Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real-Time Tactics Shadow of the Horned Rat

Binky

Cipher
Nice game. I may have said some unkind words about those who designed the UI (and their mothers), though. Even fully zoomed out and with the minimap turned off the battle screen is the size of a fucking stamp. I'm currently at mission 10 (?) - River Weiss.

So far, I've done everything by myself, but I am getting more and more regiments to babysit (wouldn't be a problem with a larger battle screen). Can the AI be relied upon to do anything or will I have to continue to jump around the map?

Binky

Cipher
Use the minimap to issue attack/shoot orders.
I already do this, along with giving marching orders before starting the battle. It appears mastering the minimap is gonna be crucial to winning this game.
AI can't be relied upon on Dark Omen either.
In that case, I'll try to win battles by picking fewer regiments. Cavalry for bait. Wizards, cannons & missile troops to dish out the pain. Much obliged.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
They will also gain experience faster and be more effective at that. You might want to pick a few good units and develop them in that fashion as well as have them pick up magic items with some kind of role for each of them.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Even unused regiments require a reduced upkeep, so lower tier units like the Black Avengers should be treated like the fodder they are. Since all the units appeal to the human instinct of preservation by having their own unique look and history, that's easier said than done, but keeping everyone alive eventually brings financial difficulties. The most essential unit is the Amber Wizard, who works for free. With enough experience under his belt in the late game he can casually wipe out enemy regiments with a wave of his hand.

The problem with the magic items (represented on the map by a white glint) is you can't see what they are before picking them up or pass them between units. They didn't add that feature until the sequel Dark Omen.

Binky

Cipher
"No honor, no respect, no beer!" Sounds about right. Ceridan never fucking shuts up. Should have been an option to just say, "Fuck it!" and join the Orcs in massacring the Elves. Whiny bastards.

Binky

Cipher
Finally found the time to finish this. Wizards are powerful, but magic is unreliable - I fought many battles where I didn't get enough mana to cast a single spell. Missile troops & artillery were my bread and butter. While green-hued gentlemen and their furry friends were chasing my cavalry, I used the wonders of gunpowder to blast them to smithereens. Later you can use gyrocopters to be your designated chump bait. Infantry is useless.
Final verdict: lots of fun. A few tough missions (Orc Pursuit, Shattered Pass). Worth a replay.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I never played this one I think. Just Dark Omen.
Would have preferred it to be turn based tbh... Just fits the size of the engagements better (and that A.I., haha).

There were missions in Dark Omen were I'm pretty sure you need every... Platoon(?) you have just to head off all the enemy units coming from all sides constantly.
Easy to get distracted in one part of the map only to have a portrait of your ranged guys pop up doing their best imitation of a dying zombie.

Cool game though... Melee troops seemed like little more than blockers most of the time though.

Beowulf

Arcane
Platoon(?)
The word you are looking for is - regiments.
One thing that brought Dark Omen slightly down is the fact, that all missions are basically defensive missions, where you repel wave after wave of bad guys.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Platoon(?)
The word you are looking for is - regiments.

Weird to call such small outfits regiments, but oh well. WHF and 40k never made a lick of sense. Platoon is what came to mind based on the number of guys in it.
One thing that brought Dark Omen slightly down is the fact, that all missions are basically defensive missions, where you repel wave after wave of bad guys.
Yeah, a lot of sitting around and bombarding approaching enemies with artillery while letting your wizard teleport around to lure in opponents (or kill opposing arty) and maybe hex them half to death before they reach bombardment range.
Other than that, sending out melee troops to intercept in earlier missions where you lack firepower or if something gets through.

Still pretty good times, all things considered.

Binky

Cipher
That's disappointing. Dark Omen is on my to-play list. Are there at least missions that force you to think & change your tactics a bit?

Beowulf

Arcane
That's disappointing. Dark Omen is on my to-play list. Are there at least missions that force you to think & change your tactics a bit?

It's still worth playing if you like the Old World, or good RTT games in general.

Frozen

Arcane

Well, the last mission in Dark Omen is just attack in all direction because you are surrounded.
Some missions are like that (bad ones) but its most grinding out the enemy with artillery and bright wizard that is OP as fuck.
Never played Horned Rat finished Dark Omen recently again.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Good luck (and probably some snacks and maybe a nap while game is paused) finishing the last mission on Dark Omen without bright wizard.
Doable if cannons take out enemy spell casters and lots and of lots kiting with pistoleriers equipped with anti archery shield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom