Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Dorateen

Arcane
Confounded facebook and their nested comments. I hate social media.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really care much for ToEE. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and I didn't hate it or anything, but I just didn't have a lot of fun with it.

Me either. Truth be told, a friend lent it to me many years ago, I had a go, ran into software bugs without getting pulled into the game, gave the game back and haven't given it another go since. It looked like a good game though, and if TSI are going for something similar, but better in some ways, I think I'll be happy.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really care much for ToEE.
Me either. Truth be told, a friend lent it to me many years ago, I had a go, ran into software bugs without getting pulled into the game, gave the game back and haven't given it another go since.
It's a Troika game. Gotta patch that shit up before you try to play it. :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Me either. Truth be told, a friend lent it to me many years ago, I had a go, ran into software bugs without getting pulled into the game, gave the game back and haven't given it another go since.
was there ever an actual fix for the enemies inside walls thing?

Haha, yeah, unfortunately I played it shortly after it was released, but it's on the list, I'll get around to it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
[TOEE is] a Troika game. Gotta patch that shit up before you try to play it. :)
Unknown. I played a patched version and never saw that bug, so ...
it was fairly rare. enemies that spawned upon rest could spawn anywhere, including walls, rendering you unable to leave combat. managed to finish it regardless, but don't remember if troika actually ever fixed it.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
From the TSI "forum"
We’ve just been doing some interviews asking exactly those sort of questions. So expect to see more information coming in the days ahead.

As far as crowdfunding goes, that’s certainly something that’s been successful for other titles. So, we’re evaluating those types of options: publishers vs. investors vs. crowdfunding as we look at our product road map.
http://www.tsi-games.com/Community/topic/game-plan/

Glad to see they finally answered the question I asked. I was hoping for more info, though.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
[TOEE is] a Troika game. Gotta patch that shit up before you try to play it. :)
Unknown. I played a patched version and never saw that bug, so ...
it was fairly rare. enemies that spawned upon rest could spawn anywhere, including walls, rendering you unable to leave combat. managed to finish it regardless, but don't remember if troika actually ever fixed it.

Troika patched the Random Encounter script to spawn monsters right on top of the PCs (with the engine automatically nudging them a bit to the side immediately afterwards). That pretty much solved it, if not in an ideal way...

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Alias needs to have her boobs out properly this time as well or it's no buy!

Plus all those super-hot female wizards in their leather thigh-high boots and in "robes" where leg-slits go up to waist and cleavage down to navel. And this time they succumb to the rugged charm of the PC and not fucking Elminster FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME FOR FUCK'S SAKE GREENWOOD, DOES YOUR SELF-INSERT REALLY NEED TO FUCK EVERY FEMALE MAGE EVER?! Oh yeah and the Goddess of Magic as well, let's not forget that.

If there's a Takhisis equivalent, the fetish gear she wore on the cover of DQoK is a must, too.

And possibility of mixing up torsos with heads without any consideration for race/gender. That feature is absolutely critical.

Simple stuff, TSI, simple stuff. Make it so.

bussinrounds

Augur
Let's see... 3rd person perspective... Tactical turn based combat... A party of adventurers...

Does that sound similar to some other game? Like maybe ToEE? :roll:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really care much for ToEE. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and I didn't hate it or anything, but I just didn't have a lot of fun with it.
Forget about the storyfags and them not liking it for obvious reasons.

I still wouldn't say you're really in the minority. Ppl like the combat engine in ToEE.. Not so much the content, encounters ect...

DefJam101

Arcane
Third person exploration works fine for a Gold Box-like so long as you need to 'reveal' the map as you explore. It removes the need to plot dungeon geometry by hand but that's fine since the Gold Box games are known for DnD mass murder combat not complex, mazelike, or even well-designed dungeons

Gozma

Arcane
Hate third person exploration because it won't be step based and I won't be able to do it by hitting a key but rather only by mousefucking

The key is good! The mouse is evil!

mondblut

Arcane
Alias needs to have her boobs out properly this time as well or it's no buy!

Plus all those super-hot female wizards in their leather thigh-high boots and in "robes" where leg-slits go up to waist and cleavage down to navel. And this time they succumb to the rugged charm of the PC and not fucking Elminster FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME FOR FUCK'S SAKE GREENWOOD, DOES YOUR SELF-INSERT REALLY NEED TO FUCK EVERY FEMALE MAGE EVER?! Oh yeah and the Goddess of Magic as well, let's not forget that.

If there's a Takhisis equivalent, the fetish gear she wore on the cover of DQoK is a must, too.

:love:

(in b4 RPS and Shitaku having a fit)

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hate third person exploration because it won't be step based and I won't be able to do it by hitting a key but rather only by mousefucking

The key is good! The mouse is evil!

Depends on the game.
I prefer playing Ultima Underworld using mouse only, but for older, turn based games keys are nearly always much faster. I'm currently playing the Atari ST version of Phantasie 1, and it annoys me that I'm forced to use the mouse for everything. The keyboard only DOS version was faster.

But the most useless "innovation" must be the mini-game of using the mouse to constantly fight against the camera in games like NWN.

Last edited:

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Third person exploration works fine for a Gold Box-like so long as you need to 'reveal' the map as you explore. It removes the need to plot dungeon geometry by hand but that's fine since the Gold Box games are known for DnD mass murder combat not complex, mazelike, or even well-designed dungeons

I like third-person games. Ultima is actually my all-time favorite series.

However, I like the unique mix of 1st-person exploration and 3rd person tactical combat that the Gold Box games had. (Probably BECAUSE it's a unique mix! I couldn't even think of any other similar games until bussinrounds reminded me that Arkania was similar). I also think that Lords of Xulima looks interesting because it's another unique mix (3rd person exploration with 1st person combat).

So I'll still support the TSI game, but we currently have a (relative) plethora of 3rd person CRPGS all of a sudden (Divinity:OS, Pillars of Eternity, Torment:ToN, Wasteland 2, etc.), so it would have been cool to have something with the same unique format the Gold Boxes had. Not to mention the all-important nostalgia factor would have been greater.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Yes, I'm sure third-person will "work fine". And in fact, I like third-person games. Ultima is actually my all-time favorite series.

However, I like the unique mix of 1st-person exploration and 3rd person tactical combat that the Gold Box games had. (Probably BECAUSE it's a unique mix! I couldn't even think of any other similar games until bussinrounds reminded me that Arkania was similar). I also think that Lords of Xulima looks interesting because it's another unique mix (3rd person exploration with 1st person combat).

So I'll still support the TSI game, but we currently have a (relative) plethora of 3rd person CRPGS all of a sudden (Divinity:OS, Pillars of Eternity, Torment:ToN, Wasteland 2, etc.), so it would have been cool to have something with the same unique format the Gold Boxes had. Not to mention the all-important nostalgia factor would have been greater.

TigerKnee

Arcane
However, I like the unique mix of 1st-person exploration and 3rd person tactical combat that the Gold Box games had. (Probably BECAUSE it's a unique mix! I couldn't even think of any other similar games until bussinrounds reminded me that Arkania was similar).
I actually made a topic on this once.

It is indeed a rare combination.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So any more news yet?

:M

I'll assume they are getting the KS ready. Don't fuck this up, and do your homework.

Dorateen

Arcane
When does Wasteland 2 release, next Thursday? I wouldn't be surprised if TSI wants to avoid stepping on inxile's toes with major news announcements. It also makes some sense that they are looking to Wasteland 2, as an example of a turn-based, party-based system developed in Unity. One of the TSI people posted the Wasteland 2 .pdf manual on their facebook page.

When does Wasteland 2 release, next Thursday? I wouldn't be surprised if TSI wants to avoid stepping on inxile's toes with major news announcements. It also makes some sense that they are looking to Wasteland 2, as an example of a turn-based, party-based system developed in Unity. One of the TSI people posted the Wasteland 2 .pdf manual on their facebook page.

Should be wise of them if they wait for a week or two more after W2 release do start their kickstarter.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Should be wise of them if they wait for a week or two more after W2 release do start their kickstarter.

It'd be wiser if they waited until the exact moment Obsidian launched their second KickStarter and then rode the wave. They could put together a strong presentation by then and its the time where people are likeliest to go poking around for more projects to support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom