Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands Thread

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
About attributes: Can I not go under 10 in some of them or am I just stupid? I'm playing a melee fighter and I felt that the points in intelligence were completely wasted and useless.
I wanted to min max too - thought it was a wierd system. Bu then again - you would start with 20s in your main stat and unbalance the game.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I had no idea this got released. Bought, installed, reading the manual right now. Time to see if 2 passionate people were able to deliver a better game than a studio of over-paid hacks...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About attributes: Can I not go under 10 in some of them or am I just stupid? I'm playing a melee fighter and I felt that the points in intelligence were completely wasted and useless.
I wanted to min max too - thought it was a wierd system. Bu then again - you would start with 20s in your main stat and unbalance the game.
I don't need complete min/maxing. It's just weird that I am stuck with stats that I am not going to have much use for (afaik). I had this same issue with Pillars of Eternity when they had something similar. It would give a better build diversity, I believe.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I don't need complete min/maxing. It's just weird that I am stuck with stats that I am not going to have much use for (afaik). I had this same issue with Pillars of Eternity when they had something similar. It would give a better build diversity, I believe.

Just consider a minimum of 10 is required to retain basic motor functions and mental faculties. And you're playing a human melee fighter not an attack drone, the character can't be brain dead. Your type of thinking shows sign of Diablo/WoW/mmorpg/PoE decline where stats are simply number modifiers devoid of any contextual meaning.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Just consider a minimum of 10 is required to retain basic motor functions and mental faculties. And you're playing a human melee fighter not an attack drone, the character can't be brain dead. Your type of thinking shows sign of Diablo/WoW/mmorpg/PoE decline where stats are simply number modifiers devoid of any contextual meaning.
I guess you are sort of right, despite me not playing MMOs. It isn't the end of the world and I don't care about min/maxing as I have said. It's more about build diversity. Do I want to build a fighter dude with defensive focus or do I want to make an all out attacker, etc. I do want numbers to have meaning outside of combat, and that is usually where stat checks and dialogue comes into play. Say that my character is a strong dumbfuck: Solving things peacefully will most probably not be an option. Or my character can't handle quests or other shit that require certain attributes. It isn't all about combat.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

You can get your followers stats below 10 though!

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

I.e. you can still buff your main Pc stats pretty well during the game. But not quite the same thing, we were talking about.

Also in PoE you could dump stats and min/max, not sure i understand the PoE comparison.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

I.e. you can still buff your main Pc stats pretty well during the game. But not quite the same thing, we were talking about.

Also in PoE you could dump stats and min/max, not sure i understand the PoE comparison.
In the beta, that was not the case for PoE. You couldn't lower the attributes as much as you wanted.

m_s0

Arcane
How do I patch this game (GOG version, Windows)? I downloaded patch.zip and followed the instructions, but it did not do anything - game shows as the same version from before the update and wants to download the same patch again. This is severely disappointing. :negative:

EDIT: I managed to figure it out somehow. Did the same thing a couple of times more, and it finally worked on the third try (?).
It's possible the game grabbed the wrong patch file. You can get those manually off the site - just pay attention to the version subdirectory. I tried patching v2 to v8 and it grabbed the v3 to v8 patch instead.

Lerk

Learned
Is this game good?
Should I buy it?
I've bought it on general principle, a two person team delivering incline like this deserves all the jewgolds we can throw at them. So yes, you should buy it.

That said, I've yet to play. On the one hand the robust patching schedule is commendable, on the other - I don't want to play an overly buggy game. Getting itchy fingers, though.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Does the GoG client take care of all your patching needs?
Just started GOG galaxy (which this game made me install) and it downloads the whole game again (3,5 GB)...
Under the settings you can find "coming soon features" and one of them is "game auto-updating" :negative:

So yeah, fuck gog galaxy.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does the GoG client take care of your patching needs?
There is a platform independent patcher built into the game, but you should read their forums to see how to use it. Its manumatic, not automatic. Also, sucks on linux atm but I'm sure they'll fix that.

Lerk

Learned
The buzz on this game outside these hallowed halls is worryingly scant, my brothers :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yea, it is sad how this game is being ignored by everyone :(

Seems if you are new to the scene the quality of your game is not important, only who you know in the press/youtube scene :(

They probably need some fairly watched Twitch personality to play it to get the word out. Or they should open topics on any forum on the internet about the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The odd thing is that some mainstream sites reported on the game shortly before it was released, but then ignored the release itself.

Yosa
Jun 1, 2015
I saw this a couple months ago on a web site I frequent

This better be RPGWatch!!

@yosa

agris

Arcane
Patron
The odd thing is that some mainstream sites reported on the game shortly before it was released, but then ignored the release itself.
I think it might be a courtesy to the game. If the people who reported on it for the more mainstream sites were actually into this style of gameplay, they might be giving Whalenought a chance to patch before releasing a review. We all lament the bug fest of modern games, but Whalenought is just 2 people and they've clearly put their heart into it. I'm hoping that after another week or so of patching (haven't tried SitS with the brand new v8 patch), we'll start to see reviews.

Also, patch 8 is up! Updated PDF manual coming later today, patch to GOG will be sent tonight. Sounds like if you're up for manual patching, that'll be available in ~6 hours.

Whalenought_Joe said:
Update 8 went live earlier today, with the following additions and fixes to known issues. Included in this is enemies mid and late game with more challenging abilities and harder hitting attacks to match a savvier, more powerful Spicer and company. We’ve updated some spells and skills that needed it as well, and have listed them in the bottom section. We’ll continue to balance as we hear and see is needed to prep the high-level expansion starting areas down the road. *Note that some economy or world-changes such as that will only affect a new game, and not disrupt places you’ve already been to or anything.

Steam and our patches area available since this morning, and if you’re waiting for GOG we’ll be sending that to them tonight when they get into the office. Our new downloadable builds will be up in ~6 hours.

Additionally, the long awaited manual update and downloadable version is going to ready today, and we’ll announce when that is up! It will be packaged at GOG as well downloadable from the current Online Manual page.

• Ending scenario which can cause characters not to move fixed
  • repeated tombstone in Lumen Targ fixed
  • Its Cale Moon Lord Shrine layering issue resolved
  • Camp water layering issue resolved
  • Fire imp random encounter now spawns correct enemies in the West
  • Re-entering areas through different entrances set you in correct position
  • Economy adjustment for sell prices and merchant purses
  • Lebez cellar exit easier to navigate to
  • During confrontation in Lebez someone could spawn over an object, resolved
  • Its Cale dresser that was bugged with trying to spawn dialogue now fixed
  • Bruul island raft now saves correctly visually
  • Bruul dialogue update
  • Kyrrilu from Emerald Mines now sells as intended
  • Mines superintendent now closes dialogue properly
  • Enemies will not cast Shimmering Scales on your party
  • Enemy spells could start in wrong location visually, fixed
  • Iele could be frozen when hit in some scenarios, fixed
  • Fuldea Mare layering issue on tower
  • Returning spice mission from Lev now grants reward
  • Untouchable objects in Lumen Cave near fields fixed
  • 2 chests found in Lebez that were not clickable now open as expected
  • Grigore of Rumin now sells wares via dialogue
  • Imps now have their attacking sounds in all scenarios
  • A few art layering issues in Corem resolved
  • Catalina convo may get interrupted in Ista Cale, fixed
  • When someone is walking toward you to commence dialogue, you cannot pause or quick save
UI:

• Item description update to show stats on top.
  • Small portrait update
  • Emerald Mines map navigation map error resolved
  • progression to get from 3 to 4+ WPN Prof made smaller
  • WPN Prof reaching 9 stars now shows correctly
  • updated minimap FOW to display cleaner
  • Moving units now stop when paused
  • Margarita now conducts conversation when intended
  • Mod numbers for CS properly reflect item deduction/enhancements
  • Mod numbers for CS go to shorter decimal now
  • Meads and torches in early areas may not stack, fixed
  • Dressers in Lumen Targ that were inoperable should now in all circumstances
  • Gems: removed numbers next to them in inventory
  • Two low-tier wands averrable have updated descriptions with more info
  • Can now open the Incantation Book from the quick-inventory
  • Can now cast spells when targeting portraits right when you enter a level
  • A handful of map’s camera boundaries for the overworld map were too wide, fixed
Skills/Spells:

• resolved issue with pausing during spell-proc and having cast speed set to 0
  • Skill Strafe: no longer shows up in their hover description if they recently took damage from it
  • Skill Poison Weapon: appropriate damage reduction
  • Spell Arcane Attack: increased damage output
  • Spell Eclipse: reduction, online tables being updated soon with newest information
  • Skill Shield Bash: applies item AC to damage appropriately in all scenarios now
  • Skill Concentrate: no lunger duplicated in character sheet
  • Disabled traps turn into disabled trap art, instead of just disappearing now
  • Wolf Form doing intended damage now
  • Some de-buff incantations resolved when it could land on caster instead of target
  • Imp stolen stats now count towards unlocking tiers of Spell and War books

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^ That, plus our review is likely to come form someone who's finished the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom