Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Serpent in the Staglands Kickstarter Update #21: Release Day!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Serpent in the Staglands; Whalenought Studios

Serpent in the Staglands, the promising indie RTwP RPG from Joe & Hannah Williams of Whalenought Studios, has been released and is now available on GOG or direct from Whalenought, with a Steam release coming later today. The latest Kickstarter update has the details on backer fulfillment and more:

What ho, Bog Shroomers!

And at long last, Serpent in the Staglands is complete. We are extremely proud of the result of one adventurous year of learning and development. You helped us make this happen, and we are thrilled with how the game shaped up. You need but look at the original Kickstarter video to see how far the game has come. We think it’s pretty remarkable.

I would have said there really isn’t an opportunity for a 2-person team to make a niche game like this beyond being a hobby project, but with Kickstarter and you all wonderful folks that was made possible. We’re so grateful to have had the opportunity to make this game and we hope you get a sense for the type of experience we were trying to make the moment you start to boot it up. We’ve said Serpent in the Staglands is a 90s CRPG in everything but the release date, and we meant it. No handholding, fun puzzles, and we tried to make every element and feature in the game fun first and foremost — we think you’ll love it.

Alright, lets get to it: LAUNCH UPDATE.

A special thanks to all our backers who provided their mugs for the game — they brought a ton of character and atmosphere to the game.

As we’ve mentioned before, do read The Manual prior to playing. You start the game proper right out the gate, so your tutorial is in that text. We’ll be getting it packaged up for GOG and the folks with Accounts with us a standalone soon, and Steam folks will be able to download it from the link above.

DEMO

We’ve included the first couple areas of the game for folks to slaughter some wildlife and explore a temple to get a feel for the gameplay! If you know someone that may be interested, pass it along!

What’s Next

We have some patches planned to smooth out some skill and enemy balancing, as well as some economy balancing, and will continue to push hard to support and polish up the game so it’s tip top in time for the free expansion! We have a dedicated forum for any technical issues or bugs, and if you find anything please let us know! We will strive to make the game as perfect as it can be, and while we did a lot of thorough testing ourselves with the help of the beta testers for early areas, we’ll need your help finding anything we may have missed.

If you haven’t already received a Kickstarter message or email from us, you will throughout the coming day. We’re drinking some cafera and continuing to go through the list through tomorrow— Steam and our DRM-Free releases early afternoon, GOG early morning (US Central Time). This is a manual process for us, as we're sending a key to each of you line by line, so we appreciate your patience and hope to have this wrapped up today!

Thank You!

This was our first Kickstarter campaign and our first game of this size, and while this was a moderately sized campaign compared to a lot of games we’ve had an immense amount of support from everyone, and we really appreciate all the words of encouragement over the past year. We’ve tried to run a fun and honest campaign with our updates, and hope you’ve enjoyed the look inside development as the game was in progress. We’ll continue to post any big updates of patches or other news. Thanks again everyone.

Remember to bring a notebook and some mead, and enjoy your time in Vol!
Serpent in the Staglands may very well be the first indie RPG in the history of the Codex to be developed and released within a reasonable, professional time frame of around 2-2.5 years, and I'm very curious to see how it's turned out. Congratulations to Joe & Hannah! Just don't take too long with those backer keys, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

getter77

Augur
I really hope this does enormously well for them on the road to and upon the free Expansion---it'd be great if they could wind up doing even more beyond it as per the original KS stretch goals. Definitely a project other future KS projects should refer back to in terms of overall excellent execution.

curry

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands may very well be the first indie RPG in the history of the Codex to be developed and released within a reasonable, professional time frame of around 2-2.5 years, and I'm very curious to see how it's turned out.
That's because they didn't have a bunch of volunteers make the game on their behalf. :smug:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can't decide where to buy it.. ugh. Gog, Steam or website? Will the Steam version come with extra fluff, cards, achievements? Does the Gog version come with something extra? I'm guessing it comes without the soundtrack since it's sold separately. I need advice :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
When/where should I receive my cd-key if I've backed this on kickstarter?

m_s0

Arcane
Can't decide where to buy it.. ugh. Gog, Steam or website? Will the Steam version come with extra fluff, cards, achievements? Does the Gog version come with something extra? I'm guessing it comes without the soundtrack since it's sold separately. I need advice :)

So what you're basically saying is that you're totally fine with Steam or GOG getting paid instead of the devs as long as you get a few low res jpgs and a bunch of useless achievements? :nocountryforshitposters:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...l-art-rpg-released.90686/page-27#post-3827690

I think Whalenought_Joe did mention at some point that there is no benefit to buying the game indirectly, but don't quote me on that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here comes the high horse brigade, I was just asking, okay? Buying the game should be enough, or no?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What's the download size? I have a data allowance and need to know if I should go to the public library.

As much as I love Achievements and just generally exhibiting my gaming successes, my mantra is always to buy it directly from the developer if the option is presented.

GOG's sweet for old games, but its viability for me (on new games) is limited with modern gaming stuck in this purgatory of Release = Early Access.

Age of Decadence was an unexpected bonus where I got a Steam key despite buying it directly from Iron Tower.

m_s0

Arcane
Here comes the high horse brigade, I was just asking, okay? Buying the game should be enough, or no?
:rpgcodex:

Just how exactly you managed to stick around as long as you have is a mystery to me.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not as though Steam or GOG getting money represents a tragedy or a profound miscarriage of justice. Steam is certainly dubious in many ways but they DID save PC gaming. GOG saved and restored a bunch of lost games for modern PCs.

However, outside the realm of AA-AAA development, its good to ensure indies get as much revenue as they can. That is the "maximum socially responsible" thing to do.

jdinatale

Cipher
I haven't gotten my key yet? The email said I should expect it on the 27th or 28th. Nothing yet.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I noticed the game in the first place because he tweeted about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom