Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

circ

Arcane
Guys, you're trolling me right? Or is there a graphical setting that unlocks with a secret key-combo? I've now explored a town and some caves, and it's all a brown and gray diarrhea painting by someone with Parkinson's. The caves are so non-descript I'm having trouble telling what's a wall and what's a floor at times.

It looks good?! Have you never played Baldur's Gate, made almost 20 years earlier?

And the combat! LEEEEL. THIS IS HARDCORE MAN. LIKE A HARDCOAR RPG. YOU WILL CRY BECUAUSE IT'S SO HARDCORR.

Come on. You're shitting me. Not a single engagement has been challenging what with luring shit 1 NPC at a time and bullshit healing from Vilhelm with no downsides. Tactics? What tactics. Click on shit and wait.

:retarded:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, you're trolling me right? Or is there a graphical setting that unlocks with a secret key-combo? I've now explored a town and some caves, and it's all a brown and gray diarrhea painting by someone with Parkinson's. The caves are so non-descript I'm having trouble telling what's a wall and what's a floor at times.

It looks good?! Have you never played Baldur's Gate, made almost 20 years earlier?

And the combat! LEEEEL. THIS IS HARDCORE MAN. LIKE A HARDCOAR RPG. YOU WILL CRY BECUAUSE IT'S SO HARDCORR.

Come on. You're shitting me. Not a single engagement has been challenging what with luring shit 1 NPC at a time and bullshit healing from Vilhelm with no downsides. Tactics? What tactics. Click on shit and wait.

:retarded:
Well, you might want to quit then, because not much is going to change. If I were you, my recommendation is that you stop now if you don't like what you have played. It'll be wasted time you can spend on something that you enjoy.

Two quick notes, though:

I have 10%30% eyesight and never had a problem distinguishing the floor and walls.

Exploiting combat makes a game easy, gee wiz! Who would have thought?

It isn't really hardcore. I didn't have much trouble with combat either. It was still decent fun.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Cautiously thinking of playing this again...hopefully to the end this time but I heard there is an update coming. How soon?

Mustawd

As far as I know there are no more updates. You might be thinking of the free expansion coming out. But that might be a while. Actually, I have no idea what the timeline for that is.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
What's with the load times? It's like an unoptimized AAA title.

That's the worst issue. This long loading time for a pixlated game is beyond ridiculous.
After a few troubles with just some wolves i could get good at the combat,
Graphics only bothered me when it came to reading texts, it's not unreadable, but makes my eyes sore.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
While I am trying to like this game, it is structurally faulty from the bottom to the top sadly. It doesn't play to its strength but instead smashes you over the head with its faults all the time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
While I am trying to like this game, it is structurally faulty from the bottom to the top sadly. It doesn't play to its strength but instead smashes you over the head with its faults all the time.
Load times are terrible, combat is not very tactical, spell system it mostly useless, resolution of the game makes all UI barely usable but for me the worst offender is lack of quality Fallout level quests.
The game feels very fantasy fallout to me in a lot of way but it lacks quests, lots of awesome good quests with good and real C&C.
Game is a mix of fallout and baldur's gate but it didn't take best from neither game.
I bought it because I felt like the people behind the game did OK for their first real game and that they can do much better if they get support. So I gave them the money for the hope of future awesome games coming from them.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
The quest system is very good, with no checklist and with the good proportion of not retarded traditional quests, puzzles and secrets.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The world building needed to be so much better than this. I think I met more Merchants than proper NPCs in Corem for example. This world is cool and all but it feels utterly generic due to the way the content is structured.

For example, the Padurii seem like interesting evil creatures but even after rescuing a child from them I barely know anything about them.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Bunch o' questions:

Do you have any sort of stash, and if no can you just drop stuff on the ground and it remains there for ever?
I have a support dude just channeling Blood Cocoon every fight, any point in investing in any other spell for him?
I really hate the stacking to sell thing, does stuff like Padurii heads or Harvester scales ever come into play?

hell bovine

Arcane
The world building needed to be so much better than this. I think I met more Merchants than proper NPCs in Corem for example. This world is cool and all but it feels utterly generic due to the way the content is structured.

For example, the Padurii seem like interesting evil creatures but even after rescuing a child from them I barely know anything about them.
Some of the creatures are from various pagan folklore, which is probably why they are unknown to most players. I agree that there should be far more exposition & lore on them, but frankly I still prefer this to the usual "lets put dwarves and elves in it" approach.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Well that was...not very good. Even with all the excuses of a two man starting team it is potentially interesting but subpar. The less said about the combat the better but honestly it was the world building and story that let me down. It starts strong but after the Lumen Temple it all falls flat due to how stretched out it all feels. Did the shroomer caves really need to be multi level trash mobs fights? And there are even worse offenders. Also while it feels Fallout-ish, the lack of multiple solutions really hurt it.
Getting Erlein's body begged for a talk oriented solution

I never really felt attached in anyway to this world.

Sure there were cool moments like the Bloodless or several of the puzzles but most of the time it was just sort of aimless wandering in a sort of interesting world that sort of tried to show its merits.

Oh and the less said about the ending the better.
This where the Mama Hannah and Papa Joe decided to sit me down and moralize about the fact killing is bad mkay while singing "Kumbaya milord! Kumbaya!". First off, this is hardly original insight into the fact that games have ridiculous kill counts. Secondly, I love patronizing garbage like this "You could have disabled them or let them flee". Yes I could have if the game allowed it and every single sentient enemy didn't fight to the death no matter the situation. But it doesn't so screw you. Also you stumble into most situations rather than cause them. If you really wanted to make this point the critical path should have required some unequivocally hard choices rather the devs strawmanning your character for their gotcha moment which makes it fall completely flat.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Oh and the less said about the ending the better.
This where the Mama Hannah and Papa Joe decided to sit me down and moralize about the fact killing is bad mkay while singing "Kumbaya milord! Kumbaya!". First off, this is hardly original insight into the fact that games have ridiculous kill counts. Secondly. I love patronizing garbage like this "You could have disabled them or let them flee". Yes I could have if the game allowed it and every single sentient enemy didn't fight to the death no matter the situation. But it doesn't so screw you. Also you stumble into most situations rather than cause them. If you really wanted to make this point the critical path should have required some unequivocally hard choices rather the devs strawmanning your character for their gotcha moment which makes it fall completely flat.
I don't like the ending either, but I disagree about the "moralizing" aspect:
To me, there is a difference between getting a moral lecture from the narrator and getting a moral lecture from an NPC with daddy issues (with said issues caused by your character). The easiest ending to get is where your character continues to be a selfish little shit, true, but it's the mortals who'll pay the price for it. How is that moralizing? Unless the moral of the story is supposed to be "you can get away with it".

I'm not sure about which choices you mean as those "gotcha" moments. I've found most pretty clear (e.g. the natives vs. the city, using your powers on your companions; I think the only evil one I've missed out on was the vamp), but I played an amoral deity on purpose.

hajro

Arbiter
feels too ambitious for a 2 person team, definitely. Maybe their new game ends up better?

Gunnar

Arbiter
I have a support dude just channeling Blood Cocoon every fight, any point in investing in any other spell for him?

I used a Level 3 spell called Planar Jump. You can amplify it with a Linking wand and lots of Intelligence. You get a group of enemies to follow you and then create a pit they fall into, they will keep moving toward you and fall into the pit over and over. It trivialized most of the combat in the game for me. You can grind out lots of experience by doing this to random mobs of certain monsters in the north.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom