Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow, really disappointed that it's third-person exploration. It seems like a spiritual successor should at least use the same basic perspectives as the original. :(

Ramireza

Savant
Why remake this overrated mediocre Goldbox Games when we have realy good AD&D Games like TOEE, Baldurs Gate, Planescape or Icewind Dale? Comon, they have deeper, more complex Gameplay, better Stories, better Characters and better dialouge. They are better in every way!

I would rather play them again for the 100th time instead of Goldbox-Remake-Crap. I mean if you remake overrated shit it stays just shit, right?

Weasel
Why remake this overrated mediocre Goldbox Games when we have realy good AD&D Games like TOEE, Baldurs Gate, Planescape or Icewind Dale? I would rather play them again for the 100th time instead of this. I mean if you remake overrated shit it stays just shit, right?

:0/5:

Ramireza

Savant
Well, you are both wrong, because this wasnt a troll attempt. The Gold Box Games are totaly overrated.

Magellan

Augur
Well, you are both wrong, because this wasnt a troll attempt. The Gold Box Games are totaly overrated.

By today's standards they may be primitive, but they were really great games for the time.

Besides, there are already spiritual successors to both Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate in the works.

Mortmal

Arcane

Compare to TOE of course its less good combat , although it was a bit too short for my tastes while gold box games were fully fledged epic D&D campaigns. But its not fair to compare them , when they were released, decades ago now, it was the very beggining of crpg era , with pool of radiance on the C64. some of those games had even text to read from the manual as there was not enough room on the floppy .Even today theres barely any indies doing as good . Now we are excited about a modern version of the gold box games, about the potential of TSI .

Declinator

Arbiter
Why remake this overrated mediocre Goldbox Games when we have realy good AD&D Games like TOEE, Baldurs Gate, Planescape or Icewind Dale? Comon, they have deeper, more complex Gameplay, better Stories, better Characters and better dialouge. They are better in every way!

The Goldbox games I've played (The Pool series) are very combat-focused and to look for story, character or dialogue in them is to miss the point. The combat is the point and the purity of the games might be ruined if a deeper story/characters were imposed upon them.

ToEE is also a game like this so I find it strange that you think it has a better story and characters. I'd argue that these pure combat RPGs do not necessarily need any sort of indepth story or characters. Especially not characters like the ones BG2 has.

Not all RPGs have to focus on narrative or indeed pay any attention to it at all.

They are better in every way!

That you think BG2 has better combat than something like Pool of Radiance can at least be understood if you are type to like RTwP but Torment? That's peculiar to say the least.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space

I would rather play them again for the 100th time instead of Goldbox-Remake-Crap. I mean if you remake overrated shit it stays just shit, right?
Either way, it won't be a remake by even the broadest of definitions.

Alchemist

Arcane
On one hand I understand keeping everything 3rd person - since it probably simplifies the asset production. That way they're building stuff for one view instead of two views. But no 1st-person exploration is a bit of a disappointment - and this will turn off some potential backers for sure.

I will still probably back this if they make a good pitch.

Dorateen

Arcane
I was curious to see how they would pull off first-person exploration, if this was going to depend on crowdfunding. As far as I know, no first-person centric RPG has succeeded on kickstarter. See Deathfire for a recent example. On the otherhand, those campaigns that have enjoyed wild success are 3rd person. Therefore, if this is going to be crowd-funded, then I can see the decision being driven by economic reality and the need to appeal to a more modern fanbase.

As others have pointed out, 3rd person real time exploration and turn based tactical combat fits the SSI Dark Sun model. So it's not like they can't produce a quality game. In fact, we may find this project turns out to be something like what Chaos Chronicles could have been.

If nothing else, there is always yelling on the TSI forums about the issue and try to get the developers to change their minds. That's what the forums are there for.

Magellan

Augur
On one hand I understand keeping everything 3rd person - since it probably simplifies the asset production. That way they're building stuff for one view instead of two views. But no 1st-person exploration is a bit of a disappointment - and this will turn off some potential backers for sure.

I will still probably back this if they make a good pitch.

I honestly figured that it was a given that it would be 1st person exploration and 3rd person combat, given the Gold Box spiritual successor hype. Really disappointing to me.

cfd328471403b10eb0b56a8b31b1b86d.jpg

Pic from TSI's Facebook page. TSI, that's the kind of game the Gold Box fans want.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why remake this overrated mediocre Goldbox Games"

Nothing is being remade here, idiot.

"that's the kind of game the Gold Box fans want."

No. Don't make stuff up. You don't speak for 'all GB fans'. Moran.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Somebody should ask them whether fights will take place on the same maps as exploration. You could still have a Gold Box-like feel if it was a dual scale-type thing with tactical battle maps.

(Doubtful though, IMO)

Null Null

Arbiter
Posting that the Gold Box games suck on a thread about the best RPGs of all time or the best RPGs in the 80s and 90s isn't a troll attempt, it's stating your opinion in the familiar Codex manner.

Posting that the Gold Box games suck on a thread about a 'Gold Box spiritual successor' is suspicious, I'd say. ;)

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
From the TSI "forum"
We’ve just been doing some interviews asking exactly those sort of questions. So expect to see more information coming in the days ahead.

As far as crowdfunding goes, that’s certainly something that’s been successful for other titles. So, we’re evaluating those types of options: publishers vs. investors vs. crowdfunding as we look at our product road map.
http://www.tsi-games.com/Community/topic/game-plan/

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Let's see... 3rd person perspective... Tactical turn based combat... A party of adventurers...

Does that sound similar to some other game? Like maybe ToEE? :roll:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, that and Paper Sorcerer, which is released last year, are two crowd-funded, first-person RPGs I know. (If you count "action RPG", Kingdom Come is also in first-person perspective.)

Magellan

Augur
Let's see... 3rd person perspective... Tactical turn based combat... A party of adventurers...

Does that sound similar to some other game? Like maybe ToEE? :roll:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't really care much for ToEE. I'm not saying it's a bad game, and I didn't hate it or anything, but I just didn't have a lot of fun with it.

Dorateen

Arcane
I was curious to see how they would pull off first-person exploration, if this was going to depend on crowdfunding. As far as I know, no first-person centric RPG has succeeded on kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/125859261/starcrawlers

Well, that's good news. I'm still dubious about a fantasy first-person dungeon crawler making it on kickstarter. It also appears that the comment about the 3rd person exploration vanished from the facebook post, unless I'm missing something. They are getting set for a round of interviews, but maybe the gameplay details haven't been set in stone yet. Project could still be in an embryonic stage.

Magellan

Augur
It also appears that the comment about the 3rd person exploration vanished from the facebook post, unless I'm missing something. They are getting set for a round of interviews, but maybe the gameplay details haven't been set in stone yet. Project could still be in an embryonic stage.

Nope, it's still there.
3553af0b9119d7914f4a1aae1127e8a2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom