Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Serpent in the Staglands: A Banquet For Fools standalone expansion

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The expansion announced: http://whalenoughtstudios.com/announcing-a-fools-banquet/

AFoolsBanquetLogo_blog.png

Announcing: A Fool’s Banquet

What ho, backers!

We’re back and excited to share some information with you about the free Serpent in the Staglands expansion! Titled “A Fool’s Banquet,” the expansion takes place in the Lachovinian Isles in the aftermath of the Moon Lord’s journey through the Staglands.

A New Engine and Ruleset
As we began designing the campaign for A Fool’s Banquet, we had a ton of ideas that we wanted to implement for the expansion and for future games set in this world. While we could have shoehorned some of these into the Staglands engine, we decided to do something drastic and create an entire new engine that was set up to handle all of the new really neat mechanics and optimizations we wanted to ad in. Thus decided, we started designing and have been spending the last few months building a new and improved engine that will have much faster loading times, better performance, has taken user feedback into account and will be able to support a lot of fun new features like larger maps and stealth systems as well as utilize the height of a 3d world. We have a feature list with some highlights listed below. The mechanics will be using a new ruleset that we think you’ll love as well, but the atmosphere, lore, items, characters and, most importantly, your saved games will still be there.

A Fool’s Banquet began with one premise: authentic castles, and heists and infiltration within. Castles are fascinating, with mazes of corridors, intrigue, workers, gorgeous courtyards, and secrets waiting for a good crawl, and to adventure through all that the way we wanted, we’ve created a ton of new systems and put them in a neat package we’re calling the Burning Candle ruleset.

The Burning Candle ruleset has been designed for the Serpent in the Staglands expansion, but will also be used on our new cyberpunk game, Copper Dreams, and you can see a preview of some of the mechanics and alpha art in action here. Right off the bat you might notice a few differences, one being the game is 3d. While we love pixel art, the move to 3d is necessary to create the interesting tactics that come from height and stealth, and opens up a lot mechanics that aren’t available in a low resolution 2d game, like more accessibility in controls, UI and text. To keep the aesthetic as similar as possible and something we’ll continue to enjoy working on, we’ve chosen a 3d style that utilizes the same filterless textures as pixel art, and are really happy with how it’s turning out. We’ll have some images throughout the year for you to check out the new Vol, now in full 3d!

Features
The Burning Ruleset includes the following features:

A volumetric line of sight
Light and shadow system with dynamic lights for sneaking movement
Fully climbable and traversable height
Isometric view with four direction camera
AI with environmental tactics as well as last known position indicators
Turn based combat with timed resolution
Ailment based health system
Multi-species companions
Inventory items with a range of uses in and out of combat
Global clock with time of day lighting

The Story
Disclaimer: These stories in Vol follow specific characters, and Serpent in the Staglands leads directly into the expansion, so any plot discussion will inevitably involve spoilers.

At the end of Serpent in the Staglands, Necholai receives an unexpected summons from the East, and is preparing to sail there with a son of Erlein, a young Varuchov named Lucian. Through the series of events that Necholai’s meddling inadvertently triggered, namely the death of the goddess of portals, known as the Wandering Lady, many portals once opened are now sealed, causing the magic harnessed from gods to dwindle to nearly nothing over the course of the months since your original descent. As Necholai and Lucian begin their adventure in A Fool’s Banquet, their party has to cope with a world devoid of sorcery. Divine Magic, as it were, has been closed off from Vol, and all that remains is rune writing and some very disgruntled mages.

Playing as an acolyte for the Moon Lord that has been posted to gather information on the Lachovinian Isles, you and your fellow celestial spies are sent on a mission by Necholai, leading you to a dangerous castle with an elusive host.

Timeline
We’ll have more updates throughout the year as the expansion comes together, and will be posting more in-depth explanations of features on our blog.

Cheers!

Hannah and Joe

Also about health and resting of the new ruleset: http://whalenoughtstudios.com/health-resting/

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wtf. I didn't expect this :)
So the expansion is going to be a kind of a standalone game?
Feels more like a sequel.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, not really an expansion, more like a completely new game.
I don't care if it's 3D and has verticality but new ruleset sounds good. The old one was a bit of a mess. And TB? Yes, please! But what do they mean with "timed resolution"? An Active Time Battle system like in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies? I hope not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, not really an expansion, more like a completely new game.
I don't care if it's 3D and has verticality but new ruleset sounds good. The old one was a bit of a mess. And TB? Yes, please! But what do they mean with "timed resolution"? An Active Time Battle system like in Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasies? I hope not.

Read Sensuki posts in the Copper Dreams thread for an explanation.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
OK so the Williams will be on the show today in a couple of hours talking the SitS expansion and their new game Copper Dreams.

I'm dropping the news segment today to give them more time so they will get most of the show.

I'll try to monitor the forum for questions and comments but remember this is live radio and I have my hands full, can't guarantee I will get them. You can always call in at 501-823-0965 and ask or comment yourself, that's one of the reasons I do live talk radio so it can be interactive :)

Saturday, February 27th @ 1:05 PM Central
Little Rock: 96.5 FM
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn & iHeartRadio apps

Live stream link: http://saleminteractivemedia.com/ListenLive/player/KHTEFM

I look forward to the unique and heady blend of Codex enthusiasm and devastation.

Mustawd

OK so the Williams will be on the show today in a couple of hours talking the SitS expansion and their new game Copper Dreams.

I'm dropping the news segment today to give them more time so they will get most of the show.

I'll try to monitor the forum for questions and comments but remember this is live radio and I have my hands full, can't guarantee I will get them. You can always call in at 501-823-0965 and ask or comment yourself, that's one of the reasons I do live talk radio so it can be interactive :)

I look forward to the unique and heady blend of Codex enthusiasm and devastation.

anyway that's easier to comment besides the forum? Is there an email you'd rather we send it to?

sstacks

Arcane
anyway that's easier to comment besides the forum? Is there an email you'd rather we send it to?

You can tweet @ShanePlays ... email probably gets checked the least while the show is actually going

Mustawd

sstacks,

This is my wish list of topics I'd like to hear about:

-Lessons learned from SiTS
-New expansion and changes from the original game
-Copper dreams and discussion of the world and general discussion of the mechanics

Some specific questions:

-Is it true that the SiTS expansion is 3D? If so, why did you decide to make that change? Seems a bit jarring coming from the 2D art of the original game
-The initial concept art of Copper Dreams seemed to have kind of an 80s neon purple/yellow kind of art pallete. The preview vid seems to have a more kind of grey and muted art direction. Can you comment on this? You mentioned how the preview had some placeholder/initial 3D assets, so was curious how different the final version will be compared to the preview.

Thanks

V_K

Arcane
A New Engine and Ruleset
As we began designing the campaign for A Fool’s Banquet, we had a ton of ideas that we wanted to implement for the expansion and for future games set in this world. While we could have shoehorned some of these into the Staglands engine, we decided to do something drastic and create an entire new engine that was set up to handle all of the new really neat mechanics and optimizations we wanted to ad in. Thus decided, we started designing and have been spending the last few months building a new and improved engine that will have much faster loading times, better performance, has taken user feedback into account and will be able to support a lot of fun new features like larger maps and stealth systems as well as utilize the height of a 3d world. We have a feature list with some highlights listed below. The mechanics will be using a new ruleset that we think you’ll love as well, but the atmosphere, lore, items, characters and, most importantly, your saved games will still be there.
[...]
Features
The Burning Ruleset includes the following features:

A volumetric line of sight
Light and shadow system with dynamic lights for sneaking movement
Fully climbable and traversable height
Isometric view with four direction camera
AI with environmental tactics as well as last known position indicators
Turn based combat with timed resolution
Ailment based health system
Multi-species companions
Inventory items with a range of uses in and out of combat
Global clock with time of day lighting

[...]
Also about health and resting of the new ruleset: http://whalenoughtstudios.com/health-resting/
Now if they would only port the original campaign into the new engine, it might finally become playable. Although I don't think much can be done about mostly-empty areas filled with trash mobs.

Ninjerk

Arcane
LOL, to resolve an action in this system in PnP would probably require free body diagrams

Mustawd

there's already flame wars on RtWP and Turn-Based

Oh turn based :love:

I don't like the chaos of RtWP. That's why I like turn-based.

sstacks you're a bro.

By the way, their game mechanic sounds like 7,62 High Calibre/Hard Life? Still confused on how this differs from RTwP tactical games like Commandos and some of the UFO:Aftermath/UFO:Aftershock games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is live now.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Metal Gear Solid is exactly what I thought the alpha trailer for CD looked like. Inspiration behind the name Copper Dreams, btw? I don't know if I've heard/read that.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Will they keep the staglands font for the expansion/spin-off/new game? I recall a bit...complaining for it.

Metal Gear Solid is exactly what I thought the alpha trailer for CD looked like.
17002.jpg
Who woulda thought. :P

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had to tune out since I did not beat Serpent in the Staglands yet, but that was a great podcast sstacks. And yeah you said it right. :salute:

(I can imagine the cheers for the font already. What an odd thing to focus on.)

Kalasanty11

Learned
And I thought expansion was going to add some additional content to vanilla, not to almost be entirely new game. Kickstarter said about "map extension allowing sailing on the overworld map with increased freedom of exploration". I even waited that long with playing the game to get "fuller" experience. Guess I don't have to wait longer.

Mustawd

Yes, best show so far. Great job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom