Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Sega is Working on a “String of High Quality PC Ports”

Sega has been known forever for its oblivious management, no sense of market timing and ridiculous business decisions, despite having good developers working for them with some genuinely great games. People just have a short memory.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Sega has been known forever for its oblivious management, no sense of market timing and ridiculous business decisions, despite having good developers working for them with some genuinely great games. People just have a short memory.

Yeah, but who really cares about their management if they publish good games?

Can't say that for most western publishers.

pippin

Management matters when you want to compete and not be shoved aside and mocked by a large portion of the public with very good reasons

Yeah, but who really cares about their management if they publish good games?

Can't say that for most western publishers.
That's the thing though, their shitty management means they miss a lot of opportunities to cross-publish games that would probably be insanely successful in other markets. So it affects consumers directly, because they don't have access to the good stuff even if it's not covered by exclusivity deals. The cost-profit ratio of porting some of their older games is more likely than not really positive, as witnessed by the PC release of Bayonetta or the release a few years ago of Valkyria Chronicles. They should be doing a whole lot more of that, and the reason they're not isn't for a lack of a vocal community - people have been pleading with Sega to release some of their Japan-only shit in the west for ages, and some of their console-only shit on PC for ages also, but there's a brick wall there.

Hopefully we'll get some more cool ports, I'm pesonally hoping for Yakuza but that's probably a Sony exclusive deal.

Delbaeth

Learned
If Grandia II came back to PC (based on the DC version, not the original PC version, IIRC), Sega are perhaps working on Shenmue 1 & 2 ports.
Would be nice, but after all the Megadrive ports, jumping to DC pains me about the whole silent stance on Saturn games, as if Sega was still ashamed, where they shouldn't.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If Grandia II came back to PC (based on the DC version, not the original PC version, IIRC), Sega are perhaps working on Shenmue 1 & 2 ports.
Would be nice, but after all the Megadrive ports, jumping to DC pains me about the whole silent stance on Saturn games, as if Sega was still ashamed, where they shouldn't.

By now, AFAIK, it's pretty certain that these ports are done but they are waiting for the right time or for the licensing issues to get sorted (Timex, Coca-Cola ...)

deuxhero

Arcane
I think Sega publicly admitted it lost the source code for at least one of their Saturn games (Panzer Dragoon). The Megadrive/Genesis "ports" were all emulation wrappers and not true ports (Sega is in fact a great deal more transparent about this than most, allowing save states and rom hacks) and the Saturn was a fucking pain in the ass to emulate.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Last one is not like the others.

aJR6zIP.png

Vorark

Erudite
Vanquish! It's the Platinum game I've always wanted to play, even more than Bayo. Good on ya Sega :cheersmate:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After beating Vanquish a few years back I can confirm it's the best console point and shooty of that decade, and so far, of this decade.

The movement alone is just awesome.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
http://nichegamer.com/2017/05/08/sega-further-teases-vanquish-pc-port/

We previously reported how Sega was blatantly teasing a PC version for the Platinum Games-made action-shooter, Vanquish.

Now, the company has tweeted out the following image:

If you didn’t notice, the above image of the game’s main antagonist shows the same emblem, leading us to believe an announcement is imminent.

Coming off the previous tease, this probably means the game will be a re-release on PC this year.

We’ll keep you guys posted.

flyingjohn

Arcane
So are all these quality pc ports only going to be related to platinum games?
Cause after vanquish there is nothing left for platinum to port.
I am not complaining,but it would be nice if Sega considered porting resonance of fate or the other Valkyrie chronicles games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am not complaining,but it would be nice if Sega considered porting resonance of fate or the other Valkyrie chronicles games.

What about god hand? Madworld or whatever that one wii gane with chainsaw thin called

flyingjohn

Arcane

What about god hand? Madworld or whatever that one wii gane with chainsaw thin called
God hand rights are probably owned by Capcom(since it was made under clover studios) and Madworld rights are probably owned by Nintendo considering it was a wii exclusive.(same deal as infinite space for the ds)
Just because a developer made a game doesn't mean they have the rights to make new stuff from the license.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You seriously want Resonance of Fate? Game is boring as hell.
i find the combat interesting enough. i think it was my babby's first hardcore turn based game. before i've only played simple shit like final fantasy games and such

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom