Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

Obviousplant

Educated
Shill mode: on
I just posted a review of this game on youtube (well, actually I wrote it almost a week ago, but I couldn't start working on it until yesterday when I got the voice over from my partner in crime), so I hope it might convert some of those who are still on the fence about getting it

The proper review starts at 1:35. Sadly the video quality is horrible at times. There's nothing wrong with the footage I captured but some clips would turn out horrible after being rendered, while most turned out fine. I tried multiple times with the same results.
I wish I could've showcased some things a little better (the spells for one thing) but I lost some of the footage that I captured, and I'm going to be busy tomorrow so I didn't have much time for editing and scanning through hours and hours of videos to find few seconds worth of footage just to demonstrate something.

So yeah be warned the video quality is blurry at times and some of the bugs have already been fixed so the review is partially outdated. And I'm not a fan of showing damage/hit chance in dice rolls, which probably isn't a very popular stance amongst the target audience of this game.

I think I didn't elaborate on this point enough, but to me the lack of meaningful character/party development and min maxing was one of the biggest flaws of this game. OCC and INT for casters, DEX and STR for physical characters, PER for both. To compare it to another modern game, Divinity: Original Sin also had effectively a classless system but you still had meaningful choices to make, at least during lower levels when your warriors didn't have teleport and telekinesis.

It's an awesome game given the development time and resources, if it got a turn based sequel and Whalenought would hire some good writer (and maybe some one to focus on reactivity&systems), the end result could easily be better than any modern RPG (AAA or crowd funded).

What the hell is Rheamus Farms for? I found it just by wandering and don't remember finding any obvious quest crumbs.

There is one quest tied to the area. You can sell the spices you get from the critters there to the captain at the barracks in Emerald Metalis Consil.

Thanks for the hint. :salute:

Obviousplant

Educated
You can farm Anthramin spice easily by buying the spider summoning horn and killing the spiders over and over again. They never did anything when I tried to summon them to my aid in combat, except they'd say "I'm busy at the moment" if you'd try to talk to them :lol:
If I recall correctly, the vendor for the horn is in Corem, it's 600 or 700 emeralds, stack of 10 spice sells for a bit over 500.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If I recall correctly, the vendor for the horn is in Corem, it's 600 or 700 emeralds, stack of 10 spice sells for a bit over 500.

Yeah well, nice and dandy but (almost) all the shop keepers will run out of money with a single stack... I had 5k spare cash without cheesing the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can farm Anthramin spice easily by buying the spider summoning horn and killing the spiders over and over again. They never did anything when I tried to summon them to my aid in combat, except they'd say "I'm busy at the moment" if you'd try to talk to them :lol:
You should report both things as bugs.

Obviousplant

Educated
Yeah well, nice and dandy but (almost) all the shop keepers will run out of money with a single stack... I had 5k spare cash without cheesing the game.
Of course, if that wasn't the case you could exploit these things
fmEKWEk.jpg

But you can still use that spice trick to your advantage at early stages of the game when you're buying expensive items. Money becomes quite obsolete by the time you get harvester armors. That's when I bought the spider horn and the imp jar, as I had about 3,5-4k of cash and nothing to spend it on.

agris

Arcane
Patron
[...]and the worse (still) part is, like many others these days, the game doesn't load when it's minimized! :argh: You actually have to have look at the loading screen in order for it to load. What a load of crap. Reminds me of back when I played Arcanum back in the early 2000s and always went to get tea whenever the game was loading a save. I'm at the part where I'm dying to wolves constantly and it takes AGES to reload.
To be fair, blame people who still have < 4 gb of ram. Joe mentioned in some patch notes that they were going to enable the game running when out of focus. It never happened and when I asked him about it, he said they easily could implement it but it kept causing people to get out of memory errors.

There are still people playing on machines with 2 gb of ram for fucks sake!
In v8, the game runs out of focus. I'm writing this while a level loads.

Lerk

Learned
I have this, are the more serious bugs now mostly resolved? i'm itching to dive in.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, huge update released recently I guess. I woke up to find my internet bogged down and then I noticed GOG Galaxy downloading a 3 GB patch. I don't know anything about what it fixes, but way to go Whalenought and glad to see you doing postrelease support.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Wow, huge update released recently I guess. I woke up to find my internet bogged down and then I noticed GOG Galaxy downloading a 3 GB patch. I don't know anything about what it fixes, but way to go Whalenought and glad to see you doing postrelease support.
I thought I read that GOG redownloads the entire game every time it patches.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought I read that GOG redownloads the entire game every time it patches.
That would explain much. Still, glad to see they're doing patches etc.

Lerk

Learned
:what: 3GB is like twice the install footprint?

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually, it's way worse then that. When you want to install SitS with the Galaxy you need to download 3.5 GB, but if you just want to download the backup installer, it's 266 MB :D (on linux it's the same and it works btw.)

Johannes

Arcane

I didn't really have excess cash until hacking through the logging camp. Before that there'd be some interesting stuff to buy (wands, armor, whatever else I'm now forgetting) in turn that'd give the merchants a reasonable amount of cash to buy your shit. At the same point I also got a ridiculous amount of XP, that I didn't even really know what to use the level gains into, since I was steamrolling everything already. I guess I should try the newest patches as it seems they've hardened and balanced the endgame since.

Btw, is there Thieving Imps for sale anywhere besides a single one in Corem?

agris

Arcane
Patron
Btw, is there Thieving Imps for sale anywhere besides a single one in Corem?
Did you know that
you can get a thieving imp at the start of the game from Vinimus? The PC needs a point in philosophy I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom