Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Seven Dragon Saga Kickstarter is LIVE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wish them the best, bless their hearts, but I really don't see how anyone looked at that pitch video and went "yeah, that should work". If I didn't know anything about these guys, which is how most people will feel, I would just assume it's a motley crew of well-wishing amateurs trying to make a game.

I'm not talking about turning yourself into a snake oil salesman or selling your soul for marketing cred, but for fuck's sake, watch some of the successful pitches, look at your pitch and tell me what differences you see. Not every studio can have someone who is effortlessly cool, like Fargo or Swen, but that doesn't mean you have to fill the screen with people so awkward I feel like punching them for their lunch money through the screen. I'm sure they're fully competent people in what they do, but have someone who seems like they can pull this thing off talk most of the time.

Dave Shelley seems like a pretty cool guy, IMO. Cleve would approve of his phenotype. The others, not as much.

jdinatale

Cipher
eTXaTay.png

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish them the best, bless their hearts, but I really don't see how anyone looked at that pitch video and went "yeah, that should work". If I didn't know anything about these guys, which is how most people will feel, I would just assume it's a motley crew of well-wishing amateurs old-timers trying to make a game.

FTFY

I'm not talking about turning yourself into a snake oil salesman or selling your soul for marketing cred, but for fuck's sake, watch some of the successful pitches, look at your pitch and tell me what differences you see. Not every studio can have someone who is effortlessly cool, like Fargo or Swen, but that doesn't mean you have to fill the screen with people so awkward I feel like punching them for their lunch money through the screen. I'm sure they're fully competent people in what they do, but have someone who seems like they can pull this thing off talk most of the time.

I'm feeling pretty much the same way. I had a laugh at how unsure they all were, except Klein, who came across wooden.

Wish they had gone with 2D, but will still back for a good amount.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Not sure why they didn't go with 2d, especially with the attention games like PoE and Torment are getting.

Maybe the lack the artists?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First update: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...y-tactical-simulations-interact/posts/1163015

Launch day is becoming launch night and we could not be more thankful for this tremendous show of support. What you all have demonstrated is a clear demand for quality, fun experiences and with your help that's exactly what we'll deliver for Seven Dragon Saga!

We've received some excellent questions over the last few hours and here are our answers to some of the most common questions thus far-
  • Yes: we plan to add support for other languages, the exact mix is still under discussion, so we’ll be monitoring the backers to see where demand is greatest.
  • Yes: We plan to release the game for PC/Mac/Linux (Steam and DRM free)
  • Pricing. A few people inquired about our decision to price the game for $25, which is tied to the larger number of hours of gameplay we plan to deliver! Much like the Gold Box games of yore.
Though we accomplished a great deal today, the Kickstarter marathon has just begun. So we ask that you continue to share this project with your friends and colleagues, send us questions and post your feedback. With all of that and your support, we're sure to create a role-playing adventure you will love to play.

Over the next weeks we will be providing a steady stream of design explanations. We allude to many design choices on our page, but the limited space prevents us from fleshing out the details. Keep letting us know what features excite you the most, or that you’d like more information on.

Sincerely, - The TSI Team

Turok

Erudite
Why they don't show anything about the old SSI games, i still don't know what the hell is the GOLD box that i hear here since 10 years ago...

Grubba

Arcane
I would've started the pitch video with some kind of intro/opening concept art, maybe a highlights reel of the gameplay video, interspersed with screenshots and box art of the old SSI titles, with big bold text that said "remember those games? we did that."

My first thoughts as well. The actual gold boxes in the background aren't enough, they need to show some gameplay footage. Those old game boxes are classic and iconic for a very small percentage of people, whereas the games themsleves are probably more recognizable for a wider range of computer game players, young and old. They don't need much, just a bit to jog people's memory (maybe a quick montage from different games and talk about them briefly). And yes, rather than just mention that they're SSI vets they need to show the actual games and basically say, "These are considered classics and we made them". I really felt like they didn't do enough to establish their credibility and experience.

I'll probably back this for $25 but I...don't have a good feeling about this. If there was really a big nostalgic audience for this game I would've thought they would have had a better day 1 performance. How did other recent KS games fare in their first few days?

lurker3000

Arcane
I wish that game play footage looked like the GB games - 2d with shitty awesome sprites and all. Anyway waiting to see what the game mechanics are based on.

Also I was punched right in the childhood by this game box behind the guys:

1186288782-00.jpg

I played the PC version but whatever. If I remember correctly there was literally no point to the game but to advance your pilots ranks until they got promoted out the game. They would then be replaced by rookie pilots and thus the game went on forever.

God what a glorious time sink.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex fundraiser when?

Also is Edwin McRae 'Strayan or something? What accent is that?

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

A shame really, because some of their ideas seem cool on paper.

As someone who never played any of the Goldbox games - but always hear veteran gamers rave about the great times they've had with these games, i wanted in on that experience.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

As someone who never played any of the Goldbox games - but always hear veteran gamers rave about the great times they've had with these games, i wanted in on that experience.

A Codex fundraiser for $1000 means we get to help design a faction.

The Grognardians, a tribe of grey beards who believe all the laws governing society must be uneven in scope and applicability. Cast spells that screw up the balance of the party's character progression.

Murk

Arcane
Why they don't show anything about the old SSI games, i still don't know what the hell is the GOLD box that i hear here since 10 years ago...

you're on the internet. use it.

GlutenBurger

Cipher

Sounds a bit Australian, and not even the creepy posh South Australian variant, but I don't like to admit it because I checked his blog and he seems fond of Bioshock Infinite. Almost made me retract my pledge, but I'll give the team as a whole a chance to screw up spectacularly before I do.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

Sounds a bit Australian, and not even the creepy posh South Australian variant, but I don't like to admit it because I checked his blog and he seems fond of Bioshock Infinite. Almost made me retract my pledge, but I'll give the team as a whole a chance to screw up spectacularly before I do.

That's a New Zealand accent.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

It's not quite the same (since it also draws from Shattered Lands and isn't quite as open) but you should check out Knights of the Chalice if you haven't already done so.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
A Kickstarter needs three things to succeed:

1) A strong pitch and campaign
2) A strong community
3) A strong brand

Underworld had a campaign that started meh and got worse, but the OtherSiders worked very hard on interacting with the community and they had a decent brand, so they made it. Seven Dragon Saga's pitch is better than Underworld's, but still not great, and they have no community and a weak brand, so they're toast.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom