Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Black mud face is racist Square Enix!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
15248347055620.jpg

:negative:

Making her arab or a nigger is more plausible. They will just say that she likes to go to the beach more frequently.:lol:

Am i a prophet or what :D ?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
That pic is comparing ingame models with a CGI. According to the journos who have played the demo, Lara looks the same from rise. She looks the same from backwards in that images from some pages ago.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:despair:
The fuck,i just saw a torrent with tomb rider film from 2018.Didn't even knew that this shit exists. After watching the trailer i was depressed,they choose some flat chested ugly bitch that i wouldn't fuck even dead drunk. Compared to this the old tomb rider movies are classics.Just look at this shit.

Ash

Arcane
urgh.

"How far we've come" from the Tomb Raider 1 to 5 days. There's nothing in common anymore except there's Tomb Raiding...oh wait there's not even that. She a survivor and representative of female powah!

:negative:

Phanax

Novice
Patron
So instead of Crystal Dynamics, this one is being made by the Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided developers?

I'm not sure what to think about that. Is that good or bad?

On one hand they made some half-decent Deus Ex-like games. On ther other hand, they made Thief 4.

Thief 4 was, if memory serves, subject to its own particular brand of development hell. Don't get me wrong - that doesn't excuse the final product - but I'm not sure if it speaks ill of the developers or Square Enix. That being said, they're still under Square Enix, so it doesn't necessarily bode well for this product anyway.

Turbo normie

Scholar
Let me guess. After mass murdering crazy russians and white cultists without guilt because "Muh survival", she will realize how fucked up she is by backstabbing one ompalumpa in the jungle.
Lara goes tumblr.

On one hand they made some half-decent Deus Ex-like games.

Games ? Oh, hell no. Mankind Divided is a fucking :decline: compared to Human Revolution.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
Kinda. Gameplay wise I think it's superior (lots more polish on the areas that needed it), but story and characters are definitely worse. I guess it doesn't help that there's no future game on the horizon to plug the holes in MD's story.

Phanax

Novice
Patron
The Bow Is Still Lara Croft's Signature Weapon, she won't get her dual-pistols in Shadow of the Tomb Raider Says the game Director

http://sirusgaming.com/2018/05/the-...apon-says-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-director/

Bisson further explains that the twin pistols have this “iconic thing” that he didn’t want to put into this trilogy and that the bow is still Lara’s signature weapon in this universe.

“It’s because the twin pistols have an iconic thing about them. For this trilogy – not saying anything about later on, I don’t know about the future titles – but for this trilogy, the bow is still her signature weapon.”
If this is the case, why did they tease the dual-pistols at the very end of 2013's Tomb Raider?

Ezekiel

Arcane
If this is the case, why did they tease the dual-pistols at the very end of 2013's Tomb Raider?
Dramatic effect. They don't really care about what Tomb Raider is. I wouldn't have much fun with dual pistols anyway with this movement.

kalganoat

Savant
I hope SE doesn't put this franchise on hold after this one and make CD and Eidos shit out a bunch of Marvel games.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oookay: https://www.pcgamesn.com/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-eidos-montreal

How Eidos Montreal are bringing a touch of Deus Ex to Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Shadow%20of%20the%20Tomb%20Raider_0.png

Eidos Montreal are no strangers to taking control of some of gaming’s biggest legends. After having impressed the world with their deft treatment of Deus Ex, the studio stumbled with Thief, but they’re looking to regain their footing with one of the medium’s most iconic characters: Lara Croft. Eidos Montreal are taking over from Crystal Dynamics for this year’s Shadow of the Tomb Raider. As such, they’re looking to put their own signature on Lara’s Mayan adventure.

“In the Mayan culture you have this transition from being a teenager to when you become a man,” David Anfossi, Eidos Montreal’s head of studio, explains. “It was interesting to read that, and work with Inca and Mayan experts to make this an analogy between Lara becoming the Tomb Raider.”

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the third and final game in Lara’s journey to becoming the kind of archaeologist superhero that the original Core Design games portrayed her as. The 2013 reboot showed her as a teenage graduate forced to become a survivor, while the sequel saw her developing the skills, knowledge, and enthusiasm required to be the Tomb Raider. Now, for the final chapter of her development, Lara must face her fears.

“In Rise she was discovering tombs,” Anfossi says. “The pattern was that she was starting from the bottom, and she was going to the top. It was blue and whites, as if she was going to heaven. This time it's the contrary, she has to face fear. Fear is the creative line for the entire game. She’s going underground and experiencing these tombs, and this will give her the chance to become the Tomb Raider.”

Rise of the Tomb Raider features a small collection of fascinating, memorable tombs, but Shadow will portray these challenges in a new light. Rather than being astonishing, beautiful relics from the Byzantine era, these Mayan constructs are all about fear and sacrifice.

“During the post-mortem of the two previous games we learned that both we and Tomb Raider fans wanted more tombs,” Anfossi says. “So we have more tombs. They are amazing, they are incredibly deadly. We created a specific team of designers to work around these challenges. All the mechanics around them is credible and could be done in real life. We are very picky with that. For the immersion you have to believe that it could be done in real life.”

Immersion is, of course, something of an Eidos Montreal speciality. Having spent the best part of the last decade working on immersive sims, the studio has come to understand the strengths of deep, free-form gameplay. It’s something they hope to double down on with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

“The way you decide to pass through a combat [scenario] is very Eidos Montreal,” Anfossi says. “In the sense that you can decide to be very stealthy, or you can start a gunfight. We give you the choice to pass through that kind of experience. Even the visuals are what I call ‘show don't tell’. It's very present, every character and environment, tells the gamer something. It's not in your face but you can feel it. Your subconscious will catch it when you play.”

The jungle environment looks to be essential in creating a take on Lara’s adventures that is in the Eidos Montreal style. Like the near-future of Deus Ex, the environment is dense and filled with details to observe and utilise. Vents and offices may be replaced with vines and trees, but they’re no less exploitable. Making use of the jungle and what you find within it will be key to the experience.

“We have additions on the platforming mechanics with the rappel, you can run on the walls now,” Anfossi reveals. “We added some verticality to this feature. Then there’s the crafting, which will be very deep, interesting, and intrinsic to the experience. When we say 'one with the jungle', it's all about survival, so the crafting will be key. We brought a lot of big things and big changes. Not in the sense that it's better than Rise of the Tomb Raider, but something new and very specific to Eidos.”

Shadow%20of%20the%20Tomb%20Raider%20mayan.png

When pressed for further details Anfossi refuses to break, teasing that E3 will reveal more of Eidos Montreal’s tweaks to the series’ formula. Should you be a fan of Crystal Dynamics’ work on the series there’s little to worry about, as Anfossi promises that they are being “respectful to the franchise,” and that their main focus is on striking the right balance of platforming, combat, and raiding tombs.

Their personal signature will no doubt be obvious, though, and from what I’ve seen so far it will be most evident in the story. “Through our work on the Deus Ex franchise, or Thief, we learned a lot about how to develop a character and a story,” Anfossi says. “The experience around Lara Croft this time sees her making mistakes, but learning from that. It's definitely something we put a lot of effort into.”

During the hour of Shadow of the Tomb Raider I played at the game’s reveal event, Lara’s personal journey was what impressed me the most. Her desperation to outpace the evil Trinity organisation has made her hasty and single-minded, causing fallout among her friends. Taking Lara to the brink of being almost unlikeable is a bold move, but one I have faith will deliver an interesting tale of self-repair. And when you consider Eidos Montreal’s strengths with Adam Jensen in Deus Ex, it would appear Lara’s story is in very good hands.

It’s easy to wish that Crystal Dynamics had finished up the Tomb Raider trilogy themselves - the 2013 reboot focused on the personal struggles of Lara more than any other game in the series prior, and it feels strange for this chapter of her story to be concluded by a different studio. But the change in hands allows Crystal Dynamics to bring their indisputable talents to The Avengers, finally providing Marvel with the opportunity to have a respectable triple-A hit.

Rather than being replaced with a B-team, Shadow of the Tomb Raider gets to be helmed by a studio who not only have been quietly supporting Crystal Dynamics since the the start of the survivor series, but who really know their way around a blockbuster videogame. The first demonstration of Shadow of the Tomb Raider only hinted at the Eidos Montreal signature, but I hope that the studio’s past work becomes more evident as we see more of Lara’s formative chapter.

Ash

Arcane
Will almost certainly be lacklustre, yet there's a high likelihood of it being better than Crystal Dynamics' garbage.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I predict more shitty stealth and arkhamcreed combat on linear maps. Also, boobs>booty and anyone who thinks otherwise is part of the decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom