Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I watched this video two days ago. :cool:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Nice compilation video. I was a huge Duke3D fan when it was released, and tried to keep tab of all the "little things" in the game. This was a nice trip down memory lane for me. The Easter Eggs I did not know of that are mentioned in the video:

# The e-mail address in the stall in E1M1.

# LevelLord's acronym in the room with the dancing woman in E1M5.

# The HAL9000 texture (personally I think that's a bit of a stretch).

# The second '1138' message in E2M2.

# The Blum Bed Co reference.

# The "Bite Me" message in E2M7.

# The "Doodie Bar" in E3M8.

# All the hidden messages in E4M1.

# The Barney Miller reference in E4M5.

# The Trash compactor reference in E4M7.

But there are a few that they got wrong:

# The Roger Moore reference in E4M1 is not a reference to Goldfinger, but to The Saint, a show that Roger Moore starred in.

# The E2M3 map doesn't look like the Enterprise, it looks more like a Klingon warship. [/Trekkie]

# In E4M5 the phrase is "Book'em, Dano!", not "Buck'em Dano!".

# The "hidden image" in E4M5 is of George Washington, along with the text "OPEN", a clue telling you to open the portrait of George Washington to access the secret level.

# I'm pretty certain that the cryogenic alien in E4M11 is not specifically a reference to ID4. It doesn't really matter, because there are other ID4 references on that same level.

They should do more of these videos for Blood, Shadow Warrior and the pre-decline Fallout games... except the Fallout 2 video would be more than 2 hours long.

Liston

Augur
9NteL09.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The Wii's processor is called PowerPC :troll:

The PowerPC architecture is pretty ancient: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC

Hasn't been used in PCs for ages (and even then it was only Macs)

The Xenon and Cell processors in the 360/PS3 are also PowerPC. The architecture is still significant when it comes to embedded processors. The "PC" stands for "Performance Computing"

edit: Also, the architecture is far from ancient, it's from the early '90s.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
For some reason I thought PowerPC came out in the 80s rather than 1992, but 21 years ago is still pretty ancient in the computer world. In 1992, the pentium wouldn't come out until a year later and people were still using Windows 3.0.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Kotaku previews Broken Age again:
Broken Age plays very much like an old-school point-and-click adventure; Rice used a mouse to play, and everything was very streamlined. There's a single icon for interaction—just hold the cursor over an object and click. The approach is simplified significantly from the "Push/Pull/Talk/Etc." options in adventure games past. Characters walk where you click, and move along pre-ordained "rails," just like in Monkey Island or Grim Fandango. You have an inventory. Sometimes you pick up objects from that inventory and click them on objects in the world. You get the idea: It's an adventure game.
Yeah, Grim Fandango was tottaly on rails and click-based like Monkey Island... only in gaming you'll find "experts" that can't even get basic shit from the most popular titles right.

Just imagine a similar mistake in other areas: "The colour of this movie is rich and wonderful, just like in Citizen Kane!". :roll:

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Cuz words don't have meanings.

I'm playing the best game ever made right now. It's called I Sit In My Chair. The goal is to sit here and type words until I get tired and go to bed. It's highly immersive, here in this dark room, with the buzz and crackle of a broken computer speaker. So many choices too. Do I turn off the speaker and save myself the annoyance, or do I keep it on and try to ignore the unpleasant noise emanating from it? Do I get up and grab a snack and risk having to restart my sitting from the last checkpoint, or do I go hungry? If I sit here too long without consuming nutrients, I could die. Game Over.

The story is highly compelling, wouldn't you say?

Athelas

Arcane
Is Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture going to be a high-octane shoot ‘em up? I think you already know the answer to that. But if that’s what you love then don’t panic as there are plenty of games out there that will float your Uzi-laden boat.
Classic strawman. Because apparently there's no middle ground whatsoever between violent, mindless shooter and pretentious walking simulator.

The Chinese Room is unusual in that a writer and a composer head up the company.
And yet their writing and music is still utterly forgettable.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Edge article said:
This question rests on the idea that games are purely driven by mechanics and goals, and this seems laughably outdated as a concept.
:nocountryforshitposters:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Gaming hipsters are just as annoying as Call of Duty bros. It's like fucking Republicans and Democrats.
At least CoD bros might be socially adequate and good to have a beer with. Be fair to the CoDbros, an average guy with shit taste in games is infinitely better than the pretentious cunts that make up gaming hipsterdom.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
CoD bros are racist, sexist, homophobic assholes worth culling.

Dexter

Arcane
Gaming hipsters are just as annoying as Call of Duty bros. It's like fucking Republicans and Democrats.
At least CoD bros might be socially adequate and good to have a beer with. Be fair to the CoDbros, an average guy with shit taste in games is infinitely better than the pretentious cunts that make up gaming hipsterdom.
I dno, I think it might be a tie...

Lancehead

Liturgist
Edge article said:
This question rests on the idea that games are purely driven by mechanics and goals, and this seems laughably outdated as a concept.
It's ironic that she doesn't doesn't provide any argument for why this concept is outdated and/or laughable but criticises the opposition as lacking in substance and rationale. But it's not surprising since to her the concept only "seems" laughably outdated.

Edge article said:
Why do we feel the need to classify and name and label before we can enjoy something?
But of course you do feel the need to call your product/whatever a "game", and get upset if people disagree.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And as it is on real politics, both are the same thing, the Republicans like to shoot things, especially things that walk in two legs and the Democrats acting intelectually superior and appealing to drama and hysteria every time their bullshit is exposed. CoD single player is like Dear Esther but with explosions and a mini game where you have to connect a dot on the center on the screen to other point in the screen, generaly something with a concave shape when you click once a number appear to reward you for connecting the dots. In case of Dear Esther, only a reactionary, racist,mysogenistic and illiterate wouldn't like the revolutionary and audacious idea of making an "videogame without game in it".

But if the masses want something so rustic, they should make Dear Esther 2 incorporating some CoD mechanics, Dear Esther 2: A CoD for hipsters would have the same mechanic as CoD but every time you click once on something, instead of blood flying, a pidgeon representing the simbolic representation of simbolism would fly in the sky, the numbers would be written in egyptian hieroglyphs to show how the human experience can't be understood and a music composed by a bored musician would play to remind you that you are a sad fuck for playing video games instead of experience the true art that is watching art movies.

Coriolanus

Learned
This "CoD bros" culture is completely alien to me, where I'm from playing video games is automatically linked to being an extreme nerd and manchild.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom