Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Sinatar

Arbiter
Here's some stuff from the rest of the site before it gets pulled:

Seven Dragon Saga allows the player to create and customize a full party of adventurers and maneuver them in detailed, turn-based tactical combat. You won’t find any rat-hunting farmers here- characters begin with a suite of talents. Rather, the characters are ‘Touched by the winds of chaos’, and destined for great successes or spectacular demises.

Explore a rich world, uncover lost treasures, deal with challenging social and political situations. The player’s choices alter the world in meaningful ways, both physically and socially. Sent by the Empire of the Seven Dragons to the minor Kingdom of Afelon, the party must uncover who is driving the land to civil war and whether that conspiracy might pose a threat to the Empire at large. What mysteries lie in the surrounding, monster-infested peaks? Who is worthy of trust and who only of death?

People will ask “why aren’t you (re-)making (insert favorite here)”, instead of Seven Dragon Saga?

The short answer is that it isn’t entirely up to us. We are, however, incredibly excited about the new endeavor we’ve chosen.

Once our core team decided to embark on this venture, the very next question was: “what should we do for our first project?” We knew initially that we wanted to do a fantasy RPG but, we also needed to take a hard look at how the landscape has changed and what our development roadmap would look like. Fortunately, we had an immediate opportunity to work with a robust rule system and game world. The Seven Dragon Saga is the brainchild of David Shelley and Keith Brors (also an SSI alumni and veteran engineer). Both have been part of a weekly tabletop role-playing since before SSI formed. Being engineers and designers, David and Keith have created and refined their own system over the years. Licensing the game to TSI and getting to work on the computer game itself became a tremendous opportunity. TSI gained a developed system to work from, access to its creators, and the creative freedom to make the ideal game.

Opportunities to work with (insert favorite game/RPG system) are a definite possibility for the future.

TSI is a new enterprise. Naturally, there are a lot of questions including “what took you guys so long”?

Honestly, it took time for the industry to mature and for us to find the resources. Three things had to happen:

1. The technology and costs had to allow for the opportunity to make sense. The shift from PC to consoles was a contributing factor to SSI being sold, as was, PC RPG’s falling out of vogue for publishers. However, digital distribution and terrific tools like Unity3D have lowered the barrier to create quality games.

2. There needed to be a clear demand. Reaction to titles like “Legend of Grimrock” and “Wasteland 2” has demonstrated that there IS an interest for classic RPG gameplay.

3. Getting a passionate team together was vital. Like many of you, David Klein grew up playing SSI games on his Apple IIe (then AppleIIGS/Amiga2000/PC). David’s the one that raised an initial round of funding, and then set out to create a company that could recapture the classic games he loved to play. He sought out David Shelley, a lead designer on many of SSI’s games, to lead the design on TSI’s first project. David Shelley was part of a close circle of alumni friends, and he brought in Paul Murray, an engineer and designer of Wizard’s Crown, Eternal Dagger, many Gold Box games, as well as, the Panzer General series. Every member of the team is excited about creating a compelling experience. We’re fortunate to have several former SSI members and other artists and engineers contributing to the ground work for Seven Dragon Saga, a classic RPG for the modern age

TSI started out as a dream. A dream many of you seem to share. It’s the return of a company you could depend upon to consistently deliver a meaningful RPG experience. While there are many classic RPG franchises and several talented studios, SSI and the Gold Box games delivered, time and again, a new adventure using the same type of compelling, tactical experience. You knew exactly what you were getting: proven technology, a great system/setting, and strategic, party-based combat. Our company, TSI, was formed in that same spirit. While we’ve quietly been working for several months, it’s still early in the overall scheme of things, so please be patient as we role out assets and additional details for what we have planned. We are thrilled to finally be able to share information about our company and our projects.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When I finish Wizardry 3, I think Wizard's Crown will be my next game. Seems like a good time to finally try it now, while waiting in throbbing anticipation for Seven Dragon saga.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well this is starting to look and sound more interesting. Let's just hope they don't have anymore "bumps in the road" as they approach and commence their Kickstarter campaign.

m_s0

Arcane
qB1vvWs.png

Dwarves look cool as middle-easterns. Is this enough to stop people from crying "ANIME SHIT!"?

There's even a forum, that seems to have been created just a couple of days ago. They really weren't ready for a decent reveal before.
Hey, this dwarf looks cool, when I heard it would have animu faggotry I tought in big heads, big eyes, Tokyo high school stupid bitches in jumpsuits being raped by tentacle monsters. This look cool. If they make suicide bomber dwarves, it is a D1P for me.
I'm thinking they probably wanted to provide a point of reference for people who aren't familiar with wuxia and for some reason they chose anime (which is way too broad). If this is indicative of how the game is going to look like then I'm happy. It's about as far from the Pathfinder barbarian as you can get. Reminds me a bit of some of the AD&D 2e art.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't like In Nomine that much, I prefer to play in Hellblazer's setting. Transhuman Space is p. cool but it's not like I can't get what I get from it in other settings. I like Mage better than Technomancer.

Anyway, you're right, I was way too harsh. What I meant to say was: "90% of the time, I would rather play in a non-native setting that does what the GURPS setting does but better."

I don't like Banestorm that much because when I feel like designing games in it I always end up thinking "why aren't I just designing an Infinite Worlds game instead?"
Ehh, the joys of having awesome groups for roleplaying :negative:.
As a guy living in bumfuck Romania, finding people willing to even try tabletop games of any kind is hard enough. And most of them are D&D/Pathfinder fanatics. Getting them out of their comfort zone is a hard feat in itself, let alone testing their patience and trying to use/design GURPS settings that don't have easy-to-access sources of information or pre-established rules. A Hellblazer GURPS session would require them to read the comics, which would be an absolute no-no.

That's also why I'm using Banestorm. It's a carry-over from using GURPS Fantasy II, which was the only way me and a friend could convince the rest of the group to try a different system. We only ran In Nomine for a few sessions and never tried Transhuman Space, only read the books :(.

Fair enough. Like I said, I spoke too harshly and unfairly when I called the settings sloppy. They're not.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hey, this dwarf looks cool, when I heard it would have animu faggotry I tought in big heads, big eyes, Tokyo high school stupid bitches in jumpsuits being raped by tentacle monsters. This look cool. If they make suicide bomber dwarves, it is a D1P for me.
I'm thinking they probably wanted to provide a point of reference for people who aren't familiar with wuxia and for some reason they chose anime (which is way too broad). If this is indicative of how the game is going to look like then I'm happy. It's about as far from the Pathfinder barbarian as you can get. Reminds me a bit of some of the AD&D 2e art.
Not to mention Wuxia has nothing to do with anime. Wuxia is just Chinese medieval fantasy setting, ~1000-1200 AD. Like BG2 with more Kenseis and Monks running around than regular Fighters; it doesn't get any more "animu" than that. Think Prince of Qin.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Not to mention Wuxia has nothing to do with anime. Wuxia is just Chinese medieval fantasy setting, ~1000-1200 AD. Like BG2 with more Kenseis and Monks running around than regular Fighters; it doesn't get any more "animu" than that. Think Prince of Qin.
So this will be Chinese inspired medieval fantasy with martial arts and sci-fi at same time?Jesus, this thread had gone to so much ups and downs that I got slightly dizzy.:lol:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
So this will be Chinese inspired medieval fantasy with martial arts and sci-fi at same time?Jesus, this thread had gone to so much ups and downs that I got slightly dizzy.:lol:
Well, martial arts is basically at the forefront of all Chinese medieval fantasy novels. I guess I should put "medieval" in quotes.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
The dwarf doesn't look any anything wuxia either. Still, it's good that they're talking about actual gameplay instead of "cool effects". I will start Cautiously Fapping.

m_s0

Arcane
Yup, I know. They did say it was going to be over the top, though, so they might be thinking wuxia = funny looking Chinese people flying around or jumping from treetop to treetop Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-style specifically. If that's the case I guess I can kind of understand the reasoning that went into them picking anime, but they really need to be specific about the feel they're going for and I hope they'll clarify that in the pitch.

Let's just hope that by 'anime' they didn't mean Dragon Ball.

catfood

AGAIN
I don't like In Nomine that much, I prefer to play in Hellblazer's setting. Transhuman Space is p. cool but it's not like I can't get what I get from it in other settings. I like Mage better than Technomancer.

Anyway, you're right, I was way too harsh. What I meant to say was: "90% of the time, I would rather play in a non-native setting that does what the GURPS setting does but better."

I don't like Banestorm that much because when I feel like designing games in it I always end up thinking "why aren't I just designing an Infinite Worlds game instead?"
Ehh, the joys of having awesome groups for roleplaying :negative:.
As a guy living in bumfuck Romania, finding people willing to even try tabletop games of any kind is hard enough. And most of them are D&D/Pathfinder fanatics. Getting them out of their comfort zone is a hard feat in itself, let alone testing their patience and trying to use/design GURPS settings that don't have easy-to-access sources of information or pre-established rules. A Hellblazer GURPS session would require them to read the comics, which would be an absolute no-no.

That's also why I'm using Banestorm. It's a carry-over from using GURPS Fantasy II, which was the only way me and a friend could convince the rest of the group to try a different system. We only ran In Nomine for a few sessions and never tried Transhuman Space, only read the books :(.
There are a couple of Facebook groups where you can find players who play something other than DND.

catfood

AGAIN
Yep the dwarf looks decent to me - the art style even looks fairly traditional and he's not wielding a giant weapon, flying through the air and screaming. :incline:

Here's an elf from the bottom footer graphic:
WePQ5Hd.jpg

Ears a bit big for my taste but aside from that not bad.
Ears too big. 2/10. Would not bang play.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
One of my absolute favorite cRPG experiences was Pool of Radiance on my C64 and I always remember seeing Dave Shelley's name in the credits for some reason. A name to associate with hardcore cRPG goodness. Glad to see these brilliant old developers coming back to their old ways, though a few concessions will have to be made for modern gamers, I suppose. Not a bad thing of course. (Hi Larian Studios!)

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Well, at least this seems like they're going in the right direction. If they can keep it to the Gold-Box standard of quality and keep it tactical and engaging, they'll be getting my money for a long, long time. Hell, I would buy Gold-Box games today if they were still made.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, at least this seems like they're going in the right direction. If they can keep it to the Gold-Box standard of quality and keep it tactical and engaging, they'll be getting my money for a long, long time. Hell, I would buy Gold-Box games today if they were still made.

You'd buy FRUA modules? ;)

buzz

Arcane
There are a couple of Facebook groups where you can find players who play something other than DND.

Ehh, you might as well ask me to roam the street of Bucharest and ask random people about it. And even in that way I'm not sure I'd find someone, Bucharest is full of stuck-up morons. Most of my RP group are from Transylvania or Moldavia. But still, most people I know are all about D&D/Catan/Carcasonne/MTG, with very few exceptions.

Yes.

SophosTheWise

Cipher
I'm currently trying to get into contact with any of the TSI guys, so if anybody has a question they want to pose, shoot. Maybe I can get an interview slot or anything like that before the "big announcement"

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

I'd buy official Gold-Box games. With updated graphics.

Dorateen

Arcane
While maintaining it's turn-based system, allowing for better placement of AoE spells, and strategic battlefield shaping spells like Stinking Cloud or Blade Barrier. I wonder if there will be a Dimension Door-like ability.

I am also trying to picture how the character icons on a tactical combat map might look in a Gold Box game developed in 2014. Would ToEE level quality be good enough, and will there be over-the-top animations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom