Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Can you recognize this person, Codex?

969448_10151648053358579_154644377_n.jpg
The_Mystery_of_the_Druids_Coverart.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think they were that self-aware considering all the ~problematic~ characters and dialogue. Even Mitsoda wrote and voiced himself as a total sleaze a female PC can have sex with.
You can satirize a gross nerd view of the world and still be sexist, also what @Night Goat said, seems like half the company didn't get the memo.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jennifer Hepler knows what side she's on: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/46...rassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

"Games cost much too much money to focus on a niche market," she said. "To survive, they need to be such a broadly popular part of entertainment culture that you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't play games. Women represent over 50 percent of the population, tend to be in charge of household finances, and are the majority purchasers of games (when factoring in games bought by women as gifts for husbands, children, friends, etc.). To indulge a community that is actively trying to alienate this powerful market segment (not to mention gay men, casual gamers of all types and anyone new to the hobby), is suicidal.

"It's important to listen to fans about what's important to them, but it's equally important to listen to people who are not currently gamers about why they aren't playing. Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry.

"I could go on and on about this, but I'm just going to consider one example: the word 'noob.' If you decide to take up almost any other hobby in the world, you can find beginning classes teaching you how to do it. If you want to knit, you can go to a yarn store and meet fellow knitters who will help you get the basics. If you want to play basketball, you can join a rec center or community league at a beginner level. And generally, the people already involved in those hobbies are thrilled to have someone with whom they can share their passion. But if you want to get started as a gamer, you get told, 'go home noob,' because people in this hobby hate newcomers so much they turned the word itself into an insult. How are we supposed to thrive as an industry if we are actively hostile to growing our audience?"

250px-Jennifer_Hepler.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Her words might make some semblance of sense if Bioware's pandering efforts actually increased sales at all. Instead DA2 sold much worse than the first game. Woohoo making money!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry.

What's the term to describe this?

You monsters, you liked things even though they weren't profitable! You should only like things that make money, that's the American way.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hardcore gamers want a product that is made specifically for them and is actively unfriendly to anyone new. They will beg and bully to get this product and then praise and wax nostalgic over any game that lives up to their standards even if the company that made it went bankrupt. They don't care about keeping companies in business or artists employed. Their only job as fans is to say what pleases them, and it would be foolish to expect them to think beyond that. But to cater to those desires without thinking about how to bring new audiences in and make them comfortable will ultimately result in a stagnant and money-losing industry.

You monsters, you liked things even though they weren't profitable! You should only like things that make money, that's the American way.

When I read that, it reminded me of something I wrote a while back.

You're seeing the reaction. Cuz Kickstarter is nice, but Kickstarted games will never employ hundreds or thousands of people. A gaming industry that caters to niches is a gaming industry where people like Jenny Hepler don't have a job.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane

When I read that, it reminded me of something I said a while back.

You're seeing the reaction. Cuz Kickstarter is nice, but Kickstarted games will never employ hundreds or thousands of people. A gaming industry that caters to niches is a gaming industry where people like Jenny Hepler don't have a job.

If I click the link do I get the answer why someone would ask a writer who isnt even good at her job about her opinion on gamedesign and how strong focus groups influence future cashflow?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
"Games cost much too much money to focus on a niche market," she said.

Bullshit. Games can focus on niche markets, if the developers and publishers don't waste money. Niche audiences don't need expensive voice actors, or ads that run every commercial break on every channel, or ads that take up half the screen on every mainstream gaming site. All we need is good games, and those don't have to cost much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

When I read that, it reminded me of something I said a while back.

If I click the link do I get the answer why someone would ask a writer who isnt even good at her job about her opinion on gamedesign and how strong focus groups influence future cashflow?

I think the idea is that she's explaining the motives of evil gamers who harass poor developers on Twitter.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"Games cost much too much money to focus on a niche market," she said.

Bullshit. Games can focus on niche markets, if the developers and publishers don't waste money. Niche audiences don't need expensive voice actors, or ads that run every commercial break on every channel, or ads that take up half the screen on every mainstream gaming site. All we need is good games, and those don't have to cost much.

What she meant to say was "game companies can't employ thousands of useless people and give us pinball in the break room and focus on niche markets."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom