Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Series creative zenith, and honest devs

Silva

Arcane
easytarget said:
Every creative endeavor has a zenith, for Creative Assembly it was Shogun 2. It's not something you blame them for, it simply is what it is because it's in the very nature of creative work that you have something original to say, you say it, and that's that. If they were honest with themselves they'd shelve this design and try something new.
Found this criticism of Rome 2 Total War in the steam forums, which made me thinking:

1. What are our fave series creative zenith, bros? (can we agree it's Fallout2, Morrowind and Crusader Kings 2? :smug: )

2. What are the more honest devs out there in this regard? In other words, those that avoid milking obviously beaten ideas just for money? (as weird as it sounds, I think From Software is a good example - after DS1 success, they could have spam half a dozen sequels at this point, but didn't).

Silva

Arcane
Last good was Shogun 1 actually. Medieval 1 was "okay".
Yeah, if we count the originals then Shogun1 and Medieval1 are the best, simply because the series thrive on how good the AI is at actually playing the games, and in those it consistently checkmated you with less cheating.

I'd say Shogun2 was the best of the "new" generation, where the AI managed to grok the increased complexity well enough to still pose a challenge (though not without some cheating on the side).

but last good tw was medieval 2
:hmmm:

Bro, Medieval2 AI is as braindead as Rome1. And no Barbarorum or Stainless Steel can fix that. They're cool games to LARP though, I give you that.

Master

Arbiter
Last good was Shogun 1 actually. Medieval 1 was "okay".
Yeah, if we count the originals then Shogun1 and Medieval1 are the best, simply because the series thrive on how good the AI is at actually playing the games, and in those it consistently checkmated you with less cheating.
Yes, and also the overall minimalist design fitted the japanese setting.

I'd say Shogun2 was the best of the "new" generation, where the AI managed to grok the increased complexity well enough to still pose a challenge (though not without some cheating on the side).
It may be true but the increased complexity goes against the setting. In a way these kind of games need to be simplistic.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Master said:
It may be true but the increased complexity goes against the setting. In a way these kind of games need to be simplistic.
While I agree this is the best for the series, I knda see the value in managing a sprawling empire and messing with little things like populations, food, squalor, politics, etc. even with shitty AI that can't pose a challenge. Ive spent hundred hours in Europe Barbarorum and Stainless Steel for Rome1 and Med2. Eventually you realize the AI may as well be turned OFF and get tired of moving your pretty figures from settlement to settlement and just drop it. But it's a good time while it lasts.

Master

Arbiter
Those things are okay, but more for a 4x space game. Total War was different, its own kind of thing. Especially Shogun was a very meditative zen-like experience. I guess it was a given they would add more stuff to it. But its the kind of formula where more doesnt make for better. In a way its commendable they didnt simplify and streamline it. But out of all games TW didnt need more microcomplexity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom