Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

TBH, I regret only one thing - I wanted to say that, while he poses as a glorious space marine, in fact he's a filthy slaaneshite (maybe with a tint of khorn worshipping).

taeM9nk.jpg

LundB

Mistakes were made.
RAPE IS TOTALLY NOT A BIG DEAL GUYS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO TRULY EVIL ACTS LIKE GRADE-SCHOOL BULLYING WHICH CAUSE SUPER-SERIOUS PTSD! :awor:

Anyway! With those hojillion caveats aside: let's talk about inclusivity in Borderlands 2. Let's talk about characters like Ellie.

Ellie specifically bucks against the stereotypes that all female video game characters must conform to mass-market definitions of beauty (not to mention, if I can digress for a moment, the fact that even our more conventionally attractive characters like Lilith and Maya still have infinitely more realistic proportions than most games).

Her look, concepted by Matias Tapia, is considerably more realistic than most female video game NPCs. She exists not as eye candy for some assumed type of (heterosexual, male, 18-27 year old) player, but as a character in and of herself – a character who finds herself beautiful, and refuses to be the butt of anyone’s joke. Ever.

"considerably more realistic". Do these people even think for a second about what they're saying? I've encountered plenty of women who are very thin but have big ol' titties, some thanks to genetics, others thanks to surgery. They're not the norm by any means, but they're not impossible fantasy creatures. I have NEVER encountered a woman who looks like the one in that picture in real life, and of the few who come remotely close, none could move without a scooter. I've only seen women that size on tv (and if we count tv, you can up the number of 'most female vg NPC' equivalents a bunch too), and again, they cannot move themselves. A woman that size walking around by herself is not 'more realistic', it's an outright fantasy.

And while we're at it, it encourages an unhealthy attitude towards one's body. These people love bitching about advertisements 'making' girls starve themselves, well the same exact complaints can be leveled at depicting such medically disastrous levels of morbid obesity as anything approaching ok.

Anyway, Borederlands 1 bored me to tears within a few hours. If Borederlands 2 has continued the decline by being both boring AND preachy, I"m glad I gave it a miss.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
"considerably more realistic". Do these people even think for a second about what they're saying? I've encountered plenty of women who are very thin but have big ol' titties, some thanks to genetics, others thanks to surgery. They're not the norm by any means, but they're not impossible fantasy creatures. I have NEVER encountered a woman who looks like the one in that picture in real life, and of the few who come remotely close, none could move without a scooter. I've only seen women that size on tv (and if we count tv, you can up the number of 'most female vg NPC' equivalents a bunch too), and again, they cannot move themselves. A woman that size walking around by herself is not 'more realistic', it's an outright fantasy.

And while we're at it, it encourages an unhealthy attitude towards one's body. These people love bitching about advertisements 'making' girls starve themselves, well the same exact complaints can be leveled at depicting such medically disastrous levels of morbid obesity as anything approaching ok.

It's just a video game character, dude. You bitching about how it's not realistic, and it encourages unhealthy dietary habits is in no way different from all these guys complaining about females having big tittays in other games.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I'm not bitching about it not being realistic, I'm bitching about the guy disingenuously claiming it's 'more realistic', when it's really just fantasy pandering for a different demographic. The unhealthy part just highlights the hypocrisy. I couldn't give a shit about the character itself, but the full-on derp attitude of devs is something worth mocking and/or calling out as retarded.

If you disagree with that, what the fuck are you doing in a thread where that's pretty much the main theme of discussion?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
RAPE IS TOTALLY NOT A BIG DEAL GUYS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO TRULY EVIL ACTS LIKE GRADE-SCHOOL BULLYING WHICH CAUSE SUPER-SERIOUS PTSD! :awor:
I never claimed that rape isn't a big deal.

I met too many people who went from being good students to burned out wrecks who have difficulties going to school and learning and barely pass from semester to semester or have to repeat semesters (besides suffering and developing mental problems in themself) thanks to bullying, to not consider bullying a vile evil act (in before victim blaming - fuck, it I quit this thread).

Conventional violence and psychological violence is commonly (as in by non-psychologists) dismissed as a source of mental trauma. As demonstrated ITT.

:lol:

Awor I know of some skyrim mods that could help. You just gotta ask.
PM me, OK?
I don't have skyrim or a computer capable of running skyrim. Too bad that no one made such mod for ToEE or Baldur's Gate.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
I'm not bitching about it not being realistic, I'm bitching about the guy disingenuously claiming it's 'more realistic', when it's really just fantasy pandering for a different demographic. The unhealthy part just highlights the hypocrisy. I couldn't give a shit about the character itself, but the full-on derp attitude of devs is something worth mocking and/or calling out as retarded.

If you disagree with that, what the fuck are you doing in a thread where that's pretty much the main theme of discussion?

I'm just saying that most likely it's just a goofy, cartoony character, and strapping any sort of cultural/social ideology to it is retarded as hell.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....I WANNA GO HOME AND GET RA- I MEAN COMMIT RAPE IN SKYRIM.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I'm just saying that most likely it's just a goofy, cartoony character, and strapping any sort of cultural/social ideology to it is retarded as hell.
And I was just saying that he was retarded as hell for both strapping an ideology to it and portraying said strapping in a hypocritical and dishonest manner.

...and I guess also that I know plenty of thin women with good tits. :smug:

Anyway! With those hojillion caveats aside: let's talk about inclusivity in Borderlands 2. Let's talk about characters like Ellie.

Ellie specifically bucks against the stereotypes that all female video game characters must conform to mass-market definitions of beauty (not to mention, if I can digress for a moment, the fact that even our more conventionally attractive characters like Lilith and Maya still have infinitely more realistic proportions than most games).

Her look, concepted by Matias Tapia, is considerably more realistic than most female video game NPCs. She exists not as eye candy for some assumed type of (heterosexual, male, 18-27 year old) player, but as a character in and of herself – a character who finds herself beautiful, and refuses to be the butt of anyone’s joke. Ever.

Anyway, Borederlands 1 bored me to tears within a few hours. If Borederlands 2 has continued the decline by being both boring AND preachy, I"m glad I gave it a miss.

I actually like their idea - they've just executed it badly. In an action game, it makes sense to have the choice of a female character modeled on, say, a champion shotputter or discus thrower. Watch those events in the Olympics next time it's on - you'll see plenty of women that size (and they're fitter than you'd think - a guy I went to school with was the under-18 national shotput champion, and apparently it was standard for the shotputters and discus throwers to train with the sprinters 3-5 times a week, both to improve their muscle-to-fat ratio and because it would improve that little '3 step hop' you see them do before they throw the shotput/discuss).

The problem is the proportions. A female shotput/discuss champion has a lot less bulk around her midriff (not much muscle there), with it instead being spread around her thighs, shoulders and arms with a thick-but-not-fat core (technique-wise, they want to get as much of the power coming from their legs/core instead of their arms as they possibly can - just like in boxing). THAT would be a healthy and realistic representation of a woman with exceptional physical strength, without reducing her to eye-candy.

Basically the artist fails at biology. If they kept in mind where the major muscle groups are located, which muscle groups actually increase in size with use (not all muscles 'bulk' when trained), and which muscle groups are most useful for a strength-based athlete, it would work a lot better.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Anyway, to get back on Awor Szurkrarz's fantasy; rape fantasies are some of the most common sexual fantasies people have. It's not necessarily always just rape, though. Most people just enjoy the idea of being objectified and (ab)used for someone else's pleasure. Loads of people secretly harbor rape/abuse fantasies in varying degrees of extremity.

Project: Eternity
I like how original joke in dickwolves used rape to show value dissonance as pretty much everyone consider rape to be horrible. But some people are just to dense and they want to be offended so they can be victims.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Something about this inane drivel makes sense. Some games do need more graphics than others to be better. I find pretty lame nowadays to fire up an 3d PSX action game for example. Another example is vanilla DooM, that becomes almost irrelevant once brutal DooM got released.

Jashiin

Arcane
That's what it means to be a good artist. Just doing stuff at random and seeing what happens isn't artistry.

I completely disagree. Art can and may be as random as it gets. Something doesn't need to have meaning to be meaningful.

If an artist doesn't know what they are doing and can't control the outcome when they so choose or understand how they can manipulate their medium to get a desired response from, or communicate a certain idea or feeling to, the audience, they're likely not an artist, and definitely not a good one. They're a dilettante at play. Even Pollock had control of the form and his tools.

When is someone an artist ? Art is where definitions become meaningless. There are artists that create with a plan and perhaps even a specific response they are looking for. There are those who don't. To me one way of work has no more value than the other. Usually even when the work is explained by the artist it loses part of its magic.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Another example is vanilla DooM, that becomes almost irrelevant once brutal DooM got released.
:retarded:
Ok, so why should i get back to vanilla DooM, even tough i appreciatte Brutal Doom much more? Do you have an objective argument stating why vanilla doom is superior to the modded version?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another example is vanilla DooM, that becomes almost irrelevant once brutal DooM got released.
Ok, so why should i get back to vanilla DooM, even tough i appreciatte Brutal Doom much more? Do you have an objective argument stating why vanilla doom is superior to the modded version?
Objective argument? This is not academia, I just subjectively think that your taste is shit.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Objective argument? This is not academia, I just subjectively think that your taste is shit.
Why do you think Brutal Doom is shit?

Coriolanus

Learned

Broken balance compared to the original. Completely different flow. Flashy and cool, but nowhere near as much replay value.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Broken balance compared to the original. Flashy and cool, but nowhere near as much replay value.
And why do you think the shitty shotting in original Doom have some replay value? The base game is the same, only with improved graphix and some changes in shotting mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom