Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

m_s0

Arcane
Ultimately everything depends on how they handle(d) the publicity. And on what they want to make.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are plenty of people on their Facebook page talking about it and a few other forums I frequent. I'm sure that word will get around once things get going. Sometimes these things start slowly. At the moment, they have nothing but an announcement anyway, so there's not a lot to get too excited about until we know more. Once we start seeing something, word will start to spread.

Hopefully they won't jump into a KS right away but allow more info to come out over time to buildup that hype-train. The successful KS are the ones who go this route. Don't try and build most of your momentum during the KS as you need that initial first few days money bounce to get things really moving forward.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
[ However, outside of the Codex is this getting any buildup coverage/ hype? If not I don't see it being too terribly successful... :(

Well...

"No results found for "seven dragon saga" site:gog.com."
how GoG or steam or (insert other digital retailer) can propose something that isn't yet announced?Don't forget the official site is not yet official, and outside codex and few sites, no one is supposed to know its existence.The only official things are the new TSI dev studio and a countdown

Also, lots of site have reported what Codex has discovered:
https://www.google.fr/search?q=tsi seven dragon saga&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ozwDVPvwDYv8cfftgIgD

octavius

Arcane
Patron
[ However, outside of the Codex is this getting any buildup coverage/ hype? If not I don't see it being too terribly successful... :(

Well...

how GoG or steam or (insert other digital retailer) can propose something that isn't yet announced?

They have forums that AFAIK have more traffic than RPG Codex. I would have thought that someone interested in good old games would have mentioned it.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron

Well...

how GoG or steam or (insert other digital retailer) can propose something that isn't yet announced?

They have forums that AFAIK have more traffic than RPG Codex. I would have thought that someone interested in good old games would have mentioned it.
It could work if GoG could be able to sell SSI goldbox games.But, as it is not the case, are the gog forums well placed to talk about them?Also, not all the GoG fans are niche cRPGs players, although cRPG are often bestsellers at GoG.
Checking a SSI research on GOG forum, and see how results are quite deceiving.It's not as if the goldbox games are the most wanted amongst the community, specially these last years
http://af.gog.com/forum/general/page1/?search=ssi&as=1649904300

So, it's not about traffic, but about niche cRPG and/or nostalgic gamers.So specialized site are most effective when it's about promoting something like a TSI project

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Update :M

Seven Dragon Saga – the epic RPG debut title from Tactical Simulations Interactive

New independent video games studio formed by SSI alumni, updates “Gold Box” RPG experience with modern tech and new core gaming system

Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI) is excited to officially announce Seven Dragon Saga – an original RPG for PC, Mac, and Linux, based upon an original pen and paper role-playing system designed by former Strategic Simulations Interactive (SSI) alumni Keith Brors and David Shelley.

Seven Dragon Saga takes place in a high-powered fantasy universe, revolving around the Empire of the Seven Dragons. Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Saga provides the player with effective heroes right from the start, with TSI aiming to provide the next step in meaningful player experiences in the same way that SSI’s ‘Gold Box’ titles did during the 1980s and 1990s.

This is not a tale of farmers or aspiring novices learning how to swing a sword; Seven Dragon Saga is a tale about the use of power. Players will need to assemble a brave troupe of adventurers “touched by the winds of the chaos”. Known as the Touched, these brave adventurers will face the unknown, and embark on a quest to discover hidden truths and determine the fate of the Empire.

It is the Emperor’s role to proclaim.
It is the Dragons’ role to command.
It is the role of the Touched to act, without hesitation and without regret.

David Shelley, Producer/Lead Designer, Seven Dragon Saga, said:
“Seven Dragon Saga provides a robust rules system and fresh campaign setting for us to draw from. We’re adapting the pen and paper system as the seed to develop a compelling game experience, creating the type of strategy fantasy game our team is known for.”

Seven Dragon Saga sets a new standard for intricate turn-based combat that can be adapted to your party’s strengths. Explore a new high fantasy realm, recruit powerful NPCs, and craft useful items during your party’s quest to discover lost secrets and transform the world. Key features include:

• Classic RPG / Modern Gameplay:
Create a full party under your total control right from the start. Venture forth to uncover lost secrets in an original fantasy setting.

• Strategic Combat:
Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.

• Weigh Your Decisions:
One group’s ally is another faction’s enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?

• Proven Technology:
Seven Dragon Saga is built using the Unity3D engine (Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, Shroud of the Avatar).

Tactical Simulations Interactive will reveal more details about Seven Dragon Saga in the near future.

ZNFTJpB.png

The High Ruins
Afelon legends claim it was once a powerful kingdom.The great ruins of the mountains and high plateaus bear this out. Guarded by fell beasts, what do they hide?

WlKSk4h.png

The Northern Fens
North, beyond the smoking Firewind Peaks, lies a vast, trackless swamp. Ruins, far older and darker than those of the high plateaus beckon, but none who journey there return.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full party creation, not "Chosen One + d00ds" is an important point. It's certainly what I expected from ex-SSI, but still. Significant. :)

The whole thing with "The Touched" sounds distinctive enough to make the world unique, but not outrageous enough to be distracting or come across as gimmicky. I approve.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
intricate turn-based combat

• Weigh Your Decisions:
One group’s ally is another faction’s enemy. Make meaningful social/political choices that directly impact the world around you. Will you pursue duty and honor or choose riches and adventure with little concern for the consequences?

Could this be the very first game to have both a good combat system as well as Choices&Consequences?

Gozma

Arcane
Bleah, they shouldn't try C&C shit. It's too hard to get right without experience and the niche is being served. FP exploration + tb/tile combat. The whole thing where everyone stopped doing combat and exploration in two different interfaces was just a fad, a fad I say

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Could this be the very first game to have both a good combat system as well as Choices&Consequences?
I'll settle for a good combat system. I'm not expecting the branchiest CYOA of all time. I never say no to C&C, but that's not what I'll give these guys my money for.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DUTY or RICHES isn't exactly what I'd call awesome C&C either.
Eschewing traditional RPG tropes, Seven Dragon Saga provides the player with effective heroes right from the start,
Good.

Modern Gameplay
Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies.
I can only hope, but I remain skeptical after seeing that tabletop mess.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Hm, the second timer is still showing different numbers depend on visitor's time zone, like the first one. Didn't they realize the timer is broken?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I guess we shall find out tomorrow PST, which I assume is what the counter is supposed to read.

I hope they can show some actual gameplay.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sounds great but:
• Strategic Combat:
Face challenges in turn-based tactical combat, updated with modern design philosophies. Carefully maneuver your party taking advantage of terrain and destructible environments.
Former SSI current TSI not knowing the difference between strategic and tactical is very :patriot:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Sounds great but:
• Strategic Combat:
Former SSI current TSI not knowing the difference between strategic and tactical is very :patriot:
since pots, memorized spells, scrolls, hp and the likes all represent resources, tactical combat in rpgs always also involves longterm logistics and is therefore strategical.

Shannow

Waster of Time
...and factions you join/support, character and party development, choice of weapons, etc. All may have an strategic impact. All of that, however, has no relevance whatsoever to what TSI wrote or the point I made. I'd make up a list of bullet point titles only to write about different stuff in their captions, but I simply can't be arsed.
TSI used strategic and tactical interchangeably and that is quite :patriot:, no matter how much you try to argue beside the point ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom