Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Serpent in the Staglands Kickstarter Update #14: Beta Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Serpent in the Staglands; Whalenought Studios

The Serpent in the Staglands beta was released to backers last night, a bit later than originally planned. The accompanying Kickstarter update is backers-only, though non-backers can view its contents on the game's officials forums. Here's what it says:

You will all be sent an email within the next half hour with a link to both the Windows and Mac versions of the beta, we have to do this manually so it might take a bit. You can download either from the dropbox folder in the link. For the initial beta we’re asking to just get your feedback on the general overview of all the systems. This would include anything concerning layout, combat, spells, dialogue, inventory use and equipment, to moving around and exploring.

We had some last minute issues with the Mac and Windows builds differing from one another, and while patching that up caused a few other problems to arise. Some of these will be addressed below, but this is part of the reason we’d like this to remain a general overview of all the beta systems. We’ll finish fixing things up and drop you a cleaner build to tackle the more detailed aspects of the gameplay in a smoother (less buggy) environment soon. This will include any of your suggestions as well. When we get that out for discussion and feedback proper, the more detailed gameplay fixes we can get from you can be used for the entirety of the game and all the maps outside the beta, which is going to make a tremendous difference in polish.

*This stage of the beta is missing a great deal of the final level of polish including conversations, item and skill tweaking, effects, and everything else you all will help improve. Consider the areas you’re playing through in an early enough stage to get a sense of the direction we’ve headed in, but not an example of what the final experience will entail. Much of this is in place just for testing while we continue to develop the rest of the maps outside the beta environment, like enemy spawning.

Bugs being fixed for the next build:
  • Text garbled in Windows
  • Fullscreening loses initial resolution chosen. Fullscreen not supported on this version
  • Small graphic glitches on Mac and Windows (art stretching, lines appearing off)
  • Quests not always saving correctly / spawning correctly. You can try initiating them, but you might not be able to finish in this version.
  • Merchants have unlimited stocked items when sold something, or to buy something.
  • Torch and world map are in flux currently, and will change in the next beta version to be much better. The World map is particularly finicky at the moment, and is a huge space to move around in currently. We’ve shrunk the map size considerably from what you’ll see in the current build, and it should be a much better solution.
  • Conversations with common folk / settlers haven’t been implemented and Arbiters aren’t spawning in yet (town guards).
  • Some existing conversations can loop
  • Entry points on some maps are not accurate to the exit point of the previous map
  • Hotkeys mapping menu isn’t synced up yet, though there are some existing ones to use.
  • Currently the only way to pass day/night is walking around overworld map. You will be able to do this other ways (talking to an innkeeper). There are differences in all areas as to what spawns and happens at night. The 5 overworld map locations are located as the green icons on the map above. This system, like mentioned, is a little broken as we’ve been implementing the new one, so travel on the overworld at your own risk. We’d advise waiting until the new build is out for an optimized experience.
  • Some backer portraits are being finished up on that were made for party-portraits.
General safety rule while playing around to help save time: SAVE OFTEN. There’s a quicksave button on the bottom right of the HUD (hotkey: Q). There are 4 companions available around the areas we’ve populated maps, though you can create a full party at the start to test as well.

Thanks so much for testing through the treacherous ground that is the beta, we hope you enjoy the direction we’re taking the game. Please share any feedback, and the more tangible ideas you have for improvement the more we can put them to good use. As mentioned in the previous post, we’d like all the feedback at the forums hub so we can be sure to see everything.​

Don't forget to vote Staglands up on Steam Greenlight, so it can be distributed in a less rudimentary fashion.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just got my email, can't wait to finish WL2 so I can check this out. Lord is it ever fucked up how many games there have been worth playing this year.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you enjoy atmosphere, this game is for you.

Every aspect that I've encountered so far reinforces it and makes the game feel alive.

Yoshiyyahu

Arcane
Patron
Halp, I get 'failed to load mono library from directory' whenever I try to run the .exe. I have the data folder and the .exe in a folder in my program files; tried it on the desktop too.

Error = 126

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Halp, I get 'failed to load mono library from directory' whenever I try to run the .exe. I have the data folder and the .exe in a folder in my program files; tried it on the desktop too.

Error = 126
Download the alternate version.

Angthoron

Arcane
Download the alternate version.
Any alternate download URL for this version? The download speed reminds me of dial-up days. Weird that the first version actually was pretty fast.
Seems there's this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q939ahm3fbb8xw3/Serpent in the Staglands Windows v1 32_64 UPDATED.zip?dl=0

Apparently this could help to launch the game as well, if you're having problems: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=14632

titus

Arcane
Patron

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, that's what I was using. Just complaining about the 28kbps speed.
Apparently this could help to launch the game as well, if you're having problems: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=14632
Doesn't seem likely as the archive was missing libraries&shit.
Ah. There were two different "updated alternative" links I think, I just linked the newer one.

Original DL doesn't work, yeah, it's missing quite a bit of stuff.

Murk

Arcane
Likewise, I'm hoping for some impressions and even screenshots if allowed (I assume it is). This was a game I was on the fence about and am hoping some first-hand reports can help tip me in favor of.

Murk

Arcane
The look and feel are definitely amazing. I was worried based on their horrifying forum template that maybe there'd be some uggishness but no, it looks great.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
From my limited time with it, I have to say that it has been a while since I have felt wonder and amazement from fantasy. Well done!

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, like I said in the other news thread, I'm really impressed with what these guys have done so far, and on such a small budget too.

Hopefully they can do everything they way they planned, it should be quite amazing then.

Starwars

Arcane
Don't have beta access but it looks great from the gameplay videos above. Not crazy about the combat looks but I'm sure it'll be fine.

What a surprise this game seems to be overall, it just came out of nowhere on kickstarter. Looking forward to release.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tried the beta for a short while and the game really is super atmospheric. Seems really fun so far, of course it needs more tuning but it's a beta after all. But now I am really hyped :) This really is the year of :incline:

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Just booted it up for the first time and my god is this fantastic. Everything about it so far is just gorgeous and it gives me the sort of warm fuzzies you get on a cold winter day inside with a warm drink. Really glad I gave these folks my money.

Would :takemymoney: again.

bonescraper

Some early impressions:

- The game let's you make your own custom party of adventurers, but you also can make only 1 main character and fill the blanks with NPCs. Don't know if they'll have their own personalities though.
- Combat feels good. It's good cause it's slow, IE slow. Unlike PoE, you can easily control your characters and their actions, it's easy to tell what's going on on the screen, who's doing what etc. I don't understand why they didn't go turn-based though, i don't see the advantage of RTwP here.
- Like i said, great atmosphere and art style, good music, cool setting. The combination of all those things instantly drew me into the game. If the story is interesting enough i can see myself enjoying this game more than D:OS and PoE combined.
- Game systems look decent enough. Definitely better than the shit Sawyer came up with. It feels good when i see all those 1D6's and other dice roll dependencies.
- Spells look interesting enough at first glance. Haven't really seen any direct damage attacks, but there's a lot of buffs, debuffs, situational spells and a crazy amount of polymorph options. Some spell examples: summon familiar, lock jam, turn to stone, poison air, polymorph party into bats (!), Morph into livestock (lel)... and i didn't even scratch the surface here. Again +1 for Staglands, 0 for Sawyer.
- The writing is good, but it certainly feels a bit too flowery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The game is quite cryptic with its systems. It needs tooltips, a lot of tooltips. You must figure out every icon for yourself. Some item descriptions don't seem to be finished? I understand this is a beta, but it looks more like an omission. I can see what damage my weapons do, but there's no info on how much protection the helmet provides? I figured that it adds 1 point of armor, but only by equipping every item one by one, and looking at how the values change.
- I understand that all combat skills are passive? I don't fully understand how this thing works. I can only have 3 passive combat skills active at one time? Am i correct?
- The spellbook has detailed information on all spells, but the quick cast bar shows only their icons with absolutely no info. I don't i'm supposed to memorize every spell icon in the game? They're also color coded, but i don't know what those colors stand for. And all spell icons in the spell book are black.
- There is no constitution attribute or anything else that governs character hit points. All chacarters start with 20 HP. Is that intentional? I don't think i like it.
- We should be able to scroll the camera a bit further than the exact edge of the map. Some parts of the map can be easily obstructed by the UI and some flavor text just gets cut away. Also, an option to hide the UI bar would be most welcome.
- I hope they're planning to add spell and footstep sounds...
- and female character sprites.

There are 2 games coming out soon which claim to be inspired by Baldur's Gate and Darklands. One made by industry veterans with a sizeable budget, and the other made by 2 passionate people with spare change. Let's see who will make a better RPG. SitS impressed me more thus far. I can only add that i regret spending only 50$ on this while i gave 160$ to that Sawyer hack fraud.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
Some early impressions:
- I understand that all combat skills are passive? I don't fully understand how this thing works. I can only have 3 passive combat skills active at one time? Am i correct?

Yes, for all characters you can have 3 passive combat skills turned on. Grade 1 has some normal passives that are on all the time, on attack, and some that proc at the start of combat. There are skills in Grades 2-4 that proc every X swings (these are more powerful, like poisoning your weapon), when you kill a target, and weapon specific ones. So you can create builds based on the combination you use. Skills and some spells also have synergies that affect one another cross-grades, which will be in the beta 2.0 after we tweak what we need to in 1.0+.

Thanks for your other feedback! Most of the issues you mentioned are already able to be tested in the next update. Hoping to focus more on combat oriented features the next round for the first grade of skills, so we can get to releasing the second soon.

But the most important question is are the dickmonsters in yet????

I'm about half done animating that thing, it will be beta 2.0. We do have the location where one of them is going to be in the current beta, however. There is a cave in a western map of the beta with these deranged padurii women/monsters and hordes of small possessed children you have to mow through to get to their birthing chamber. And what a chamber it will be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom