Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm really surprised more codexers aren't playing and talking about it. This game is like a fucking unicorn. I really hope they get enough sales to continue development.

I'll board the hype train once the initial patching dies down. Shouldn't be long now, hopefully.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Being a critic is the easiest thing in the world to do, particularly if you aren't interested in being reasonable. I'm sure they would do some things differently if they had a do-over. The only real wish I would have for them would be a better marketing plan. I am OK with needing lots of early patches in this case (very limited resources) and in particular I appreciate that they are listening and are pumping out fixes at an alarming rate. Sometime not long from now all the douchey butthurt will dissipate.

Novel IP - check
Nice 2d art - check
Unique setting - check
Great TB combat - miss
RTwP insofar as it can be engaging - checkish
Endearing writing - check
No hand holding - check
Old school mechanics - check
Nice music - check
Boss physical editions - check

Remarkable for a team of two on a very tight budget in little time.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
Sam Ecorners you tell Joe and Hannah that all the blood, sweat, and tears they poured into the game, and into the support since release, is truly appreciated. The game has tremendous heart, and going by what you've said, it's clear where that came from. :salute:

Why don't you tell them that yourself Whalenought_Joe whalenought_hannah

I'll board the hype train once the initial patching dies down. Shouldn't be long now, hopefully.

According to them all of the major patching is done. Better get on dat train.

roshan

Arcane
Is the Steam version already patched to the latest??? Officially a Steamtard now :(

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tagging might also help the game to find its audience, since those are used by Steam recommendation algorithm. Looks like StiS lacks appropriate tags to recommended by the system.

aFsmeIB.png

I suggest you to add following tags to the game (based on popular tags in PoE, WL2 and D:OS):

Singleplayer
Isometric
Kickstarter
Party-Based RPG
Real-Time with Pause
Adventure
Atmospheric
Classic
Indie
Exploration
Open World
Tactical
Fantasy
Dark Fantasy

You can add tags even if you do not own the game on Steam.

And before you tagging, make sure to set the Steam site's language to English.

Last edited:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Already have it on GoG from PayPal preorders, but I bought it again on Steam. (so I can review and tag. :D)

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It should be. :D

Have we heard anything about other language translations? There's a nice community of oldschool RPGers in the Czech Republic, but a surprising amount only play with Czech translations.
(meaning - if there was the possibility, I would be willing to start a fan translation project)

agris

Arcane
Patron
Tagging might also help the game to find its audience, since those are used by Steam recommendation algorithm. Looks like StiS lacks appropriate tags to recommended by the system.
Good advice, I just added all of them.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just bought this game.. runs like poop in windowed mode.. The text is really hard to read.. other then that, huge potential..

Although I was kinda disappointed that
They break the third wall by trying to justify why you have a character creation screen with this whole YUR A GAWD plot line.. wasn't necessary.. I don't wanna be a god. I wanna be a low level adventurer who is thrust into a story bigger then myself. Oh well - I won't harp on this until I see at least half the game

Johannes

Arcane
They break the third wall by trying to justify why you have a character creation screen with this whole YUR A GAWD plot line.. wasn't necessary.. I don't wanna be a god. I wanna be a low level adventurer who is thrust into a story bigger then myself. Oh well - I won't harp on this until I see at least half the game

It's not about justifying char creation screen, it's the whole premise of the plot.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

It's not about justifying char creation screen, it's the whole premise of the plot.

That's fair.. if that's how they want to do it.. But it feels very hacky IMO.

I am a God who is trapped on earth because someone closed my portal back to the moon - talk about fish out of the water.. Couldn't they ease me in a bit more?

Personal dislike of the story - not a general criticism of the game. I don't like being the Chosen One in some epic world changing story, I prefer more low-key plots..

Other then that, I am sure this game is gonna be great.. the Character screen was very enjoyable digging into.

agris

Arcane
Patron
One more positive review will put the game in the "very positive" category, fyi.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead of trying to game the system, I suggest spamming the inboxes of RPS, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, etc, with requests to FUCKING REPORT THAT THE GAME WAS RELEASED

Fry

Arcane
Instead of trying to game the system, I suggest spamming the inboxes of RPS, Eurogamer, PC Gamer, etc, with requests to FUCKING REPORT THAT THE GAME WAS RELEASED

Considering the front page of the SitS web site still says the game is not yet released, they're not exactly helping themselves there.

Also seems like typing "serpent" or "staglands" in Steam store search comes up with nothing. That's not cool.

agris

Arcane
Patron
You motherfu... well, actually, that's totally reasonable. Good idea.

I've actually done this in the past for other small releases, contacting the authors of niche RPG news articles at Kokatu and Polygon.

Athelas

Arcane
This game needs Sensuki.

I am a God who is trapped on earth because someone closed my portal back to the moon - talk about fish out of the water.. Couldn't they ease me in a bit more?

Personal dislike of the story - not a general criticism of the game. I don't like being the Chosen One in some epic world changing story, I prefer more low-key plots..
What's more low-key than a character just trying to get home?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yea it's really the inverse of a chosen-one plot. You were a god, and now are mostly mortal. Are you a bad enough dude to figure out why?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom