Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun

oscar

Arcane
Looks like this has been out for two days now. Any impressions or thoughts?

I'm particularly interested in that it seems to have a full campaign devoted to the Imjin War what has been a massive missed opportunity from other games set in the period while I quite enjoyed Pike & Shot. Looks like the DLC also covers a Mongol and Jurchen campaign.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Tbh I still haven't understood how this is required when you can play Shogun Total War.
The campaign looks shallow and the battles may be ok but no more.

oscar

Arcane
Bought it and enjoying it so far though I liked P&S quite a lot, but yeah if you don't like the engine your not gonna like this one either.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Its not the engine that makes someone not like PnS. Engine is from Battle Academy.
Its the mechanics. I could not stand how routing units work, how they are followed, how they recover, how they come back to the battlefield. Horrible.

edit

Maybe I am wrong.
How long do units rout? How long do my units follow them? Can I somehow cancel the following? If they leave the map, how long till they come back and do they always?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't care about Japan. Point of this game is to play as Ming and Qing China.

I'll play it when I get back to the States.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been playing it a bit and I like it more than Pike & Shot. I never really got into P&S, as the style of warfare in Europe during that period never interested me, but I do enjoy this better. Just wish there were more scenarios involving China; right now you have 1 scenario for Yuan, 1 for Ming, and 1 for Qing. Only Ming really interests me, but that scenario is as a backup force to the Koreans which is a bit lame, but it's still a lot of fun.

My main complaint right now is the time it takes to resolve a turn (watching all the gunfire etc), and the graphics are a bit too zoomed out. Going to play with the settings to speed it up a little, but I think the graphics are set in stone. I remember in P&S I could change the zoom rate, but it looks like dogshit up close.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Pike and Shot is better

Assuming equal interest in both time periods and locations, this is almost certainly correct. This new game adds a few new features, though, like generals, which maybe puts it ahead.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://steamcommunity.com/app/377520/discussions/0/365163686062322341/
Zarkarion [developer]
The elephant rules are fully developed in the code, with a view to scenarios in India etc., but there is as yet no elephant unit model.

We do plan to add elephants in a DLC to Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun - for Burmese, Thai etc. armies. When that is done, the model can be ported across to Pike and Shot.

e. Are commanders improvement to the game play or just a gimmick?
I will probably buy this when finished product is bundled like Pike & Shot was bundled with From Tercio to Salvo.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom