Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter is LIVE

Darkzone

Arcane
1,000 backers! We shall never surrender!
That the spirit!!! Keep on fighting even to the bitter end, because if you give up, then you have already lost. That is also a reason, why i did not pulled my pledge out of their campaign. Their chances are very very low, but still it is possible.
I will only pull out, if they are very far away from their goal in the last hour, so that it is impossible to reach the goal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
1,000 backers! We shall never surrender!
That the spirit!!! Keep on fighting even to the bitter end, because if you give up, then you have already lost. That is also a reason, why i did not pulled my pledge out of their campaign. Their chances are very very low, but still it is possible.
I will only pull out, if they are very far away from their goal in the last hour, so that it is impossible to reach the goal.
If they won't make the goal, you don't need to pull out, your pledge won't be paid anyway.

Darkzone

Arcane
If they won't make the goal, you don't need to pull out, your pledge won't be paid anyway.
Yes i know this, but i have a rare spirit of being quite correct if projects make it, even if it is on the razor's edge. And i have a few projects that barely made it with just an 1k above the founding border in the last minute. Normal i would not do it, but every project that i have backed has made it, and i want to keep my records clear... ok that is a bad reason. Ok. I should back a project that has definitely no chance of being founded, too lose this ambition. Like i did it ( scratched the back with sandpaper, before all the people ) with a brand new Iphone 5 in my work place, because everyone handled this thing like an relic that needs worship and not like a simple tool.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been wondering: If you like dwarves so much (which I can absolutely understand) why did you choose the picture of a gnome as your avatar?
What? WHAT?!!!
That is one of the player portraits for Dwarves in Wizardry 8. Did your copy of Wizardry 8 mix things up? Besides that, it's a great dwarven picture with a full beard, that hawkish nose and the crimson chain coif. Not to mention, one of the best personality voicesets I've ever picked in a cRPG.
Sorry dude - that's a gnome. Go fire up your game and look in the chargen menu if you don't believe me. Dwarves are the ones with the big bulb noses. And voices aren't attached to portraits.

getter77

Augur
They have to be hoping for some RPS coverage and whatnot next week---favorably exciting coverage at that else their woes will only get compounded.

Worst case, they can surely try again with another, better prepped campaign as they'd be far from the first that needed a shot or so more to find their footing. There's lots of big moves they could pull if they open up on this and really attack from all angles---as it is now the generalities almost put it closer to the infernal and baffling info drip from SCL.

Dorateen

Arcane
Zombra Sure you're not thinking of this guy?

gnome-male.jpg

There were multiple portraits for the genders of each race.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
There might be some hope still if they get some more traction in the media. To this end I wrote an Email to Gamestar and asked them to report about the KS. They did report about about Ultima Ascendant and other KSs but nothing about 7DS so far. Most likely it will come to naught but at least I tried.

Darkzone

Arcane
They have to be hoping for some RPS coverage and whatnot next week---favorably exciting coverage at that else their woes will only get compounded.
Worst case, they can surely try again with another, better prepped campaign as they'd be far from the first that needed a shot or so more to find their footing. There's lots of big moves they could pull if they open up on this and really attack from all angles---as it is now the generalities almost put it closer to the infernal and baffling info drip from SCL.
Even if they fail in this campaign, they can return and make it much better. What would be perhaps even better, because if they invest work in their new campaign and look at the mistakes from this one, they can end up making perhaps much more revenues and they can get much more attention and coverage from media.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zombra Sure you're not thinking of this guy?
There were multiple portraits for the genders of each race.
I'm sure. I just looked in the game again. There are two male gnomes. Notice how your guy and the guy with glasses and pipe have the same nose and general facial structure.

The dwarves are the guys with the big bulb noses:
CQbsTPs.jpg

And yes, before you flip your shit, the guy without a beard is a dwarf. Make a Male Dwarf Rogue and he is the default. Again, check in-game.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Paul Murray, the "systems designer, focused on the algorithms to make the world balanced and tactical combat challenging" said about DA: I:

It is beautiful, it feels real to me. Good job! On the other hand I miss the slightly cartoonish but truly beautiful characters I had in DA2.

While it still has a basic plotline you need to follow, the world is really big and fairly open. This is not Skyrim, but close. It also has an open structure so it doesn’t feel like you are being channeled at all. Way, way, way, way better than DA2. I am going to see what happens in some play through if I ignore the plotline and just adventure. Since things respawn, I should be able to keep adventuring for a long time. I expect I will hose myself.

Talking of spawning. The spawning rate of monsters is pretty good. Not like an MMO where things spawn so fast that you don’t feel you are accomplishing anything, but fast enough for continuous random encounters. Exception: I really hate that if you load a saved game in the wilderness you are likely to reappear amid enemies!

Bioware surpassed itself with NPC personality development and conversation. I know this is a minority opinion but I love Cass. She has (eventual) fairness, integrity and a sense of humor (even if she doesn’t crack jokes).

I like that your decisions mean something. From reading the forums, this appears to be at about the same level as DAO… your decisions make a difference, but you are still led through chapters to the end game. Meaning you can’t just kill an annoying cleric early on, and damn the consequences. On the other hand it does not appear that you are forced to do things that are against your code to progress in the game.

Combat is interesting with cross class combos that work a bit better. Some classes are much harder to play than others, until you get to high level and have super customized equipment.

Characters have a decent set of abilities, no one best build and room to tinker. They introduced guard and barriers which act as temporary hit points, a really good idea.

Old-school my ass!

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Normal i would not do it, but every project that i have backed has made it, and i want to keep my records clear... ok that is a bad reason.

No kidding, that's a bad reason. It's completely loopy. If you really need motivation to maintain a pledge for a losing project unto the bitter end, consider it a record of the times your taste exceeded that of the drooling masses. Or a wistful gallery of that which could never be.

That is one of the player portraits for Dwarves in Wizardry 8. Did your copy of Wizardry 8 mix things up? Besides that, it's a great dwarven picture with a full beard, that hawkish nose and the crimson chain coif. Not to mention, one of the best personality voicesets I've ever picked in a cRPG.

It's definitely one of the gnome images. You can choose portraits from any raceset when creating characters, so maybe you switched to the next race and found the gnome image more appealing than any of the dwarf images. Or maybe you had so many dwarves in your party that you had to dip into the gnome pool.

DarkArcher

Educated
Geez, just back the game and help them fix it. So far, it looks like they just need money and feedback to make a great RPG. If they don't make it, we're not gonna see this type of thing again...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Now we know the real reason why Sir-Tech went bankrupt.
Yeah, to be fair: The dwarf avatars don't look particularly appealing and the gnomes with their beards look more like dwarves than the dwarves.
Actually I just had a look at all portraits and - apart from humans and mooks - good portaits seem to be the exception. Well, there had to be one thing about the game's character creation that wasn't completely awesome. Would have been boring otherwise:M

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Goddamn my last post here was mean. Pool of Radiance and Dark Queen of Krynn were two of my favorite games when I was a kid. Fuck this shit depresses me. :(

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
So, the first 4 updates were meaningless shite. Look, a generic screen straight out of Dungeon Siege! We hit 10% of the goal! A SWORD! Finally, an update on the character system and what do we get? 6 short paragraphs full of nothing. Must be that space restriction thing again.

You may have have noticed some bits on character creation in the KS video, and I wanted to expand on some aspects. At its heart, SDS is a points based system with about 80 abilities each having ranks and costs. To create a character, players choose a Race, a Class and a Specialty. Each of these is a container of abilities, with each Class containing the same number of points as each other Class

Abilities run the gamut from offense to defense, mobility to senses, stats to skills. For example, a Dwarf has higher resistance to damage, and resistance to knockback, among his abilities. Each combination of Race/Class/Specialty yields a different balance. Some of the combinations seem obvious, Tough Knight, Rogue Scout, but the reverse of these combinations will also produce viable characters.

A Rogue Knight wouldn't have the stacked defenses of a Tough Knight, but he'd make an effective point man, with heavy armor for ambushes, and the skills to spot and disarm traps. A Tough Scout could slip into the back ranks of enemies, and still survive any counterattacks.

As characters advance, they gain points to upgrade their current abilities, or purchase new ones. Some abilities are reserved for particular Races, Classes, and Specialties, while others are open to all characters. So the player can either double down on his current set up, or broaden his characters to make them more adaptable to situations.

The values for each character's five main statistics (strength, dexterity, spirit, intelligence and hit points) comes from the choice of Class and Specialty. Buying additional ranks in Statistic Boost or Hit Point Boost will improve these later in the game. Statistics are used with Skills, and improve damage, Strength for heavy weapons, Dexterity for bows and light weapons, and Intelligence for Spells.

The whole goal of this system is to allow easy creation of the whole party, with lots of room for customization, and no degenerate solutions. In short, a great testbed for experimenting. Let me know if there are other aspects which interest you. The exact balance with each Class, etc. won't be set in stone until we finish final balance, of course, but the broad strokes are in place.
Summary: we have races, classes, and abilities. You can combine them in different ways, which is how it always works. As you level up, you can improve abilities or buy new ones. You have 3 lousy stats: str (heavy weapons), dex (ranged), int (spells), plus HP and Mana.

Let me know if there are other aspects which interest you.
No, David, I think you've covered pretty much everything. Thank you for a very informative and thought-provoking update.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
The ability to combine different specialities with the classes seems to open up interesting combinations for character creation. The specialities would be something I would like to know more about.

Darkzone

Arcane
Summary: we have races, classes, and abilities. You can combine them in different ways, which is how it always works. As you level up, you can improve abilities or buy new ones. You have 3 lousy stats: str (heavy weapons), dex (ranged), int (spells), plus HP and Mana.
Yes that is very poor. Sounds more like a combat oriented RPG, just like the old gold box games.

Let me know if there are other aspects which interest you.
No, David, I think you've covered pretty much everything. Thank you for a very informative and thought-provoking update.
Sarcastic bite, but quite correct. They have said literally nothing new in this update.

Honestly i believe more and more that they want to fail this kickstarter. No description of different races or how many different classes they have, and even no deeper description of the class abilities. A knight is tough is no description of the knight class, it is a statement about the obvious.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
A knight is tough is no description of the knight class, it is a statement about the obvious.

You are missing the point here though, you choose a speciality for the class - it works like [race] [class] [speciality]. They have not given a lot of info about the available specialities yet - the only two I know of is 'Tough' and 'Rogue' (note thats not a class). What you call obvious would be an apparent tank build - say Tough Dwarven Knight. You don't have to chose the 'Tough' speciality though, as Dave has said in the update - you can make interesting builds (that may seem counter intuitive) by combining the three elements - say Rogue Knight or Tough Scout. The system seems to be designed to play around with these and come up with unique combinations.

To see how this actually plays out we would really need more information about what classes, races and specialities there actually are though.

Dorateen

Arcane
A lot of the detailed information, nuts and bolts about the mechanics was detailed here:

http://7dragonsaga.com/

While it is unfortunate that it is no longer public, some of us did catch a glimpse and have reason to be excited about the system that is the underlying framework for this project. How it would be implemented in a computer version would be very interesting to see.

Weasel
While it is unfortunate that it is no longer public, some of us did catch a glimpse and have reason to be excited about the system that is the underlying framework for this project.

Guess we'll just have to take your word for it then. Although I've always been rather hesitant to trust gnomes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom