Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Seeking recommendations for modern TBS Squad Tactic games

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
haven't played Hammer & Sickle though, which seems to be similar and the unofficial successor. Is that one good too? Couldn't find it on neither GOG nor Steam sadly so might be hard to acquire.
It's more of an espionage oriented gig, fewer fights, but larger ones, and NO handholding. It's awesome in it's own right.

7,62: Looking at Screenshots from Steam I vaguely recall playing a pirated copy some time ago with a bad english translation and the feeling that I'm playing a poor man's attempt of recreating the Jagged Alliance style in real time. Almost like Back in Action only worse. But perhaps I didn't do it justice and ought to give it another go, proper this time around with the mentioned Blue Sun mod as well.
You might be better off trying the Hard Life mod(comes free with a steam purchase of 7.62) the guy who did most of the Blue Sun mod added some of his own writing, and it jars with the existing Russky-to-anglisky text.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Door Kickers: another good suggestion, thanks. I picked it up a while back and played it for roughly eight hours and those were quality, entertaining eight hours. Yet it started to get quite repetitive after that point for me personally. Kinda like a "been there, done that" feeling you know?
Door Kickers is definitely one of those games that are best enjoyed in low dosages. I just play it for 1/2 hour now and then.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys :love:

MadMaxHellfire "keep playing those you already played."
yeah it is convenient to stick to what you know especially when it's the best the genre has to offer but you gotta broaden your horizon some time man. After all you can only feed Deidranna a lead meal so many times before even such a fun activity starts to get a bit stale. (I know, I know: sacrilege! And all that jizz :D)
i know and i agree, to some extent.
when "broadening your horizon" is comparable to hammering your balls, the perspective changes.

rezaf

Cipher
Angelo8 said:
I haven't played Hammer & Sickle though, which seems to be similar and the unofficial successor. Is that one good too? Couldn't find it on neither GOG nor Steam sadly so might be hard to acquire.

Personally, I wasn't too fond of Hammer & Sickle, but I've also heard people review it favorably. If you want to give it a shot, yeah, you might to have to resort to extreme measures to find a copy these days.

It's so sad the X-Com clone or the Jagged Alliance sequel based on the engine never saw the light of day. I just read the RPS retrospective and ... there just should be more games that play like this.
No other game/engine can give SS2 a run for it's money, and it's been almost 15 years. What is it with technology improving and games getting simpler?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

rezaf

Cipher
Nonsense, I played it last year I think ... and like I wrote, there's just nothing like it even to this day.
Would it be better with decent production values, shorter AI turns, soldiers with more personality, a better story and no panzerkleins? You bet. But there's still no other game that allows you to wreak havoc like S2 does.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also no comment about Long War. It is more complex than UFO in many things (technology and air combat)

the ai has big issues, with soldiers running back and forth between two points and only then attacking, the camera is not "neverwinter nights 2"-bad but it's not that far from that either, the cursor is not very precise and sometimes makes your little men run when you only wanted to take one fewer step, load a corpse on your shoulders and watch how things explode as you pass by, the main base divided in so many rooms... even trying to savescum is a chore.

Severian Silk

Personally, I wasn't too fond of Hammer & Sickle, but I've also heard people review it favorably. If you want to give it a shot, yeah, you might to have to resort to extreme measures to find a copy these days.
I think Hammer & Sickle was mentioned in one of GOG leaks as a possible release.

fake edit.
Here:http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/gog-com.69065/page-287
I bought a boxed copy at GameStop when it was released and it had no discs in it. :(

[edit]

The employees must have "redistributed" my wealth.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Tenplar Battleforce is weirdly good. It is quite simple in a lot of details, but the amount of love the devs poured on it is impressive. It's like a bunch of guys said "We're going to make a GOOD WH40k game! We don't have the money for licenses so we're going to write up whatever we can. Let's do this!"

And they did.

Minuses are the interface, quite clearly made for both PC and tablet, and the enemy variety somewhat on the low side. But it's solid, and worth the little money it costs. Plus, they keep updating it and patching it.
This game is quite good I strongly recommend it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom