Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Seven: The Days Long Gone - Thief-inspired isometric action-RPG from former CD Projekt devs

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Action isometric 3d rpg with platforming... This can only end in a clusterfuck

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Here you have it. An action oriented RPG, best played with a gamepad, with a fast-forward button: http://www.pcgamesn.com/seven/the-w...t-for-garrett-in-thieving-isometric-rpg-seven

When somebody incants the words ‘ex-Witcher dev’, you pay attention but are none the wiser for the label. CD Projekt RED’s opus is so sprawling and multifaceted that you could pick one of many lessons and run with it. Witcher producer Tomasz Gop, for instance, took Geralt’s dodge-heavy, preparatory combat and spun it off into the Dark Souls-alike Lords of the Fallen.

What quest designer Jakub Rokosz’s Fool’s Theory have gleaned from their Witcher experience is a sense of focus. Just as CD Projekt forego character classes to double-down on the fantasy of the monster hunter who haggles for coin and sniffs out griffins, isometric RPG Seven devotes itself to one vocation only: thief.

“It was a crazy idea that in every single RPG you are always stealing things. You are always trying to get into someone’s house and rob them,” says Łukasz Kubiak, co-founder of Seven publishers and co-developers IMGN.PRO. “We could create a game in which you could be a warrior or magician or whatever, but probably most people will go into a house of NPCs and try to steal something.”

It’s a fair point, as any former Gray Foxes will concede. True to genre, there’s still a certain amount of self-determined character variation involved - you can be more warrior assassin than master sneak if you like. But in Seven, your profession is fixed; your skillset tuned toward secret excursions in the dark.

seven%201.png

Speaking of which: is this the only isometric RPG in existence to boast a parkour system?

“It’s a really action-oriented game and you can run freely through the world,” explains Kubiak. “You can run through the buildings, climb on the walls, run across the rooftops. You do not need to move slowly through the streets.”

Best played with a gamepad, Seven’s freerunning is a far cry from clicking to determine where you want your Pillars of Eternity party to be and waiting for them to turn up there. The unconventional control method is still in pre-alpha, but Fool’s Theory and IMGN.PRO are confident they’re onto something.

“The hero is [a] really fast guy, so when he’s running away or when he is chasing someone it’s pure action,” says Kubiak.

The difficulty, apparently, lies in ensuring the environments are readable to players seeking to climb all over them. By sinking time and effort into a “really awesome” clipping mask, the two developers have managed to put together buildings with clearly defined boundaries - that don’t bleed unhelpfully into the background.

seven%202.png

Where isometric RPG environments in the Black Isle tradition tend to operate as flat paintings for the player to navigate around, Seven’s world has been layered like a post-apocalyptic wedding cake. Clamber to the top of a cliff and you can appreciate the vista spreading out beneath.

“We’ve got this cool system and we want players to use it all the time,” enthuses Kubiak. “At this point you get a lot of fun from just running around the towns and the ruins of this ancient civilisation.”

Fool’s Theory and IMGN.PRO describe their setting as post-post-apocalyptic - a world that’s outlived the end of civilisation by some thousand years. Humanity has fought its way into a second medieval period - but benefits, too, from scavenged technology left over from the cataclysm.

“Our hero can use some really high-tech technology to find access to places like vaults,” says Kubiak. “We’re mixing medieval with some steampunk elements.”

seven%20judge.png

The two studios have looked to the Thief series and its peculiar pagan-punk vibe. Seven also shares a sense of vulnerability with the seminal stealth game - a protagonist weaker than his opponents, able to overcome greater odds through cunning and ingenuity.

“You are not a warrior. You are not a knight or a berserker,” warns Kubiak. “You are not using heavy swords, you are not using heavy plates. You cannot just jump in and fight with ten guys because they will kill you.”

Just as you’d be hard-pressed to name another RPG that dabbles in parkour, you’d struggle to find another stealth game with a fast-forward button - implemented here to ensure players don’t drift off while hiding from the guards.

But one thing the finest RPGs and stealth games have in common are clockwork systems that intermingle in interesting ways as the player passes through. That’s something the Seven team are clearly shooting for. They paint a picture of a player prowling about town, weapons concealed so as not to alarm the populace, overhearing the location of a well-protected prize. Once there they might infiltrate under cover of rain, knowing the streets will be emptier - but taking their time so as not to splash conspicuously in puddles.

seven%203.png

Speaking of which, there’s another characteristic of the Witcher that Kubiak’s colleagues have brought over from CD Projekt: a certain moral muddiness.

“The world is pretty complicated,” he says. “There is no black and white. Everything is grey. You are not a knight in shining armour defending people - you’re a thief.”

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks fun for people who liked jumping around on rooftops and stuff in games like Ultima VIII and Little Big Adventure.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
CDPR, Thief, Parkour, Hack&Slash, Arpegee, and the last name-drop please close the door.

Only thing they missed was to call it a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think what I saw was bad. It will be interesting to see how the game plays. It's not like there are a crapton of isometric games that focus on vertical environments. Now to wait and see how they execute the whole thing.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually think it looks it's going to be a fun game to play. I don't think it will be an RPG though

Paul_cz

Arcane
Trailer looks nice. Whether I can call it RPG depends on how much I can affect the world and story, but I like the art design and gameplay could be fun.

himmy

Arcane
From the trailer it looks like the game will be genuinely fun to play which obviously means the Codex will hate it.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
It looks promising. I'm interested also. It reminds me on old Fallout 2.

Why they didn't go with Dishonored camera view and gameplay? It could be better.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Could be interesting, but the combat look a bit weird. Auto-aim with ranged weapons? And the melee looks like it has no weight to it. A bit like Dungeon Siege III.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fucking terrible camera. Just look at that shit spinning during combat to drive you nuts.

Also it's not isometric.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom