Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
BgDSozz.png

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
I thought Kotor 2 was a really awesome game, yet years later and many forum opinions accounted for, it went down in history as unfinished, rushed, and lacking in content.
nice try, it was great regardless

I agree. But my perceptions at the time, didn't take in to the account that the game was actually unfinished and actually had some glaring flaws, and even the article on Wookiepedia and Wikipedia addresses this. The whole point is that the reality of the game is more important, than the players perception. Kotor 2 is great, and it's even better with the restoration patch.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Just another reason never to work in the abhorrent pile of shit that is the AAA games industry. Crunch time is an unfortunate necessity in a lot of projects (not just software, as I can attest to, being employed in market research), unpredictable shit can happen, bad luck can crap all over your schedules if enough random shit goes against you, and sometimes you can't move the deadline due to external factors.

But these idiots have internalized it to such an extent that they basically put the crunch period in their initial project schedule, and even boast about it on Twitter. Do you guys know any other industry where someone talks about forcing their employees into sustained (and often unpaid ) overtime in a positive way?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Do you guys know any other industry where someone talks about forcing their employees into sustained (and often unpaid ) overtime in a positive way?

Commandments of working in Advertising:

Thou shalt not have any emotional, social or family life.
Thou shalt not see thy son grow up.
Thou shalt not have vacations, holidays, weekends or any other kind of rest.
Sleep is considered resting, thus thou shalt not sleep.
Haste shall be thy only friend, and thou main meals shall be pizza and snacks.
Thy hair shalt became white before time, if any remains at all.
Thy mental health shalt be compromised before 5 years of work.
Thou shalt have gastritis, if lucky. Most shall have ulcer.
Work shalt be thy main talk subject, perhaps the only one.
10º The coffee machine shall be thy best colleague, but caffeine shalt turn ineffective.
11º Happy Hours shalt serve only to meet other madman such as thyself.
12º Thou shalt dream about clients, and solve work problems during sleep.
13º Thou shalt display the dark circles under thy eyes as war trophies.
14º And worst, thou shalt enjoy all this.

This was framed at the entrance of a advertisement agency I worked once.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Do you guys know any other industry where someone talks about forcing their employees into sustained (and often unpaid ) overtime in a positive way?
The financial industry is apparently miles worse than software when it comes to overtime and other demands made on the employees.
There difference is that the finance folks get paid enough money that they can retire at 30....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I know of people that went throught a INSANE crunch in the finantial industry, but afterwards got a bonus of 250k dollars...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
But these idiots have internalized it to such an extent that they basically put the crunch period in their initial project schedule, and even boast about it on Twitter. Do you guys know any other industry where someone talks about forcing their employees into sustained (and often unpaid ) overtime in a positive way?
Disgusting monsters.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The financial industry is apparently miles worse than software when it comes to overtime and other demands made on the employees.
There difference is that the finance folks get paid enough money that they can retire at 30....

If you're a broker alternatively a salesman "consultant" in corporate or private banking, a very, very good one. Other than that though even if you keep getting ridiculous bonuses from exceeding sales targets and commission fees, you'll never make enough for retirement at 30-something.

As far as working overtime is concerned I had a boss when I was an intern at one bank, the boss of my boss to be exact, who lectured two new retail "consultants" on what he expects. He came three days in a row and interrupted their training for two to three hours each day, to deliver his sermon. He said there is nothing wrong with the fact that he has to work at least two hours unpaid overtime every day because that's how much work he has, and he expects no less from every subordinate. Needless to say during my entire internship there I have not met even one person, including my direct superior, who wouldn't be utterly depressed by working at that bank. Although I'm surprised my superior didn't ditch that place, such a good manager went to waste working for corporate "suitist scum" like his boss. Could find work as a manager in some less soul-crushing field easily. Then again he was probably tied down by mortgage or something.

Employment in financial institutions, I avoid it whenever I can.

Brinko

Arcane
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-10-16-ubisoft-shares-plunge-20-percent
As much as the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 might suffer from the delay of Ubisoft's Watch Dogs, that may seem minor compared to the impact to the publisher itself. Ubisoft's shares have taken a pounding today, with the company's stock trading down 22 percent as of this writing.

Watch Dogs had been expected to be one of the biggest attractions for the next-generation systems, an open-world game based on a new intellectual property available at launch for both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. That was until yesterday, when Ubisoft announced it was pushing back Watch Dogs to spring of 2014 because it wasn't yet ready for launch.

The Watch Dogs delay may be the most disappointing news for gamers, but it was just one of a number of Ubisoft setbacks for investors. The publisher also pushed its open-world racing game The Crew into the next fiscal year, and revealed that recent releases Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist failed to meet the company's sales expectations. Those factors put together were reason enough for Ubisoft to lower its full-year sales forecast more than €400 million, or about 30 percent.

[CORRECTION]: The original version of this article contained a mistaken share price (although the percentage decline was accurate). Ubisoft shares ended the trading day down 26 percent to $8.19.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I knew Ubisoft's luck couldn't last forever. Hope it doesn't affect Might & Magic X.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom