Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sell me on Gothic 1 and the series in general!

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hmmm, that would explain why I didn't like Risen. Maybe it's like this: you can only enjoy 2 out of those 3 games. After that they are too samey for you to like the third one.

No, it's just how it is.

Gothics were released for PC.
Risens were released for children consoles.

Do I need to say more?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Played a while more. Seems alright. Seems like the Gothic 2/Risen formula in an earlier stage, which is less interesting but still fun. Might not finish it unless the atmosphere ratchets up, but still plugging along. Level 3 now and thinking about heading to the New Camp.

T. Reich

Arcane
There is one thing I like about G1 over G2:NotR - in my opinion, you can pull off the pure mage thing much more smoothly in G1, plus there is less enemy HP bloat, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and the endgame boss actually feels like a boss instead of summon demon punch bag.

And no ubiqutous seekers and dragon snappers - that's gotta be a plus for sure.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played a while more. Seems alright. Seems like the Gothic 2/Risen formula in an earlier stage, which is less interesting but still fun. Might not finish it unless the atmosphere ratchets up, but still plugging along. Level 3 now and thinking about heading to the New Camp.
Bitch, just shut up and finish it. God knows you play worse AAA shit on a daily basis. Maybe this will exercise the suck out of you.

LordDenton

Augur
Dont listen to haters, Gothic 4 Arcania is the best game in the series and a must play. Its magnificent world design, story, gameplay and voice acting will leave you breathless. Some people dislike it for its difficulty but for a fine codex specimen such as you it will provide a little challenge, so get and start enjoying Arcania.

It's two years later, but this made me spill my coffee.

:bravo:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dont listen to haters, Gothic 4 Arcania is the best game in the series and a must play. Its magnificent world design, story, gameplay and voice acting will leave you breathless. Some people dislike it for its difficulty but for a fine codex specimen such as you it will provide a little challenge, so get and start enjoying Arcania.

It's two years later, but this made me spill my coffee.

:bravo:
With such low standards, you might actually enjoy Arcania.

nilco

Novice
:necro:

I started Gothic today for the first time. I don't need to be sold on the series as I played and completed Gothic 2 back in the day (and Risen), but I never got around to the original until now. I find the controls quite fine actually, despite being told for years I would hate them. Holding Mouse1 and pushing 'w' to do shit is weird, but whatever.

My biggest issue right now is that it seems like... how do I put this... the same fucking game as Gothic 2 and Risen. Does it differentiate itself more? I am only at the Old Camp so obviously I have barely begun, but I just want to make sure the story, setting and such have enough of their own personality that I shouldn't just be replaying Gothic 2 instead. 'Cause a big part of me is thinking it would more awesome to just replay Gothic 2.
:rpgcodex: necroing this shitty thread wasn't a great move.

Anyway,

When it comes to atmosphere and narrative, G1 is better than G2. It's much more tight and focused and the prison colony setting is more interesting in general. Keep at it.

My spirit has been summoned from the fucking nether. And its an odd necro tho, but hey! My old thread is on the frontpage yaaay! And also my thread isent shitty it was an honest question, and I gave gothic 1 the good ol' collage try but it wasent my cup of tea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom