Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - the final chapter from Eidos Montreal

Ezekiel

Arcane
In the true TR games you could do Goddamn backflips and shit while murdering people/animals with machine guns.
Yeah, I really don't get why that kind of over the top action is dead now. What's wrong with Lara doing cartwheels? Oh yeah, it's because everything in gaming needs to be super serious and authentic now. Give me a break.

The%2BMatrix.gif

cartwheel.gif

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like with the guy in Uncharted, these games don't work so well with the story from a gameplay stand point - because both Lara and Nate are psychos. It would be much better if you could actually knock out people, but every stealth take down is death. Like Nate has no problem snapping the neck of any unsuspecting merc that is basically just doing his job. Same goes for Lara, but she seem extra psychopathic in this one judging from the gameplay videos. Stringing people up and what not. I don't mind the shooting though, because what can you do when the shit hits the fan?

I think both of them must have around at least 100 lives each on their conscious by now.

A horse of course

Just another day in the life of Lara Croft, psycopath extraordinaire.

Lara is a stone-cold killer in every single mainline title except Anniversary.

TR1: Guns down a team of assassins/rivals
TR2: Guns down hundreds of mafioso
TR3: Genocides a tribe of subhuman cannibals, guns down hundreds of mercenaries and US Federal Employees
TLR: Guns down hundreds of arab ninjas
Chronicles: Guns down hundreds of Russian soldiers and corporate security guards
AoD: Guns down dozens of cultists
Legend: Guns down hundreds of mercenaries
Anniversary: Kills two or three dudes and feels bad about it
Underworld: Beats hundreds of mercenaries to death with a hammer
TR2013: Guns down hundreds of shipwreck survivors
Rise and Shadow: Guns down hundreds of members of a religious minority

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Like with the guy in Uncharted, these games don't work so well with the story from a gameplay stand point - because both Lara and Nate are psychos. It would be much better if you could actually knock out people, but every stealth take down is death. Like Nate has no problem snapping the neck of any unsuspecting merc that is basically just doing his job. Same goes for Lara, but she seem extra psychopathic in this one judging from the gameplay videos. Stringing people up and what not. I don't mind the shooting though, because what can you do when the shit hits the fan?

I think both of them must have around at least 100 lives each on their conscious by now.
I don't see the problem with playing "psychopath",a lot of good games do have a insane badass as the protagonist,just look at the DOOM guy. Also a merc's job is to fill you with holes mate,i to would be stabbing him.

The face is just half-assed job from the face animator,most likely frozen in a single position. Most certainly it is not intentional,unless sony fucked some of the devs and they decided to come back at them.

A horse of course

I have about 70% game completion now. Once I uncovered the weirdo new "faction" of antagonists (loosely speaking), side quests and tombs suddenly started including enemies again, whilst some of the story segments just went flat out crazy (the 1hr of straight stealth/combat/scripted explosions when you leave Paihiti and end up in the oil field). It definitely reinforces my feeling that both the scripted action sequences and combat in general are a lot "looser" than in Rise - less polished and just less enjoyable overall. The exploration and "challenge" tombs are still pretty good, especially when they surprise you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is it piratable?

EDIT: I only ask because I am concerned that they will not make enough money to continue this great revamped franchise!

Last edited:

A horse of course

Ran through another dogshit "cinematic" trial-and-error scripted sequence where everything is falling over and you have to run away (but only in the specific direction and at the exact time the developers wanted you to, also sometimes you make it but the game teleports you 10 feet back and kills you anyway). Shadow definitely shit the bed on these - out of the entire reboot trilogy they're the worst-designed incarnation of an already bad "feature".

edit: Some sales https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-for-tomb-raider-as-spider-man-reigns-supreme

The finale in the Tomb Raider reboot trilogy arrived this week to an underwhelming reception in the UK.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider's Week One sales are 25% higher than its predecessor's, 2015's Rise of the Tomb Raider. However, Rise was an exclusive to Xbox platforms (at the time), whereas Shadow is a full multi-platform release.

Compared to the first Tomb Raider reboot in 2013, first weeks sales are more than 70% down. Of course, these charts don't factor in digital sales, and digital is understood to be taking a larger percentage of the boxed market compared with five years ago. Nevertheless, it's not a huge week one for Lara Croft. 63% of launch sales came on PS4, whereas Xbox One accounted for the remaining 37%.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider debuts at No.2, which means Spider-Man retains its No.1 spot for a second week. Impressively, the Sony game's week two sales are down just 42% compared to its launch week, and it's already on the brink of eclipsing the sales of the last big PS4 exclusive: God of War (boxed sales only).

Shadow reportedly cost about 75-100 million dollars to develop, with 35 million reserved for marketing. The mixed review scores probably aren't helping, though Spider-Man is the real problem, especially with Sony's marketing behind it. Guess we can look forward to an eternity of transmedia capeshit domination.

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The game looks like a flop to me. The next weekend will be telling if the game had sunked. It looks like it sold less than 500,000 copies. Have in mind that we are talking about the publisher that whined how the first game sold only around 9 millions. This must be an epic fail in their book.

Screenshot_2018_9_17_Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider_Steam_Charts.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Soldiers kill people and they aren't called psychopaths, why should Lara and Nate? Don't #MurderShame.

A horse of course

The game looks like a flop to me. The next weekend will be telling if the game had sunked. It looks like it sold less than 500,000 copies. Have in mind that we are talking about the publisher that whined how the first game sold only around 9 millions. This must be an epic fail in their book.

Screenshot_2018_9_17_Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider_Steam_Charts.png

Meh, PC Sales are only a small part of the overall picture (off the top of my head PC sales typically account for something like 10% with AA/AAA title multiplatform sales). I remember Shadow being a top seller on Steam for quite a while. Still, all the signs so far point to sales similar to RoTTR's original Xbox One launch, which isn't stunning. I expect the weak reviews are going to accelerate the drop.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:lol: Totally forgot that consoles existed,oh well. All those backwater plebs still playing on shitty toasters. Can't wait for the moment when companies stop making those piles of plastic garbage.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Lol, people is critising Lara's personality in this game for being less caritative about the death of innocent people (During the tsunami at the beginning of the game for example). Imagine critising Lara croft in the last games for being weak and crying about everything, and then criticise her too when she becames the egocentric bitch that she actually is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom