Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Seven Dragon Saga - Gold Box spiritual successor from SSI veterans

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.tsi-games.com/officially-open-for-business/

Officially open for business!
by TSI | Sep 3, 2014 | Game Development, TSI | 0 comments

We’ve had a few hiccups on the social media side of things, but the majority of the team has been heads down on the game itself. We are hoping our site will offer content and greater context that will give you an idea of what we are all about at TSI. We encourage you to offer your input so, we don’t just make a game we love but one that you’ll be thrilled about as well.

As gamers ourselves, we check out a bunch of game forums and see most of the comments. People have every right to wonder what kind of game we’re making and share their feelings about what they want AND expect.

Our new website is up with our own forums, so now, you have a dedicated place to engage with the team at TSI and other fans excited about the old school RPG’s we’re making. Keep in mind, we’re not a large team, currently, therefore, community management is something we’ll be ramping up over time. We do, however, have a vision of where we want to go, a plan to get there and a path we’re taking. Your input is important to us and we hope you’ll be patient as we strive our utmost, to deliver. Seven Dragons Saga is an original IP: we’re an independent studio that doesn’t have to answer to a publisher or anyone else. The only thing we have to do, is meet our own high standards for a quality game and keep building on that experience to deliver the kind of games you want to play.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
http://www.tsi-games.com/officially-open-for-business/

Officially open for business!
by TSI | Sep 3, 2014 | Game Development, TSI | 0 comments

We’ve had a few hiccups on the social media side of things, but the majority of the team has been heads down on the game itself. We are hoping our site will offer content and greater context that will give you an idea of what we are all about at TSI. We encourage you to offer your input so, we don’t just make a game we love but one that you’ll be thrilled about as well.

As gamers ourselves, we check out a bunch of game forums and see most of the comments. People have every right to wonder what kind of game we’re making and share their feelings about what they want AND expect.

Our new website is up with our own forums, so now, you have a dedicated place to engage with the team at TSI and other fans excited about the old school RPG’s we’re making. Keep in mind, we’re not a large team, currently, therefore, community management is something we’ll be ramping up over time. We do, however, have a vision of where we want to go, a plan to get there and a path we’re taking. Your input is important to us and we hope you’ll be patient as we strive our utmost, to deliver. Seven Dragons Saga is an original IP: we’re an independent studio that doesn’t have to answer to a publisher or anyone else. The only thing we have to do, is meet our own high standards for a quality game and keep building on that experience to deliver the kind of games you want to play.

Reading this makes me think that they are reading this thread. So, here's what I have to say to them:

Hello, TSI. I am a long-time fan of the Gold-Box games. Please make the kind of game I want to play and I will throw money at you over and over again and convince everyone I know to do the same.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
They should confirm about this "anime style" feat, if it's canceled or not

Null Null

Arbiter
Gold Box titles had meaningful stories?

:lol:

Perhaps not, but they did have meaningful relationships. I got on very well with the town clerk in PoR, for example

fBbY6xm.png

You mean before she baited you into following her down the ice caves to a teleporter, then got herself kidnapped on her first mission as councilmember and you had to rescue her from a dragon, then got herself kidnapped again and you played the perfect white knight (heck, Arcam even said so!) and rescued the woman from the Outer Planes, only to have her promise you a (magic) ring and have her stiff you yet again?

You should have just let Cadorna have her.

It's very instructive to see the Pools saga from the PUA perspective. ;)

mondblut

Arcane
Gold Box titles had meaningful stories?

:lol:

Perhaps not, but they did have meaningful relationships. I got on very well with the town clerk in PoR, for example

fBbY6xm.png

You mean before she baited you into following her down the ice caves to a teleporter, then got herself kidnapped on her first mission as councilmember and you had to rescue her from a dragon, then got herself kidnapped again and you played the perfect white knight (heck, Arcam even said so!) and rescued the woman from the Outer Planes, only to have her promise you a (magic) ring and have her stiff you yet again?

You should have just let Cadorna have her.

You can just LARP a 6 on 1 gangrape somewhere along the road. Alas, Loverslab wasn't around back in the day :smug:

It's very instructive to see all games from the PUA perspective. ;)

Corrected.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They sure are confident their kickstarter's going to succeed. Fake it till you make it?

Mortmal

Arcane
Theres almost no infos, they better add a lot more to not end up like deathfire kickstarter. Only people of a certain age remember SSI. Was the ruleset named anywhere ?D20 ? I first thought it could be pathfinder....

Dorateen

Arcane
It will be based on Dave Shelley's PnP concoction of the same name, Seven Dragon Saga.

The Seven Dragon Saga is the brainchild of David Shelley and Keith Brors (also an SSI alumni and veteran engineer). Both have been part of a weekly tabletop role-playing since before SSI formed. Being engineers and designers, David and Keith have created and refined their own system over the years. Licensing the game to TSI and getting to work on the computer game itself became a tremendous opportunity. TSI gained a developed system to work from, access to its creators, and the creative freedom to make the ideal game

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
There was short answers regarding that on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TSIGames/status/504716353782423553

Are you guys by chance going to be able to start distributing old SSI titles? I would love to see them available and playable. :)

TSI: We don't own those rights. Although we love those games as much as you do and think they deserve to be playable. #rpg #dnd

I attempted to load a Gold Box into DosBox last year. It was not the experience I was hoping for :( Who does own them these days?

TSI: Ubisoft/WotC. You never know what the future holds... :)

But that's a good question to ask.

Perkel

Arcane
Curiously interested in this. I hope their name will actually be meaningful in context of what they are doing.

Also i smell kickstarter coming.

4hm4x.gif

Dorateen

Arcane
I think one of the reasons they are planning on "effective heroes" right from the beginning, is that 6 out of the 9 official AD&D titles were adventure continuations. Gold Box veterans should feel right at home in the mid to high levels, aready accumulating a considerable amount of power.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Should they? They aren't using GB DnD rules so GB 'veterans' are gonna have to elarn the rules like any newbie. If the characters start at 'high' level, say 6th, for all intents and purpsoes that's level 1.

Dorateen

Arcane
What I mean is, consider a player who loads up Curse of the Azure Bonds without importing a party. Those characters are going to be stronger compared to your typical 1st level starting party. With assorted spells and appropriate equipment at their disposal. This was part of the Gold Box experience, as such a scenario could happen with a number of their releases, starting play with a higher level party. So while there will be a learning curve for Seven Dragon Saga as a new game, beginning with more powerful characters than you usually start with in an RPG, should not be so unusual.

Another point I was thinking about was that the designers might simply prefer to write a story based around characters already developed in skill, rather than document the full path to power. (I imagine they are still going to gain levels and grow, this only reflects a more advanced starting point.) A number of Shelley's credits come from the higher level adventures like DKoK, SotSB, and Pools of Darkness.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
No matter how they frame it, I still expect that characters will be somewhere at the bottom of the food chain. Maybe you won't be fighting rats in the cellar, but I don't imagine you'll be taking on an army of dragons either. You know...unless they're some kind of hybrid rat-dragons.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh. It's the same thing done in BG2. Or tons of other games. It's not new, or unique.

You are still going to be facing the weakest enemies in the game. 'Level 5' will just be 'Level 1' with a different number. Otherwise, there will be no challenge.

getter77

Augur
Not necessarily---they could definitely do something fresh, especially with the supposed wuxia notions, with the whole "big frog in a well" thing should they elect to. Challenge is a thing that can be scaled with expectations in terms of the scope of the setting, new elements getting progressively introduced, etc as opposed to just slinging some numbers around in dice rolls and a rat that'd poison ya getting replaced by a thug with a poisonous knife.

Dorateen

Arcane
David Shelley makes some interesting comments on the TSI forums, about Pools Of Darkness:

Nice to see someone with detailed memories of some of SSI’s classic gold box games. The questions you ask deal with issues where SSI is using TSR’s properties. Both Manshoon and Lolth were tightly controlled by TSR, and they did not want anything done to them in Pools of Darkness. Same with any named TSR character. Without doing an original IP, you do what the owner’s say.

Dave’s Challenge was an idea from my then boss, Victor, to have a difficult mission, after players commented on the difficulty of some of my missions, like Pool of Radiance’s Kobold Caves. Since it was just an off-the-cuff idea, and I was already splitting time between Pools and Dark Sun, it never really got the polish it deserved.

–David

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So exploration will be in 3rd person: https://www.facebook.com/TSIGames/p...y_comment_id=651789121585528&total_comments=3

Rui Castro will it have turn based tactical battles, grid based combat? Something like Fire Emblem?

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive You can definitely count on the turn based tactical battles.

Adam Price With 1st person exploration like the D&D Gold Box games ?

TSI - Tactical Simulations Interactive For Seven Dragon Saga, we're doing 3rd person real time movement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom