Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
you're typing "vrosk rife TargetName" where Target Name is exactly how it's spelled in game, right? You need to be close to your target for this to work, and if you've typed it correctly the incantation book will close and you'll see your dude with red swirls around him while he casts it. It'll take a few seconds to cast, so let him do his thing until you get a message in the log. Also, make sure the character with linguistics is highlighted before you use the incantation book.

roshan

Arcane
Philosophy also lets you steal stats from your companions via one time use Imps in a Jar. You can get one in Lumen Forten if you have 1 point in philosophy, but you can only steal Perception I believe. It takes more points in philosophy to steal other attributes.

Uh oh. Screwed up here, didn't get the imp. I guess there might not be much point in going with a Philosophy character anymore? Unless I can steal the imp from Vinimus later on using the incantation! Two points is not enough power to steal, so I don't know if it will work.

I guess for this run I might stick to linguistics.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I put one point into Linguistics but I cannot seem to use any curses yet.

I don't know if you can curse with one point, but I could use Vrosk Omn Charname and see their stats (similar to the awareness perk in fallout, though less specific) and Maen Lumen for torch light. I have 3 points in it and I'm using all the words of power in Erlein's handbook (davi, shoar and grafitus), some stealing with vrosk rife. I haven't tried using curses yet, I imagine some will work with 3 pts, but a lot wont.

So I found a riddle imp in the cave in Lumen Targ, but even with a point in philosophy, I have no choice except to fight it? I think it should ask some sort of riddle?
I could only fight him with 1 point in philosophy, not sure about Ninjerk's experience. The entire reason it asks you who steps forward is so that you can choose the character who you think has the best aptitude(s) for the dialogue.

Philosophy also lets you steal stats from your companions via one time use Imps in a Jar. You can get one in Lumen Forten if you have 1 point in philosophy, but you can only steal Perception I believe. It takes more points in philosophy to steal other attributes.

On another note, I'm a keyboard-heavy player and this new patch is making combat a lot of fun. Not having ranged guys occasionally go ape-shit and charge into combat reduces the tedium. I still wish the Stop All button only worked for the character selected (FYI it affects the entire party regardless of selection) and was hotkeyed, but it's fun. The power curve at low levels seems very 1-2nd ed. AD&D-ish, where one level makes a huge difference. I just cleared out the encampment of 4 named bandits outside Lumen Targ at level 3, where it was impossible at level 2. It was a good low level encounter, had a nice positioning element and the enemies used spells as well as melee and ranged.
I was able to use Omn on NPCs, but Lumen does not work with 1 point.

Also, I was able to steal 2 Occult from Catelina with that Imp you get in your temple.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Uh oh. Screwed up here, didn't get the imp. I guess there might not be much point in going with a Philosophy character anymore? Unless I can steal the imp from Vinimus later on using the incantation! Two points is not enough power to steal, so I don't know if it will work.

I guess for this run I might stick to linguistics.
You can buy bottle imps elsewhere.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I was able to use Omn on NPCs, but Lumen does not work with 1 point.

Also, I was able to steal 2 Occult from Catelina with that Imp you get in your temple.
Maen Lumen didn't work? It worked for me with 1 pt iirc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed why rally does not activate sometimes. It waits until my support chsracter attacks with a weapon and does not activate with spell use.
But Rally is pretty crappy with each level only giving .5 seconds duration. And even increase in armor is random.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Okay, can anyone explain how the hell attack speed works with Dexterity? I read the manual and it says Dex inceases attack speed. Well I put 2 points into Dex with every character and it doesnt seem to change the attack speed even by .1 points, whether a weapon is equipped or not. Don't tell me you actually have to up the stat by MORE THAN 2 to get any change?! because that would be bullshit

ArchAngel

Arcane
Okay, can anyone explain how the hell attack speed works with Dexterity? I read the manual and it says Dex inceases attack speed. Well I put 2 points into Dex with every character and it doesnt seem to change the attack speed even by .1 points, whether a weapon is equipped or not. Don't tell me you actually have to up the stat by MORE THAN 2 to get any change?! because that would be bullshit
When you open character screen you can click on each on stats on left and it will show you the formula. For attack speed it says WPN speed - Dex (0.03) - Items and skill mods. so 10 Dex reduces weapon speed by 0.3 seconds.
You can combine that with some skills that increase attacks speed and light weapons and light armors and no shield and you will have lots of attacks.

What I noticed that I got no clue if Catalina skills work or not. Armor gained from Shield skill is not displayed anywhere on character/inventory screens outside or during combat. I was wrong, it is displayed on Character screen when I was mostly looking on Inventory screen. Inventory screen seems to only show stats from equipment while character screen shows it all. I am just used from BG games that all numbers in different screens show total numbers, not partial ones.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Read the equation when you click on attack speed. You also need to close and reopen the character sheet to see the effect of DEX on AS. In my experience it changes AS by several hundredths of a point, so you'll go from 4.50 to 4.45. Not worth it IMO.

On the other hand, I just solved an imp riddle by consulting my leather bound erlein's handbook. A++++, would back again. The riddles don't let you "come back later" fyi, so you need to commit or GTFO.

GJIG

Novice
Dex does seem to be quite underpowered. -0.06 AS (2 dex) is a lot less alluring than +1 dmg (2 str) when you're only hitting for 0-6 damage due to enemy armor. This is made even worse by the fact that attack speed reducing skills and spells are obnoxiously powerful: you can get the fastest possible attack speed relatively easily without a single point invested in dexterity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just successful Cursed my first enemy :D Reduced their armor by 4 points. Now I wonder how long curses last because I could not find any place where it says that.

I found Radiant Stave as good opening spell, it is AoE and does not need your caster to keep channeling it. It also seems to always work. As soon as you cast it you can start casting something else

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just successful Cursed my first enemy :D Reduced their armor by 4 points. Now I wonder how long curses last because I could not find any place where it says that.

I found Radiant Stave as good opening spell, it is AoE and does not need your caster to keep channeling it. It also seems to always work. As soon as you cast it you can start casting something else
Yea, my PC opens with radiant stave and then I either fire crossbow bolts with him or do other shit. I've got a blood cocoon avatar (Hodor) a tank avatar and Vilhelm and Catalina.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm it seems Rally only activates once you do damage to enemy lol. I hope that gets fixed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I did. On Steam.
I must say the biggest problems of the game are UI. They need someone with experience with UI to tell them how to improve it and them doing that.
I hope they implement my suggestion of letting us use 1-5 to select characters (or F1 to F5).

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think the F keys are far more likely, since they let you hotkey spells to 1 - 0. You're using spell hotkeys, right?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the F keys are far more likely, since they let you hotkey spells to 1 - 0. You're using spell hotkeys, right?
I am, but mostly because my left mouse button is dying and I need to do as little clicks as possible :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hmm, I just got owned by some adventuring party I found by exiting some huge ass caverns below the first village

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Dex does seem to be quite underpowered. -0.06 AS (2 dex) is a lot less alluring than +1 dmg (2 str) when you're only hitting for 0-6 damage due to enemy armor. This is made even worse by the fact that attack speed reducing skills and spells are obnoxiously powerful: you can get the fastest possible attack speed relatively easily without a single point invested in dexterity.
Dexterity is really a shit stat. 10 gives you 0.3 speed bonus. 1-2 points in quick strike give like 0.7. As soon as i read the manual - i instantly knew that my dex stabber is a shit build. But if they make it better, it will massively unbalance the game - especially with "amlify" on.

Elthosian

Arcane
So, is there any use for gems in this game? Been saving a few of them but they are clogging my inventory and it would be nice to know if it's actually worth it to hang on them :/

roshan

Arcane
How do I disable a trap? I've figured out how to find them, but after finding the trap, clicking on woodwise and then clicking on the trap does nothing (whether I am currently in detect traps mode or not), in fact there is no visual indicator of it even being interactable. Manual says a vague "you can disable traps with the same cursor" but I can't make anything happen. When I click on the character who I want to find traps, the woodwise cursor changes back to a normal one. When I select woodwise again and click on the trap nothing happens.

EDIT: The trap might be bugged though, just as I can't disable it, I can't set it off either by walking on it.

EDIT: Found another trap, same issue. Maybe the traps are autodisabled when you find them?

EDIT: This is really broken, reloading a game causes the found trap to disappear, so I assume I must be meant to disable it after finding it. I guess for now the only option is to set them off and kill the imps that appear.

Whalenought_Joe

i70n0z.jpg

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've noticed the same thing, except the first time you find the trap you can disable it via woodwise. If you save/load after that, you'll detect a new trap that may or may not trigger an imp, an won't be removable (imo).

roshan

Arcane
I've noticed the same thing, except the first time you find the trap you can disable it via woodwise. If you save/load after that, you'll detect a new trap that may or may not trigger an imp, an won't be removable (imo).

Even the first time I find it, it cannot be disabled... Must be some buggy code somewhere.

roshan

Arcane
Oh yeah, and for ranged weapons, I'm guessing bows are better than crossbows? The 1d3 damage does not seem to be worth the additional 1.5s attack time.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Just to add my thoughts on the game in a random fashion; it rocks*!!!

Good job, Joe and Hannah :)

*statement based on experiences with the demo, only. Diggfinger cannot be held liable for quality of final product

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom