Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter Update #13: Campaign cancelled

Themadcow

Augur
Yeah, I arrived at their KS page with a handful of notes ready to shove down the screen... and then I watched the pitch video.

Dull - sure. Uninspired - deffo. Criminally though they surgically extracted all my nostalgia and replaced what I was hoping for (a graphically and UI improved version of Pools of Darkness) with what looked like another Infinity Engine look-a-like. Never have I been so sure of backing a Kickstarter, only to find that nothing made me want the game when I saw it.

Gold Box games are a mix of decent (but obv not Wizardry level) blobber crawling and superb turn based tactical combat (up there with the original x-com not the bobbins remake) - anything that they pitch on KS outside of this basic template isn't going to get my money.

Darkzone

Arcane
Darkzone
I'm starting to doubt you ability to process arguments, and since I don't feel like repeating myself I'll just ignore the SC bit here.
And i doubt you visual and mathematical skills, but mostly your honesty. I have shown you kickstarters that behave exactly like SC, what do you want more?

Darkzone
Darkzone said:
If you remember the pitch then you remember all that matters. Successful campaigns (especially the very successful ones) are decided within the first day
SC
While your statement that a Successful campaigns are decided within the first day is wrong, because TLD and E:FoM prove you wrong. They have reached their founding goals and were therefore successful.
TLD and E:FoM did well enough in their first day to barely make their goal. Their mild success was perfectly in accordance with their weak start. I have a feeling you just don't quite understand what I'm saying, or just can't put my point together and arguing with individual words. Per my words "especially the very successful ones" it should be clear I don't mean "successful campaigns" as one that barely climb over the bar in the end. My point was, well, if you can't tell what it was after half a dozen posts from me then it's not going to happen anyway...
I have shown you Kickstarters that are successful because they have reached their founding goal and i have shown you kickstarters that have reached their founding goal on the first day, but afterwards they have gained more then 10x the revenues of the first two days. I have covered all cases. Mild start applies also to Coolest Cooler, Conan and Reaper Miniatures Bones and they were afterwards even more successful. I have proven you wrong an all cases. Name me one, that i have not covered.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have shown you kickstarters that behave exactly like SC, what do you want more?
Stop using irrelevant graphs?
Darkzone said:
I have proven you wrong an all cases. Name me one, that i have not covered.
The one that involves my point in some way maybe?
:roll: But you have no point. This irrelevant graphs show the development of revenues of the projects, and if mathematical curves and developments are not relevant for you, then you cannot be helped on this topic. TLD and E:FoM are the ones who address you point the most. TLD made only 1/8 12.5% or 25k only of the goal on the first day. E:FoM made on the first day 8k which is around 5.4% of the founding goal on the first day, and this is quite near the 4.44% of SDS.
I know one project that has mad just $190 from 22k, this is not even one percent on the first day, and has reached only after 12 days 5k that is only 22,7% of the goal, and it ended at 165% of the founding goal on the last day.
Here Hard West:
dailychart.png

On the first day only 1.1% on the first three days only 3%.

Last edited:

The Bishop

Cipher
:roll: But you have no point.
Certainly not for you.

This irrelevant graphs show the development of revenues of the projects, and if mathematical curves and developments are not relevant for you, then you cannot be helped on this topic.
I'll message you specifically when I bring up points involving "mathematical curves and developments". Before then you can pester some other random unrelated person with them. Good day.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
450k would get you 5 guys making $60k a year, plus 30% or so of their salaries in benefits (ie: health insurance, etc.) But 60k, doesn't even get an entry level programmer in the US.

Right; I'm assuming that their existing 6-person team is on board for any sort of liveable wage. $30k a year isn't great, but you won't starve to death on it (unless you live in San Francisco or New York City or something).

Yeah, I think a team of folks willing to work for a low salary in return for real world experience and the the potential for gains could do it. Teams like the folks who work on a lot of those Greenlight games probably just got out of ... one of them online game design colleges and are desperate for cred, I suppose (but aren't we all.)

I've always had this vision of creating a game myself, creating a team, all that. I'd like to believe I could figure out how to get a team set up on the cheap, but thinking about how little I'd get for that 450k or so, kinda depressing.

Kaivokz

Arcane
:roll: But you have no point.
Certainly not for you.

This irrelevant graphs show the development of revenues of the projects, and if mathematical curves and developments are not relevant for you, then you cannot be helped on this topic.
I'll message you specifically when I bring up points involving "mathematical curves and developments". Before then you can pester some other random unrelated person with them. Good day.
This is one the stupidest conversations I've had the pleasure of reading.

TL/DR Summary
Bishop: The pitch is all that matters. The pitch happens on the first day. Therefore, the first day is all that matters. Corollary, anything devs do after the first day is inconsequential.
Darkzone: Let me present you with some evidence in direct opposition to your conclusion.
Bishop: I CALL IRRELEVANT BULLSHIT! Your evidence has... maths and... numbers... and shit that I don't understand. So you're dumb and it's irrelevant.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
450k may be a lot of money for most people, but unless you're 3 guys working out of your basements it's not nearly enough to make a decent, complex, not to mention long game.

Are you fucking kidding me? 450k would fund at least 6-7 guys, 9-10 if they were really desperate trolol

Its not so bad. $45,000 is significantly less than the average salary in the gaming industry but for a bunch of guys who (mostly?) progressed in their careers and are probably in a state of relative financial security, its a decent salary for a passion project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom