Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter is LIVE

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I've just finished another replay of Pool of Radiance... and you know, fuck it! I will pledge $100 tomorrow. No matter how shitty their pitch is, these guys are BROs and they deserve my support.

Dorateen

Arcane
Personally, I would have gone with the Dwarf Knight in a head scarf, but what do I know.

Speaking of which, one of the things I liked from the gameplay part of the video, was where the dwarf made that attack and takes out two green goblinoid creatures at once. It reminded me of the "sweep" ability where fighter characters could get consecutive attacks as they kill low-level enemies.

Weasel
Personally, I would have gone with the Dwarf Knight in a head scarf, but what do I know.

Speaking of which, one of the things I liked from the gameplay part of the video, was where the dwarf made that attack and takes out two green goblinoid creatures at once. It reminded me of the "sweep" ability where fighter characters could get consecutive attacks as they kill low-level enemies.

Yes, that brings back memories of the first RPG I ever played, PoR on a Commodore 64. The first time my dwarf fighter (imaginatively named Thrain) swept I wondered what the hell was going on as multiple skull and crossbones appeared. Good times.

Sigh, gotta agree with Sordid MCA and go ahead and pledge. If ever I'm going to overlook the shortfallings of a campaign and pledge on nostalgia alone it should be now.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aw, the video still changed again. Actually that picture of the woods and sunbeams with the title looks pretty nice. I thought the dragon logo looked awesome, but hey.

Pony King

Educated
If any of you people have the time and energy to shill this kickstarter to the unwashed massed I don't think anyone has mentioned it on the gaming subreddits:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/
http://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/
http://www.reddit.com/r/gamernews/

Even a 0.1% readers to backers conversion rate would help the project a lot.

This one is tiny but has been covered by someone: http://www.reddit.com/r/rpg_gamers/comments/2yplr4/seven_dragon_saga_by_tactical_simulations/

DeepOcean

Arcane
They are a bit awkward on the video but I liked the prototype, this game has potential but this will be a hard one, unfortunately, only a little bit over 10% of the goal? By now, it should be 20% or more for they to have a clear chance of hitting 450.000. Wasteland 2 teach me a lesson, it is a bad idea to always trust on the super charismatic guy and actually awkward nerd people are exactly the people you need to do the job.

Anyway, if they gone the 2d art rout, I would go from "interested, just waiting and seeing" to "seriously thinking on start fapping."

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are a bit awkward on the video but I liked the prototype, this game has potential but this will be a hard one, unfortunately, only a little bit over 10% of the goal? By now, it should be 20% or more for they to have a clear chance of hitting 450.000.

I think most sucessful KS build slow, usually tend to stall in the middle, and reach their goal in the last 5 days. Sometimes it's a real close call. Just look at the Underworld Ascendant one.
And it had some big guys giving support (Richard Garriott, Chris Roberts, Warren Spector).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Underworld Ascendant was not a close call. They made over 200k more than their funding goal, and there was never any real doubt that they would make it after they earned 200,000 dollars within the first few days. It was just slow going.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe you're right. But it was really sssssssssllloooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww.
Specially considering that we're talking of ex-Looking Glass guys. Even if their KS campaign was shit just the reputation should have earned them something.

Look at Kingdom Come's KS.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright, even though I have been tempted I have never pledged for a Kickstarter so far (for several reasons). I have just made an account solely to back this. Felt like the time was right. Seems really slow going so far but I wish them best of luck and hope this somehow gets some more momentum.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I read the entire MMORPG interview and they didn't offer a single detail which makes their game stand out from any other generic, turn based, RPG. It's like they are actively trying to not get funded.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I read the entire MMORPG interview and they didn't offer a single detail which makes their game stand out from any other generic, turn based, RPG. It's like they are actively trying to not get funded.
Yes, it's sometimes hard to decide, which of the hundreds of upcomming TB RPGs one wants to support. Most are just so generic.

I've been wondering: If you like dwarves so much (which I can absolutely understand) why did you choose the picture of a gnome as your avatar?

OT: I wouldn't be surprized if they made the 450k. Some shout-outs from other veterans, some more media coverage with some more details should do the trick. What I'm more worried about is that they stapled low with the required sum as many campaigns are wont to do. And in truth they need something closer to 1 mio to make a game that's not just the cut shell of something great... :/

roshan

Arcane
Watching the video just made me feel bad for those guys :(

Dunno how this has anything going for it. Your characters being super special seems be some sort of 13 year old's wish fulfillment fantasy. The graphics look utterly terrible, they really should have gone with 2D. The music is boring, and the dragon battle didn't look interesting at all. The setting seems generic, and worse, what little has been revealed is a weird hodgepodge of high fantasy and eastern cliches. Read through the text in their kickstarter but only the part about the goals and the borderlands said "hey, this could be interesting".

Pretty sad.....

Athelas

Arcane
Yes, it's sometimes hard to decide, which of the hundreds of upcomming TB RPGs one wants to support. Most are just so generic.
I know this is supposed to be sarcastic, but there are quite a few turn-based RPG's being released these days. The 2014 top-10 has more than twice as many turn-based entries as the all-time top 10.

Last edited:

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
While I understand that some peple are sceptical about the concept of being 'touched' it does not seem to me to be particularly intended to turn out as yet another 'chosen one' variant. What I took away from what I have read so far, the point is that you are part of an elite order of the empire. For the same reason there will be no low level 'running around with rusty swords' (as Dave Shelly put it) in the beginning. While I usually enjoy 'the low level experience' from a gameplay perspective, I think it makes sense for what they are trying to achieve here. You are supposed to feel like a power factor within the empire and its apparently various political factions right away. If done right, this really has some potential. You are the guys that enforce the will of the emperor, in whatever fashion you deem fit.

Another thing that strikes me as relatively unique about this, correct me if I am wrong, but usually in these kind of settings empires are evil, right? They subjugate lesser nations by force and ruthlessly implement imperial policies on them. We do not yet know a lot about the setting or the plot and it may well turn into the direction of 'rebels overthrowing the government' in the end but the starting point seems to be that you are supposed to be in charge of implementation of this kind of imperial policy in a region which is not yet under control of the empire. There are so many inherent conflicts there that I really think this has a ton of potential (in terms of story and C&C) if done right. If anything, it certainly sounds a lot different from the 'rid the world of ancient evil' routine.

I think the injection of some eastern themes into a traditional high fantasy setting can lead to interesting results as well. Even though part of me thinks that they perhaps should have gone all-out on the eastern theme, I am looking forward on how that will play out.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
I've been wondering: If you like dwarves so much (which I can absolutely understand) why did you choose the picture of a gnome as your avatar?

What? WHAT?!!!

That is one of the player portraits for Dwarves in Wizardry 8. Did your copy of Wizardry 8 mix things up? Besides that, it's a great dwarven picture with a full beard, that hawkish nose and the crimson chain coif. Not to mention, one of the best personality voicesets I've ever picked in a cRPG.

"Aye, that's the game!"

Shevek

Arcane
Folks critisizing this for having a generic story have it all wrong. They should PROMOTE this having a generic story. They should have focused much more on promoting the 80s Fantasy Aesthetic (Beastmaster, Conan, Neverending Story, Krull, etc) and discussing how they plan to capture that and the classic Gold Box gameplay with modern 3d graphics. The nostalgia points would have gone through the roof.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've had several problems with these devs for months. They've never wanted to create a Gold Box successor. They want to create an idealized Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, without realizing the work that comes with it. They've been extremely lazy, arrogant, and uninformed about it too. They also exaggerate a lot. For example, this paper and pencil business is clearly a few horseshit adventures they played to house rules. I think that they think that they made Bioware. They might be right too, but that no longer matters. Now they want to outdo Bioware without realizing that whatever idea they had is a sinking ship. It's not Gold Box or Baldur's Gate. It's a stinking wannabe and it's obvious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom