Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Railworks: Train Simulator 2012

There is a game called Train Simulator 2012 and that's not the ridiculous bit. It features incredibly detailed trains for train spotters, real routes for people who hate the way games take them to fantastic new worlds and a full driving simulation for people who dream of a career so boring that real drivers fall asleep even when they know that will kill hundreds of people. Again, not the ridiculous bit.

100910.jpg

The ridiculous bit is that this is a game about simulating trains and you have to buy the trains. They're the whole point of a train simulator, if we didn't just blunt every needle in the world by using the word "point" like that, and they cost $20. Each. Railworks has already released over a thousand dollars worth of extra material (and now we've destroyed the economy by using the word "worth").

100908.jpg

From my understanding, Trainspotters are genuine Aspies.

Did the makers of this game know that the majority of people who would buy it are mentally handicapped? They'd have trouble making rational decisions when purchasing shit related to their obsessive hobbies?

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Dunno, I always thought it was pretty obvious you're not supposed to buy all the DLC, just your favorite train (you wouldn't be interested in a train simulator if you didn't know anything about trains, after all)

I thought there's a difference between being a train enthusiast and Trainspotting being a "special interest" for people with Aspergers.

This guy's "special interest" happens to be VCRs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eurogamer Spelunky PC review said:
I love this game, obviously, but I mentioned that there is one thing I would change. I don't like the damsel mechanic. There's a woman in a red dress in every level who you can transport to the exit to earn a kiss and an extra heart piece. You can also find her in seedy kissing booth shops, where you can buy another heart for a few thousand bucks. Spelunky lets you change the damsel to a guy or even a pug dog, but it still makes me uneasy. Innocently included, it feels out of place in a game that has so deeply understood and overcome many other mistakes that existed in the games from which it draws influence.

When I saw that the Damsel was interchangable in the XBOX version of Spelunky a few months back, I thought "cool, now nobody has a reason to complain anymore about sexism or gender roles in Spelunky".

There's always a special flower somewhere that needs to be stomped on...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I love this game, obviously, but I mentioned that there is one thing I would change. I don't like the damsel mechanic. There's a woman in a red dress in every level who you can transport to the exit to earn a kiss and an extra heart piece. You can also find her in seedy kissing booth shops, where you can buy another heart for a few thousand bucks. Spelunky lets you change the damsel to a guy or even a pug dog, but it still makes me uneasy. Innocently included, it feels out of place in a game that has so deeply understood and overcome many other mistakes that existed in the games from which it draws influence.

When I saw that the Damsel was interchangable in the XBOX version of Spelunky a few months back, I thought "cool, now nobody has a reason to complain anymore about sexism or gender roles in Spelunky".

Setting aside the fact that – if a female character is easily interchangeable with a dog then it's probably a pretty good indication that something is wrong – Merely providing an optional gender-swap is not a quick and easy fix, especially where stock character style damsels are concerned.
That said I don’t necessarily think equal opportunity damseling is the answer. Simply reversing the gender roles of a problematic convention so that more men are damsel’ed in more games is not the best long-term solution, even if the practice might be subversive in the short term to help demonstrate a very real gender disparity in the medium. Ultimately we need to think beyond the cliché altogether.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Roguey complaining about even more useless shit.

No big surprise there.

Coriolanus

Learned
I don't get it. When we see big muscly guys in games and movies, we (the guys) love it. Same with feminine chicks - they're sexy.

The only people who could honestly find a problem with that are sexually frustrated females and their conformist lackey bunch.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ultimately we need to think beyond the cliché altogether.
Yes, the bloody platformer needs a epic story-arch, that breaks all cliches and challenge the views of its audience, to provide REAL MOTIVATION for my character! Fuck PacMan, I can't play that, I don't know what I'm fighting for!

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I really wish people like that would just FOAD. So much drama over such petty things.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I really wish people like that would just FOAD. So much drama over such petty things.
better yet, there should be a minimum IQ requirement for procreation...

Then people will whine that the mentally handicapped have rights too, and forced sterilization is not the answer. Although, there is a compelling argument for preventing those not capable of rational, independent thought from breeding.

Dexter

Arcane

1376070841175hxawx.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom