Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone know the exact effects of the character generation questions? do they just change the suggested stats offered to you on the next screen, or are the gameplay effects more subtle and story-oriented?
It doesn't change your stats, but I think it changes some details of the main plot. The statue that you appear in front of at the beginning of the game will change depending on what animal you picked as your original avatar.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Arrgh, and whalenought has no facebook page, sits fbook page...i think they need a marketing manager. the web presence should have been all set up way before release.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
that im very aware of.
but thats like saying "they put one ad in one newspaper"
not exactly going to bring it to the attention of those not already looking for it.
there's no reason to release a product without a wiki page, facebook presence, et al, if only because its just more places for people to stumble across information about it or conveniently cross post content to let friends know.

Weasel
there's no reason to release a product without a wiki page, facebook presence, et al, if only because its just more places for people to stumble across information about it or conveniently cross post content to let friends know.

This is a proper old school game, they wrote a stern letter to the Times and mentioned it a couple of times at the club. :obviously:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Good will or not, shitty patches and broken combat killed my boner. I just stoped playing a game, i was very excited about. This is not good.
Especially because they are a 2-man team, they had to use the powah of early access. But whatever - my good will brought them d1p anyway. And i will start a new game eventually - the last thing required is faster loading times.

Lhynn

Arcane
Good will or not, shitty patches and broken combat killed my boner. I just stoped playing a game, i was very excited about.
Well, its always a good idea to just hold it a bit until you determine if its good to go.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Good will or not, shitty patches and broken combat killed my boner. I just stoped playing a game, i was very excited about. This is not good.
Especially because they are a 2-man team, they had to use the powah of early access. But whatever - my good will brought them d1p anyway. And i will start a new game eventually - the last thing required is faster loading times.
You think v9 is broken? Or was this back in the v1 - v5 days?
So, I'm startinhg out. Are we supposed to beat our starting quips out of the crop goblins? That's fine but jeez. Also, how does one "rest" or whatever? Is that not a thing?
I don't know what that means, but yes you can kill crop goblins at the start. Helps if you have a healer avatar and some frying pans or awls. You rest either in an Inn (Lumen Targ just outside of the Lumen Forten courtyard) or by buying camping supplies and right clicking on them in the inventory. RTFM, it'll help. Make more than one avatar to start with also. Recruit Catalina and Vilhelm.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I played all patches 2-6 I believe and I never encountered broken combat. Everything mostly worked, if not that well.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So, I'm startinhg out. Are we supposed to beat our starting quips out of the crop goblins? That's fine but jeez. Also, how does one "rest" or whatever? Is that not a thing?
You can recruit two NPCs at start. Vilhelm has healing spells. You can also use consumable items during combat to heal. But for whatever reason you cannot use healing items while the game is paused so you need to put them into one of 4 quickslots down right and right click on them between two quick pauses. They must have been on crack to think this is a good design decision.
The other NPC is Catelyna, she is a shield fighter. Give her Vilhelm's armor and let her tank and heal her when she needs it. I seen enemies go beyond her and go for my back line, then the kite game starts like in Bg1 :)
My guess the kite game will last until I can give some armor to all my guys.

ArchAngel

Arcane
is there any downside to enslaving people with soul bonding?
They hate you and will never talk to you or give opinion. Also if you remove them from the party they disappear forever. The portrait is also supposed to change.

Gladius

Literate
Hi guys,

SPOILERS BELOW !

So I’ve just finished the conversation with Octavian. And I am like, what ? I have so many questions. Why can’t I decline the offer ? I mean this is a role playing game, I should be able to choose whatever I think is right. I can understand the temptation of valuing your own god’s life over the mortals, but come on… The whole ending is like I don’t know what is happening because it’s so suddenn and bullshit at the same time.
+ after the conversation my companion Catalina turned over against me, and I couldn’t click to attack her or to do anything… It’s a bug in the very ending of the game, kinda ruined the overall feeling.

Moreover – I’m feeling right now, like you can finish this game completely by accident. If you just decide to do left side of the map first, you will practically finish it without anything to do with the right side of the map. You don’t even need the Hallowed Grove’s rune blackboards, because you can open the third lighthouse so easily.

And where is the late game of this game ? I was thinking like maybe you will enter some other dimension, and you will have to fight your way through some evil, stronger monsters and eventually you will face the final boss. And in reality, there was no final boss ! You could not fight Octavian. I didn’t even know why am I fighting those soldiers in Lev, and if I could do anything to came through peacefuly. But I guess I couldn’t, so searching for a safe way would be pointless I guess.

I’ve been in every location on the map I think, I tried every corner of the map, and the only location I couldn’t enter was Emerald Metalis mines, is there anything interesting ?
And what about those caves with Rune Pillars ? I’ve entered 2 of them and got the same journal notes in both of them and I couldn’t do anything with it. Is there anything more to it ?
And I remember this monster on the kickstarter update:
8455863d989e2b7c1643f09bd64e7014_large.gif

Can you actually encounter this monster in the game ?
I am still feeling like I’ve left many things behind, but I just don’t seem to know where to look for it.
I am waiting for some walktrough video on youtube, or some solution to see what could I do different.

Anyway, I’ve played this game for over a week and I really have enjoyed it very much. Except the ending…

Last edited by a moderator:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
You think v9 is broken? Or was this back in the v1 - v5 days?
I played all patches 2-6 I believe and I never encountered broken combat. Everything mostly worked, if not that well.
I mean day 1. And by broken i mean kind of fun but super unbalanced - where noone could touch your tank and your fast hitter healed the whole party, and you could basically attack non-stop, etc. etc. All by design, not bugs - i.e. challenge completely removed.

So now they are rebalancing and making enemies tougher - so i can start again soon.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
So I met up with these guys last night. Got them drunk, got to listen to them vent. Yeah, they really are a 2 person team that scraped by with the most barebones budget they could have. Yeah they wish they released two weeks later, but then again, not like anyone helped them beta test the thing. Yeah it's hard and not josh-balanced, they wanted that. Overall tho, they seemed to be exactly what all of codex's rpg gods are. They want to make good, hard, 90s rpg games. And yeah they don't really have much experience, or marketing know-how, or much of a support group, but they still try and take the high road of Vault Dweller and Styg and make the game that codex seems to always be crying for. It's just too bad that it was Sawyer who got Sensuki and not them. Joe and Hannah would've actually listened. Anyway, I'm gonna collect my thoughts, get over the hangover, write up my thoughts and send them to Bee. Who knows maybe I will get to sperg out to all of you about how fucking dumb you are.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Should tell them 75% off or bust and next time go turn-based.

Johannes

Arcane
Hi guys,

SPOILERS BELOW !

So I’ve just finished the conversation with Octavian. And I am like, what ? I have so many questions. Why can’t I decline the offer ? I mean this is a role playing game, I should be able to choose whatever I think is right. I can understand the temptation of valuing your own god’s life over the mortals, but come on… The whole ending is like I don’t know what is happening because it’s so suddenn and bullshit at the same time.
+ after the conversation my companion Catalina turned over against me, and I couldn’t click to attack her or to do anything… It’s a bug in the very ending of the game, kinda ruined the overall feeling.

Moreover – I’m feeling right now, like you can finish this game completely by accident. If you just decide to do left side of the map first, you will practically finish it without anything to do with the right side of the map. You don’t even need the Hallowed Grove’s rune blackboards, because you can open the third lighthouse so easily.

And where is the late game of this game ? I was thinking like maybe you will enter some other dimension, and you will have to fight your way through some evil, stronger monsters and eventually you will face the final boss. And in reality, there was no final boss ! You could not fight Octavian. I didn’t even know why am I fighting those soldiers in Lev, and if I could do anything to came through peacefuly. But I guess I couldn’t, so searching for a safe way would be pointless I guess.

I’ve been in every location on the map I think, I tried every corner of the map, and the only location I couldn’t enter was Emerald Metalis mines, is there anything interesting ?
And what about those caves with Rune Pillars ? I’ve entered 2 of them and got the same journal notes in both of them and I couldn’t do anything with it. Is there anything more to it ?
And I remember this monster on the kickstarter update:
8455863d989e2b7c1643f09bd64e7014_large.gif

Can you actually encounter this monster in the game ?
I am still feeling like I’ve left many things behind, but I just don’t seem to know where to look for it.
I am waiting for some walktrough video on youtube, or some solution to see what could I do different.

Anyway, I’ve played this game for over a week and I really have enjoyed it very much. Except the ending…
Haven't gotten to the ending yet, but there is indeed a peaceful way to enter Lev. Talk to people in Rumia.

I'd be interested to know though whether there's a non-combat way to reach the body of that one guy in Corem.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I met up with these guys last night. Got them drunk, got to listen to them vent. Yeah, they really are a 2 person team that scraped by with the most barebones budget they could have. Yeah they wish they released two weeks later, but then again, not like anyone helped them beta test the thing. Yeah it's hard and not josh-balanced, they wanted that. Overall tho, they seemed to be exactly what all of codex's rpg gods are. They want to make good, hard, 90s rpg games. And yeah they don't really have much experience, or marketing know-how, or much of a support group, but they still try and take the high road of Vault Dweller and Styg and make the game that codex seems to always be crying for. It's just too bad that it was Sawyer who got Sensuki and not them. Joe and Hannah would've actually listened. Anyway, I'm gonna collect my thoughts, get over the hangover, write up my thoughts and send them to Bee. Who knows maybe I will get to sperg out to all of you about how fucking dumb you are.
Someone who is good at it should make a good looking New topic post and I and whoever else wants will spread it all over the internet. I just don't want to wing it and do more harm than good with my improvisations :D

Ninjerk

Arcane
It's incredible to me to see the same shit that popamole critics used to slander Obsidian for YEARS be trotted out by fanboys against an indie developer that's delivered another Fallout 1-esque title.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
It's incredible to me to see the same shit that popamole critics used to slander Obsidian for YEARS be trotted out by fanboys against an indie developer that's delivered another Fallout 1-esque title.

That's exactly how I feel. Hell, there should be bobbing head gifs of Joe and Hannah all over the codex, because for the first time in YEARS crpg crowd actually have new devs who are NOT interested in bringing "old school experiences to modern audiences", they just want to make straight up 90s games, period.

Lerk

Learned
A-fucking-men to that. This game is the dog's bollocks. Finally started playing 7pm the night before last, eventually quit at 9am yesterday morning. I don't think that's happened to me with a videogame since...actually, I can't remember when. Resident Evil 1 maybe? Which was like 20 years ago?

Sam Ecorners you tell Joe and Hannah that all the blood, sweat, and tears they poured into the game, and into the support since release, is truly appreciated. The game has tremendous heart, and going by what you've said, it's clear where that came from. :salute:

MTwolves

Educated
"josh-balanced" should be a word in the forums or urban dictionary.

Like, that game was so josh-balanced that all I needed to do was spam one talent to win the entire game.
Or, that game was so josh-balanced that I didn't need any hard counters.
Or, that game was so josh-balanced that half of my brain fell asleep while I was playing it.
Or, this movie is such a watered-down, politically correct, and josh-balanced mess.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I love this game. I send my tank in front and two caster at back. I fight a single bandit. I think I got him, one caster is healing the tank while another is about to cast a "grease" spell on bandit. Just before spell goes off bandit rushes towards the caster and murders him in two shots (since I gave all armor to my tank). This never happened in PoE :D Who ever said tank and spank work in SitS was a fool :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom