Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why didn't this get more attention? It's the most retarded thing I've read in a while.

To ask the question is to answer it.

DraQ

Arcane
Most of what you listed was also in the original. Hacking was real time (you could be shot at), upgrading it was useful (couldn't control turrets on trained), hacking alerted NPC's (friends or foes) if the bar would slide..
Except no.

Hacking was indeed done in real time and enemies did in fact detect you, position themselves and aim at you. The problem is that they never attacked, so you could have an entire firing squad trained at your noggin, but as long as you stayed logged in you were safe. Contrast DX:HR, where the enemies would shoot at you if they seen you hacking and taking damage would log you out.
In DX1 heroically diving into a room with turrets, multiple enemies and security terminal, and patching into that terminal would be a valid tactics as it would ensure no one would fire at you and you'd be able to put on your cool face and just slaughter a roomful of enemies with turrets while they would just stand there like lemons.
In DX:HR it would simply result in a security terminal painted with your organs.

Next, upgrading from trained to advanced was indeed useful, but other than turrets and a bit more time it didn't open new routes - yes you could shoot enemies with turret mounted gun D in addition to guns A, B and C in your inventory (yay), but that's it - every terminal in game was perfectly and equally hackable on trained, and there was no reason to ever go master, because it provided literally no tangible benefits. Compare DX:HR where there are 5 security levels of terminals, in addition to perks for controlling turrets, robots and auxiliary perks helping with various aspects of hacking. Those 5 levels mean that your investment in hacking can drastically alter paths available to you in game.

Finally, hacking didn't actually alert anyone in DX1, failing your hack did, but in DX:HR merely being spotted while hacking can trigger hostility.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
hueheauhuahaeuhehuhe

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed
Electronic Arts' stock has lost almost 40 per cent of its value since the start of this calendar year - and in fact, since the middle of last holiday season (around November 2011) the company's stock has been in a steady decline which has now wiped close to 50 per cent off EA's valuation. It's not a decline as sharp as THQ's, but it represents a much larger loss of value - THQ's market capitalisation is only around $50 million, whereas even after this enormous loss of value, EA is still capitalised at around $4 billion.
Firstly, there's Star Wars: The Old Republic. EA's stock price went into decline after The Old Republic's launch, and hasn't recovered yet - and that timing is unlikely to be a coincidence. Expectations among investors for SWTOR were extremely high, given the game's much-publicised high development costs (which probably make it the most expensive game project ever), the strength of the Star Wars license, the track record of developer Bioware and, crucially, the tantalising possibility of building an ongoing MMO revenue stream for EA which would match the one enjoyed by rival Activision Blizzard from World of Warcraft. While it would be unfair to characterise SWTOR as a complete failure, it has certainly not been a success on the level which EA or its investors would have wanted. The game has lost 400,000 subscribers since February, and it seems inevitable that the company will be forced into an embarrassing (but probably commercially sensible) transition to a free-to-play model sooner rather than later.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-22-need-for-speed-movie-coming-from-dreamworks
Electronic Arts and DreamWorks have announced that the film rights for the Need for Speed franchise have been acquired by DreamWorks. The film will be written by George Gatins based on an original story by him and his brother Johns. John Gatins previously wrote Real Steel, while George was an executive producer on the comedy She's Out of My League.
EA will produce the film alongside John Gatins and Mark Sourian. Act of Valor director Scott Waugh is attached to direct, with a planned 2014 release date.

poor man's the fast and the furious imminent

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
I find TFTF to be kind of shit, also the foreign language translations of "Need For Speed" will be glorious

anyway, have this little contribution (nsfw and sanity)

(no, me finding this has nothing to do with the unquarantined furfaggotry thread down in GD, well, since the link kind of spoils it why/how the fuck did they include stasis)

Cassidy

Arcane
I find TFTF to be kind of shit, also the foreign language translations of "Need For Speed" will be glorious

anyway, have this little contribution (nsfw and sanity)

(no, me finding this has nothing to do with the unquarantined furfaggotry thread down in GD, well, since the link kind of spoils it why/how the fuck did they include stasis)

The Patriotic Nigras continue to fight the good fight there, with their hax.

:hero:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EA's stock price went into decline
:incline:

When is a decline an incline?

philosoraptor.jpg

WL_ani_209.gif
Kevin! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

t.jpg
The frat house, a sweet 360, controller at your hands and beer on the table.

WL_ani_209.gif
Wrong! Codex, what is best in life?

:rpgcodex: To see EA having their expectations crushed, see them driven before the market, and hear the lamentations of their investors.

WL_ani_209.gif
That is good! That is good.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
poor man's the fast and the furious imminent

EA 2002: "Hey, that Fast and the Furious movie is the hottest thing right now. Let's "improve" one of our franchises by copying it."

EA 2012: "Hey, one of our franchises begins to suck. Let's revitalize it by making a movie. Cars are all hot and stuff and that Fast Five thing seems to sell well"

Universal Pictures should fucking sue EA.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
abnaxus she's mentioned it multiple times on her twitter but I'll be damned if I'll scroll through all that--oh goodie, she mentioned it on her blog.
http://requireshate.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/heterosexualitys-just-a-phase-the-damage-of-romance/
You want me to believe that a brand of fiction that’s played a role in othering me, in contributing to my years of internalized homophobia, in fucking me up, in making me feel less than human for not expressing my libido the way these liberated romance “heroines” do… you want to tell me this is “feminist.”
Canderous Ordo cries, her love for him being lies. Ode to a Mandalorian.

Kitako

Arcane
Today must be the day of derp.

Just found this "Samuel L. Jackson as Nicki Minaj" video, and your argument is indeed invalid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom