Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Serious thread] Morrowind vs. New Vegas

Which is better?

• Morrowind

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • New Vegas

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

baronjohn

Cipher
Morrowind has a more interesting setting, superior writing and more varied gameplay and a proper PC UI.

New Vegas has more detailed graphics and sound, full voice acting, ragdoll physics and 40pt fonts.

Which is more important to the Codex (and why)?

ElectricOtter

baronjohn said:
Morrowind has a more interesting setting, superior writing and more varied gameplay and a proper PC UI.
:/

Topher

Cipher
I liked New Vegas but after I beat it I just kind of put it down but I played Morrowind (not all the way through) with several characters and to me that says something.

I liked Morrowind better.

New Vegas has superior writing, in dialogs. Superior combat too.

I liked New Vegas a lot, but the setting was nowhere as enjoyable, it further washed out the postapoc vibe -moreso than fo2- whereas Morrowind's was an improvement on swords&sorcery fantasy.

NV's non-existent difficulty, pointless economy, Jack-of-all-trades accommodating design and its much smaller scope mean that I really don't see myself going in for a third playthrough. I still see myself replaying Morrowind in the future.

Of course side-by-side New Vegas is a much better package, for someone who hadn't played any of them I'd recommend New Vegas over Morrowind any time, but 8 years ago Morrowind was far more impressive than NV is today.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Morrowind is better exploration game and has more interesting loot. But the plot? Characters? Uninteresting and very very weak. C&C is almost none, and the only freedom you have is the freedom to roam the wastes.

F:NV wins as a better RPG and a better game. Of course art is better in Morrowind and setting is very interesting but those are bonuses for a game not what defines it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Problem with New Vegas is that its world is pretty much empty outside of different locations. While the long empty areas are realistic and consistent to setting they dont make a interesting world to explore, so most of the game you just fast travel between locations. Morrowinds world was so filled with stuff that while backtracking the same path you could still find something interesting and because of that Morrowind is a superior sandbox game. In terms of writing, combat and quest design FNV is a better, but if it focused more on making a interesting world it would probably be one of the best RPGs ever made.

baronjohn

Cipher
Malakal said:
Morrowind is better exploration game and has more interesting loot. But the plot? Characters? Uninteresting and very very weak. C&C is almost none, and the only freedom you have is the freedom to roam the wastes.
How were the characters uninteresting? The blades agent undercover as a skooma addict. The necromancer and the rival apprentices in the mages guild, the dumb archmage, the Telvanni council members, ...

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
baronjohn said:
Malakal said:
How were the characters uninteresting? The blades agent undercover as a skooma addict. The necromancer and the rival apprentices in the mages guild, the dumb archmage, the Telvanni council members, ...

Those had potential, yes. But they were not developed properly. Its like artwork. Nice to look at but honestly how much time are you going to spend marvelling on those?

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Malakal said:

F:NV wins as a better RPG and a better game. Of course art is better in Morrowind and setting is very interesting but those are bonuses for a game not what defines it.

QFA

The only thing that made me play Morrowind for hundreds of hours were: Exploration and mods. At the time it was released the graphic was beautiful (and by beautiful I mean combined beautiful art with next-gen technology) and the world had the atmosphere of uneasiness. Mystery hidden behind every hill, new different lands made me go forward one more hill, one more town.... and then one more again. I didn't even do much quests because it was boring crap just as dialogues. I just role-played wanderer. I finished main quest after 2 years of constant playtime so yeah, it was just that uninteresting. Then came mods that improved everything and then I started to make my own mods.

That's the power of Morrowind.

New Vegas on the other hand has also superb writing, interesting quests (including main quest), dialogues are very good and pretty much everything is great with exception of mediocre combat (Morrowind's combat was even worse though). Exploring the world is just as much fun as it was in morrowind, though it's less varied so I guess it may become a little boring if I visit all the vaults finally... but so far after dozens of hours I explored just about 1/3 of the world.

baronjohn

Cipher
Yeah New Vegas is way better because every character is exactly the same so you can finish every quest and join every faction.

StrangeCase

Educated
Morrowind had a very mysterious and foreign atmosphere to it, and no other game I've played has managed to replicate that. The game has problems, God does it ever, but it has a very unique and appealing "feel" to it and that really worked for me.

Multi-headed Cow

baronjohn said:
Yeah New Vegas is way better because every character is exactly the same so you can finish every quest and join every faction.
Especially the voice acting. While I appreciate it isn't the same Bethesda voice actors again, a lot of these people deliver lines way too slowly and sound kinda bad. Especially strange considering AP had pretty good voice acting for the most part.

Except Yes Man. Yes Man is great.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Actually had to think about it, voted for Morrowind.

On the whole, it's just a better game. New Vegas has superior writing and more interesting NPCs (there are only a few from Morrowind I consider memorable), but still suffers from they typical modern plight of my character being ridiculously good at everything by endgame. Which, granted, was certainly possible in Morrowind, but if your idea of fun in a game is paying to train over and over again until all your skills are maxed out, well, it's your time I guess. Meh combat, great quest design in places. Morrowind comes out ahead in most categories.

Eyeball

Arcane
Morrowind. The world is simply better looking, more interesting and more fun to explore. Plus, Morrowind is one of the last games that didn't succumb to the Voiced Diaglogue Plague, meaning it has 1000 times more NPC interaction and background story than Oblivion.

Combat systems in both games are sort of lolfag, but both are still excellent games in their own right. Plus, mods make at least the Morrowind system a little more involving.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
SolipsisticUrge said:
New Vegas has superior writing and more interesting NPCs (there are only a few from Morrowind I consider memorable), but still suffers from they typical modern plight of my character being ridiculously good at everything by endgame.
You can be ridiculously good from the getgo in Morrowind using alchemy.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
baronjohn is quickly becoming one of the worst posters on the codex.

I say we fuck his shit and lead him back home.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's a difficult question. New Vegas is certainly the better RPG - more choices, a lot more skill checks, better characters and dialogues, better quests for the most part...

But Morrowind had an awesome setting, great lore, great world design, lots of places to explore, hidden artifacts to discover... it's the better exploration-game, or "hiking sim" as some 'dexers like to call it. It also has a special place in my heart and I'll vote for Morrowind, even though the NPCs are just lifeless wikipedia articles/walking signposts.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Topher said:
I liked New Vegas but after I beat it I just kind of put it down but I played Morrowind (not all the way through) with several characters and to me that says something.

Reply to your PM, god dammit! :(

Seolas

Liturgist
My main problem with NV is that I hit the level cap way too early. I was barely touching the outskirts of NV when I hit the cap and the story wasn't compelling enough to override that for me so I just felt like I wanted to finish the game ASAP after that. Almost felt punished for exploring the world and doing many side-quests before heading to New Vegas. There are mods that slow down levelling but maybe when I can stomach a full replay, which I have trouble doing with Bethesda-esque games (yeah, I know Obsidian made this one but it still has that slightly stale feel to it that Oblivion and Fallout 3 had, even if it is better in many departments).

Klaz

Scholar
New Vegas, because it's pretty much Deus Ex as an open-world game, with companions. It even comes with the bad voice acting.

Seriously, Morrowind is almost impossible to play without 200+ "essential" mods since 80% of the vanilla content is just... boring and repetitive, while I could mostly enjoy New Vegas right after I bought it.

made

Arcane
Klaz said:
Seriously, Morrowind is almost impossible to play without 200+ "essential" mods, while I could mostly enjoy New Vegas right after I bought it.
I had the exact opposite experience. Funny how that goes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom