Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

Momock

Augur
No character creation is fine if it's not an RPG, but are they forgetting that it's normal for action-adventure games to have different weapons, armor and other items? Those are not 'RPG elements'.
Not really. Look at Zelda for example (ignoring the last one), or Metroid, Ori, Hollow Knight....

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would rather have a single weapon with a full gamut of moves and abilities, than a large number of weapons where the primary difference is statistical.

The weapon differences in Souls aren't just statistical though. ENB said the same thing in his recent video and he was wrong too. Not only there's the obvious difference between broadly fast and heavy weapons but you also have a fairly generous range of movesets and special attacks that can make a huge difference. Plus fighting and looking for phat lewt is always fun in itself.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Not really. Look at Zelda for example (ignoring the last one), or Metroid, Ori, Hollow Knight....
Aside from Ori (which is shit) those other games all have multiple ways to equip your character, including modifications to their attacks and defense, and they're found by exploring side areas.

Momock

Augur
Eh... no? Link fights with a sword and a shield, period. Samus with the pew pew arm, Hollow Knight with the nail. There isn't any RPG elements in these games, you find gadgets, items and upgrades that expands the actions you're character can perform and give you access to new areas, like it's going to be in Sekiro. You don't have to "choose" anything, you have to find everything to 100% the game and everything "stacks" to your character, it's not the same thing has building a specific character, because they're adventure games no arpeegees.

Okay, you can choose what charms you equip in Hollow Knight, but in Sekiro you'll choose what sidearm to equip and upgrade, so...

PS: and Ori is fine. A little clunky with it's wall jump at times, but that's it for the ugly side.

sullynathan

Arcane
Aside from Ori (which is shit) those other games all have multiple ways to equip your character, including modifications to their attacks and defense, and they're found by exploring side areas.
While Metroid games give your blaster upgrades, all you're doing is shooting the same blast but with new powers added on (like ice). Zelda games are straight sword & shield all through until BOTW. Hollow Knight is with a nail but with a few magic attacks and different passive builds.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So whats your point? You don't think finding the sword upgrades in Zelda or Hollow Knight are satisfying?

What they're describing is more akin to megaman: you'll have a normal weapon that never changes and a bunch of gimmick shots that open various doors and defeat their corresponding gimmick enemies. Without any of the armor upgrades you get in the X series that allow for general upgrades. Certainly not like the other games mentioned where you can find a weapon upgrade through exploration and just be doing massively more damage for the rest of the game as a reward. Nothing to visually change your character.

Jezal_k23

Whatever. If other games successfully invested in a single weapon without too much loss of complexity or detracting from the experience, I don't see why this one couldn't work too. Miyazaki has earned the benefit of the doubt.

Jezal_k23

I just don't think I care that much that it's deviating from common Soulslike tropes. If the combat and level design are good, I'm in.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Prolly a Tenchu+action hybrid instead of a full blown action game?

I can get behind that. Too much DaS clone in the world anyway, time to create other games Form Software.

newtmonkey

Arcane
I dunno who is even still at From Software other than Miyazaki, but I have faith in those guys. King's Field series was gold from PSX to PS2, same with Shadow tower. I didn't care much for Armored Core other than the first on PSX, but then then PS3 games in the series were amazing imo. I even liked Evergrace and Eternal Ring on PS3, and Echo Night and Otogi series. You can argue that they have beat Souls formula into the ground (along with Armored Core in PSX/PS2 generation), but FromSoft is one of the best and most consistent game companies of all time as far as I am concerned.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I dunno who is even still at From Software other than Miyazaki, but I have faith in those guys. King's Field series was gold from PSX to PS2, same with Shadow tower. I didn't care much for Armored Core other than the first on PSX, but then then PS3 games in the series were amazing imo. I even liked Evergrace and Eternal Ring on PS3, and Echo Night and Otogi series. You can argue that they have beat Souls formula into the ground (along with Armored Core in PSX/PS2 generation), but FromSoft is one of the best and most consistent game companies of all time as far as I am concerned.
The Miyazaki fanboyism is grating. DS2 was a great game and I replayed it far more than any other in the series. Also, like you said, From existed before and has made plenty of games that have nothing to do with souls mechanics and just because they're making a new game without RPG systems doesn't make it 'cazul'. Some of the decisions might even go against the game sales, the butthurt generated by people who learned of From by the souls when they learned that there won't be any multiplayer is fucking huge. Most of the hypervocal, meme generating git gud bit of the community is obsessed with PVP and invasions.

The lack of multiplayer, the shinobi setting and the graphics that may look even a little inferior to DS3 and Bloodborne leaves me feeling there's not much to worry about in terms of publisher (activision) interference in the game development. The graphics look the way they do because they clearly do not expect this to be a large hit. With no expectations of inflated sales numbers there's not much room for muhcazualization for the sake of getting crowds on board. Big publishers don't even believe in single-player only experiences as far as the mainstream is concerned which is why ME and DA have multiplayer now. Most of Activision's game catalogue is focused on multiplayer stuff for a reason.
Of the big guys, Bethesda are probably the only dev/publisher remaining to put effort into single player only high budget games.

Last edited:
:thisisfine:
1tLVfMy.png

SyCFVkH.png

But Dark Souls is a hack & slash. That's what RPG's focused on combat are.

Felix

Arcane
So we finally get action-adventure games like Onimusha back instead of another 'Souls' game. Incline! I say.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I had been hoping that From Software's decision to move past the Souls series would result in a game that was more of an RPG and less action-oriented. Instead, From Software seems to have chosen the opposite path. :negative:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having a straight up action game sounds fine to me... would have LOVED a Tenchu reboot, all that grappling around reminded me of my favorite level from Tench 2 where you had to go in a mountain level full of archers and got obsessed with doing the level without getting caught
FROM is also supposedly developing an dark RPG so this is great for a change of pace

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
FROM is also supposedly developing an dark RPG so this is great for a change of pace

They said they were developing a dark fantasy game that would comply with the expectations of the fans. That's Sekiro. Nobody ever talked about an RPG.
Yes they did, they said they were developing 2 new projects, a dark fantasy RPG and another project... sounds like Sekiro is that one
I dont have the quote but I remember specifically they mentioning 2 projects

Machocruz

Arcane
I hope the dark fantasy RPG is not Souls-esque either, just to see the rage and tears in ENB and VaatiVidya comments sections. Even better if it's first person, to get that Cyberpunk 2077 butthurt damage multiplier on top.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
But Miyazaki has said several times in the past two years after Dark Souls 3's release that 1) they are working on three games right now, one of which is Armored Core 6 (the other two are Sekiro and the Sony VR game with a weird name), 2) he's planning on working on Armored Core games and other games instead of Souls from now on. Last December when they had this Armored Core anniversary stream event From's marketing manager told people to just wait a little longer before they're ready to reveal anything. Which probs means somewhere around next December or early 2019 when Sekiro production starts to wrap up.

Miyazaki says the VR game is not one of the three projects: https://gematsu.com/2018/06/from-so...zaki-hints-at-new-armored-core-in-development

From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki hints at new Armored Core in development

In December 2017, From Software’s Yasunori Ogura said that the company has “no intention of ending the Armored Core series in its current state” and asked fans to “please wait a little while longer.”

And now in 2018, with a new Armored Core title still to be announced, From Software president Hidetaka Miyazaki was quizzed on the subject during a Famitsu interview about the company’s newly announced PlayStation VR game Deracine.

“In a previous interview, I mentioned three things moving along on our major development line, but Deracine is not one of those,” Miyazaki told Famitsu. “I wanted to let some of From Software’s fans know that.”

When Famitsu asked if Miyazaki is addressing “fans whose bodies are seeking conflict,” Miyazaki did not deny it. (This is a reference to a Japanese meme in which any and every event results in the creation of a new Armored Core.)

It should also be noted that in early March, Japanese recruitment site Rikunabi posted a game development job for From Software. In the “Interview with a Senior Employee” section of the listed, Armored Core V and Armored Core: Verdict Day director Naoyuki Takahashi mentioned currently working on a new project, the name of which he did not specify.

Thanks, Games Talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom