Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Brinko

Arcane
s1y5Um9.jpg

Jashiin

Arcane
To you art obviously has a definition, and needs to be confined within certain parameters for you to enjoy it as art, that's fine but I feel no need to restrict myself that way looking at creation proces, intent and result.

Words have meanings. You don't get to make up your own just because you feel a certain way about something. I mean you can, but it's just play pretend at that point.

So give a perfect definition then ?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:roll: Another case of a site like Reuters publishing a screed to position themselves as The Only Outlet Worth Trusting.
It's an anonymous post on /v/, the likelihood pf the guy actually working for Reuters is not good. On the other hand, shitting on IGN is always good.

Lorica

Educated
Well, okay, then I think it's dishonest for this guy to write a post saying that no commercial games journalism outlet should be trusted because he had a few bad experiences auditing them and their business practices and I hope that readers don't blindly believe what he has to say. Many writers work hard to ensure that they're reporting fairly and honestly and accurately.

Lorica

Educated
Many writers work hard to ensure that they're reporting fairly and honestly and accurately.

They do. Just not the ones that report on video games.

My advice would be to trust the people who are totally candid about what they see and how they feel about it, like the prestigious Kotaku. Journalism isn't about conflicts of interest or good investigative practices, it's about being open about how you feel and stuff. After all, all perspectives are biased, so no number of precautions can really address the bias problem.

Machocruz

Arcane

Of "art"? If you're talking about an art-object or work it's an object or work (to include arts that don't produce objects, like music pre any known recording device) conceived and crafted by an intelligent being in response to stimuli. That's simple and broad, maybe too broad, but its a definition and I'm trying to be diplomatic as possible. Maybe only humans can really create an art object, and maybe stimuli should be limited to the outside world and inner ideas, but who knows what goes on inside the heads of elephants when you give them a brush,
so I'm future proofing my definition in case the animal singularity happens :troll:

Now, we may not actually have that big of a disagreement since you haven't given any examples of what you consider random, unintended art that defies definition (and they may not be as unintended as you think), but for instance, I've heard people say that a thought can be art. Um, no. Nor is a messy bed, a decaying shark in a tank, or undercooked pasta. You probably didn't have this kind b.s. in mind, but this is the internet, so I take no chances.

I wonder if you took monetary gain, validation, and an audience concerned with appearing different or ahead of the curve out of modern art, if people would still submit their unmade bed as an art object? I tend to believe that artists of the past were more honest about what they were doing. "Artist" was a trade for them, or a role they took/were given within the group, and as such they had to have an intention and an ability to bring that intention into physical (or oral,aural) form through a method of craft. Artwork was a form of communication as well as a personal pre-occupation.

Anyway, I can't think of any known works that fall outside the basic definition. Whether it's cavemen paintings in France, Hokusai woodblock, Rodin scultpure, Bach composition, Dante poem, Bacon painting, or Bergmann film, they share the common bond of "holding the mirror up to nature" through crafted works.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane

Of "art"? If you're talking about an art-object or work it's an object or work (to include arts that don't produce objects, like music pre any known recording device) conceived and crafted by an intelligent being in response to stimuli. That's simple and broad, maybe too broad, but its a definition and I'm trying to be diplomatic as possible. Maybe only humans can really create an art object, and maybe stimuli should be limited to the outside world and inner ideas, but who knows what goes on inside the heads of elephants when you give them a brush,
so I'm future proofing my definition in case the animal singularity happens :troll:

Now, we may not actually have that big of a disagreement since you haven't given any examples of what you consider random, unintended art that defies definition (and they may not be as unintended as you think), but for instance, I've heard people say that a thought can be art. Um, no. Nor is a messy bed, a decaying shark in a tank, or undercooked pasta. You probably didn't have this kind b.s. in mind, but this is the internet, so I take no chances.

I wonder if you took monetary gain, validation, and an audience concerned with appearing different or ahead of the curve out of modern art, if people would still submit their unmade bed as an art object? I tend to believe that artists of the past were more honest about what they were doing. "Artist" was a trade for them, or a role they took/were given within the group, and as such they had to have an intention and an ability to bring that intention into physical (or oral,aural) form through a method of craft. Artwork was a form of communication as well as a personal pre-occupation.

Anyway, I can't think of any known works that fall outside the basic definition. Whether it's cavemen paintings in France, Hokusai woodblock, Rodin scultpure, Bach composition, Dante poem, Bacon painting, or Bergmann film, they share the common bond of "holding the mirror up to nature" through crafted works.
This thread is a work of art.
:obviously::salute:

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera

I think Jashiin is the person who asked that.

I think your definition is pretty good though. I also agree that elephants may be capable of making art - they are, after all, one of the only non-human species that engages in ritual expressions of grief.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Well, okay, then I think it's dishonest for this guy to write a post saying that no commercial games journalism outlet should be trusted because he had a few bad experiences auditing them and their business practices and I hope that readers don't blindly believe what he has to say. Many writers work hard to ensure that they're reporting fairly and honestly and accurately.
:excellent:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
And why do you think the shitty shooting in original Doom have some replay value?

I ain't even mad.
I agree with you, shitty is the wrong word to put. Outdated gunplay is a more accurate term. This is just like Darth Roxxor review of darklands, where he gloss over some fundamental flaws of the sandbox mechanics of the game(except combat of course, since the consensus is that the combat is shit).

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
There is a form of games journalism for TV and Movies, at least in the US. It is comprised of evening magazine shows that are essentially PR fluff for the industries. Some examples include: Access Hollywood, Extra, Entertainment Tonight, etc... The problem with the games industry is that it lacks everything but the PR fluff.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Just play this video, and listen...

Keep in mind that this is from the Official Channel of Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo.

Ninjerk

Arcane
WTF is wrong with decline franchise fans?! It's bad enough to worship these games but wtf

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom