Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
I don't think his argument is graphics. I think he is arguing that adding a third dimension movement-wise makes games better. Sure enough, I think I'd be hard pressed to say that Ninja Gaiden NES isn't less complex than Ninja Gaiden Xbox. Of course that doesn't work as a straight comparison as they are drastically different in ways other than simply 2D and 3D.

Note though that I'm not a proponent of his argument, simply trying to make sense of what he says.
Maybe. The thing is though, he doesn't bring up an argument about games that have better gameplay due to being in 3D instead of 2D. He specifically implied The Last of Us is better than any 2D 90s game. He said it excels at gameplay, compared to Chrono Trigger, simply because it's 3D(i.e. "better" graphics). Which is what I took a shot at. He didn't compare the games' mechanics/gameplay to show that 3D is beneficial. And above that, he brought up the whole "realism" argument. Which to me, implies he just wants as much graphics as possible and doesn't care about much else.

Don't know what to do with his starcraft argument, it seemed strange to me too.

Funnily enough he even specifically says OLD pokemons are outdated implying that new pokemon games are okay when as far as I know they just added that 3D perspective change which doesn't change the gameplay at all.
And that doesn't show that he just wants graphics, even if it's just going from 2D to 3D? Though now I see his link has Shadow of The Colossus at the top and his argument is even more strange. He just seems to be part of the "Anything old is bad/You just feel nostalgic" team.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think his argument is graphics. I think he is arguing that adding a third dimension movement-wise makes games better. Sure enough, I think I'd be hard pressed to say that Ninja Gaiden NES isn't less complex than Ninja Gaiden Xbox. Of course that doesn't work as a straight comparison as they are drastically different in ways other than simply 2D and 3D.

Note though that I'm not a proponent of his argument, simply trying to make sense of what he says.
Maybe. The thing is though, he doesn't bring up an argument about games that have better gameplay due to being in 3D instead of 2D. He specifically implied The Last of Us is better than any 2D 90s game. He said it excels at gameplay, compared to Chrono Trigger, simply because it's 3D(i.e. "better" graphics). Which is what I took a shot at. He didn't compare the games' mechanics/gameplay to show that 3D is beneficial. And above that, he brought up the whole "realism" argument. Which to me, implies he just wants as much graphics as possible and doesn't care about much else.

Don't know what to do with his starcraft argument, it seemed strange to me too.

Funnily enough he even specifically says OLD pokemons are outdated implying that new pokemon games are okay when as far as I know they just added that 3D perspective change which doesn't change the gameplay at all.
And that doesn't show that he just wants graphics, even if it's just going from 2D to 3D? Though now I see his link has Shadow of The Colossus at the top and his argument is even more strange. He just seems to be part of the "Anything old is bad/You just feel nostalgic" team.
I don't think his argument is entirely about graphics. I think he was saying since 3D more accurately represents the real world, that means it makes better games.

Delterius

Arcane
I always love the nostalgia argument - especially when its in the company of a very simple, if not shallow, fascination of technology.

I have a friend who really liked The Last of Us. He likes it for its story and even for its gameplay but especially about how 'it plays like a movie'. A popamoler through and through? Perhaps, but you know what? He doesn't actually think every game should be like The Last of Us.

Meanwhile, this little bastard equates games to, necessarily, a cinematic medium. Next thing you know, movies are superior to written media. I mean, pretty sure God never made use of a 2D medium.

<insert joke about a cinematic adaption of the Bible>

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"To be clear, im not cancelling FEZ II because some boorish f**k said something stupid," tweeted Fish. "im doing it to get out of games."

And he went on to add: "and im getting out of games because i choose not to put up with this abuse anymore."

I'm not saying it's because people say mean things about me, but it's because people say mean things about me. :lol:

I don't know who this whiny fuck is, but he's pretty entertaining.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Please name every 90s game that is better then Last of Us which isn't fuelled by nostalgia. Last of Us didn't just excel in cinematic, it excelled in gameplay as well

Story is average zombie apocalypse and the gameplay is average third-person cover shooter. :1/5:
Classic Resident Evil has better gameplay and on par story :smug:

Aw, Lesifoere account is protected now.

Good fucking riddance.
:troll: but seriously, what is your gripes with him?

Edit:
I'm not saying it's because people say mean things about me, but it's because people say mean things about me.
14008.jpg

I feel bad for pirating his game now. Just a collect a ton with rotating gimmick bullshit.

Delterius

Arcane
dnf

He's an asshole, but don't take it from me.

Kotaku defended him.

I mean, sure, Roguey's reasons probably involve more stalking and pseudo-intellectualism than that. Maybe he badmouthed Josh Sawyer during his sleep. But do you really need any more reason than that in order to hate someone?

xilo3z

Educated
Isn't he the asshat who mocked a japanese developer?

Good fucking riddance.

His main "asshole"ness came when said "Majority of Japanese games are shit".....which even Japanese devs were saying. One of the most acclaimed Japanese devs even issued a statement in response when asked-

Shinji Mikami -
I hadn't heard that! To be told that Japanese games suck is a bit harsh, but personally, 80% of the games I play at the moment are not Japanese. Skyrim, Batman... games like that are more interesting to me right now. Japan needs to make more good games if it wants people to think otherwise.

Far from "mocked", especially when, like i said, many Japanese agreed. This lead the internet to label him a xenophobic racist. No shit. He was bombarded with hate mail after that all attacking him personally, calling him a fag, ugly, go die, etc...which he then fucking went apeshit on everyone that attacked him. He handles criticism of his game fine, its people who attack him that make him go apeshit- well a little more than apeshit. And it just escalates. More hate, more comments.

Case in point today - the "AngRYGamER", Marcus Beer (who is some game journalist with some god knows company), does a video rant calling Fish and Jon Blow names for like 10 minutes... All because they said "no comment" when Beer went to them for a story. Fish has given him a few "no comments" before in the past, so Beer for the past year or so has been calling him names every day on twitter. Its pretty much harassment on Beer's part. This recent one put Beer over the edge, you see hes a GAEM JOUNALISTOUU, and you MUST give him priority! So that's why instead of tweeting attacks on them, he made his video dedicated to just attacking those two. The video is literally Beer just calling them names for minutes on minutes on minutes. Its... kinda bizarre.

Do I like him, nah not really. Just another "popular" indie dev. I don't get the hate though... People really attack Fish a fucking lot. And ya know, Fish did the smart thing, that I, and many others would have and said - "I'm rich, why do I deal with these idiot game journalists and the idiot world of games anymore? Bye".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But Beer is right, it's a two-way relationship. Fish somehow was blessed with insane amounts of hype and coverage that made his game a massive seller. The guys is in a position where he could play his cards well and be Notch v2.0, the highest point any indie dev can aspire to. Game journos were licking his feet, all he had to do was smile and wave... but instead, he goes full ego trip, because he's a very special snowflake, unable to realize his success had more to do with media Hype and that Indie Game movie than with the fucking game itself.

Of course, he's free to be a jerk and do whatever he pleases, but then be a fucking man and take on the consequences. The guy can say flat out to a japanese that all japanese games suck, but gets butthurt and ragequits when called a hipster? Fuck that loser.

Dexter

Arcane
His main "asshole"ness came when said "Majority of Japanese games are shit".....which even Japanese devs were saying. One of the most acclaimed Japanese devs even issued a statement in response when asked
Afaik there are many reasons to "hate" him or heavily dislike him.

Having seen Indie Game: The Movie that features him a lot: http://buy.indiegamethemovie.com/

Then he made various retarded comments regarding PC gaming (and obviously backtracked): http://www.nowgamer.com/features/950149/fez_interview_polytrons_phil_fish.html
“Fez is a console game, not a PC game,”
“It’s made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that’s part of the medium. I get so many comments shouting at me that I’m an idiot for not making a PC version. ‘You’d make so much more money! Can’t you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!’ Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It’s a console game on a console. End of story.”
Also said something about PCs being for spreadsheets and not games:
iuqj4.png

He didn't want to pay for a Patch after he broke his game and apparently caused Save corruption for a bunch of people because it would cost too much: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/358769/polytron-wont-pay-for-fez-patch/

There were various micro-trolls over the years, like this: http://venturebeat.com/2013/04/24/a...y-to-sell-games-insult-fans-and-raise-prices/

The "indie game hipster" crowd was also mad at him cause he subsequently won IGF (and a prize money) for a 2nd time after he had already won in 2008: http://www.shacknews.com/article/72777/fez-wins-igf-2012-grand-prize
http://nightmaremode.net/2012/03/opening-the-igfs-doors-17079/

According to Phil Fish, developer of Fez, the reason the IGF admitted the title for a second time was because it’s looking for legitimacy: it wants people to care about it. Fez, despite it’s near vaporware status, has been the biggest and the brightest indie hope for a number of years. It’s a title deserving of the grand prize; it’s why we weren’t surprised when it won. The thing is, legitimacy doesn’t come from the quality of the submitted materials. Or, rather, if Fez was submitted to prove the competition’s value to the wider world, it’s backfired: instead of “These are the best games”, it’s become, “We brought this game back down from the major leagues because we didn’t think anything else was good enough.”

He apparently won this by submitting his game after voting against Super Meat Boy being featured because it had an "XBLA Exclusive contract" even though his own game had the same contract:
http://www.formspring.me/Tommunism/q/307280112447925736
http://www.formspring.me/EdmundM/q/315327502144781236

He then continued to react smug:
phil-fish-tweet.jpg

etc.

Personally I went from not giving a shit to thinking he is a dick, to tacit endearment to thinking that he is an overtly big drama queen and might do a lot of it mainly for the sake of publicity, although I'm not excluding some sort of mental illness as the cause either.

Looking like the ultimate hipster probably doesn't do him any good either:
4-phil-fish-attacks__medium.jpg

At least he isn't a woman or transgender or whatnot or there'd be another "MISOGANAY!" shitstorm brewing and every one of these "gaming journalists" that are going after him for being a drama queen wouldn't have written about him being a dick in the first place or taken apart what he had to say, but instead analyzed his every comment to discover the hidden truths and written dozens of articles in his defense against the "horrible hordes of troglodytes": http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/...nice-things---the-jennifer-hepler-debate.aspx

la84I7s.jpg

Edit: LOL at some of the shit he spewed again:

Of course, he's free to be a jerk and do whatever he pleases, but then be a fucking man and take on the consequences. The guy can say flat out to a japanese that all japanese games suck, but gets butthurt and ragequits when called a hipster? Fuck that loser.
The majority of Wapanese games suck dude, he's right on that one.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
I don't think his argument is entirely about graphics. I think he was saying since 3D more accurately represents the real world, that means it makes better games.
[Intelligence]So he likes immersion and/or better representations(i.e. better graphics) of our world?
How does that change what I said? In fact that's what I'm saying. He equates 3D to better, without taking into account the gameplay, story or whatever else one could use to judge a game as good or bad.

Regardless, why do we continue talking about a guy that already got banned in neoGAF?

Here's a more relevant video:

Borelli

Arcane
I agree that there is a certain joy in playing games from a couch but man "PC are for spreadsheets"? Fuck that hipster.:x

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/28/the-sunday-papers-274/#comment-1313834

Rockstar’s games as closer to what I imagined roleplaying games would be like in the future, and are more focused on actually playing a role in a living world than any sort of jrpg this entire past generation which just seem to keep throwing a different magic system in every iteration and calling it day. Anytime someone tries to break from the old traditions and tropes and the fanboys go for the throat. And then everyone just shits on Rockstar too for not catering to awful lolrandom nerd humor and idiots who think running around beating people with dildos is the high point of gaming like saints row. LOL PURPLE SPACE SHIPS AND DILDOS BEST GAME EVERRRR DAY ONE PURCHASE THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN

I would like videogames more if it weren’t for everyone else who plays them.

I’ve been called dumb/stupid/insane several times after complaining about certain, rather huge features in Planescape: Torment, because P:T is perfect and you can’t criticize it.
Examples of GTA as role playing game are very accurate. I spent more time roleplaying in GTA: San Andreas or Minecraft than in every RPGs I’ve played.

Most of RPGs aren’t good places for roleplaying. First thing we should do it’s get rid off leveling. XP farming is anti-roleplay thing, because most of people will have tendency to optimize they XP gain, so they can have the most kickass character in the world. This means doing every little stupid quests and running after rabbits so they can get 1XP more.
Chosing initial set of statistic and skills that can be expanded only a little would prevent all these things so we could focus on actual roleplaying as series of choices made by our character that will define this character and have impact on world and NPCs. Without “OH YEAH, MY LOCKPICKING SKILL WENT UP FROM 67,8765% to 68,1264% SO NOW I CAN OPEN THIS CHEST”.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As opposed to the majority of western developers? We are fucking swimming on quality releases, right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As opposed to the majority of western developers? We are fucking swimming on quality releases, right?
Context
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ern-japanese-games-just-suck-explains-himself
Fish's impression of Japanese game development is that its rooted in tradition, that Japanese developers are wary of adapting.
"And that gives me the impression that a lot of games are very much stuck in the past," he said. "Here in the West — not saying that all Western games are better, because plenty are godawful — but there's more forward thinking right now in terms of tech, the kinds of pipelines that they use here."
"There's just nothing come out of Japan right now that pushes like an Assassin's Creed or Skyrim,"
He says it's games like the huge open world adventures of Skyrim and Fallout that fulfill the promise of classic Japanese video games, like The Legend of Zelda.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
It's just a pity most Gmod RP servers are filled with whiny bitches. I always played the cop and whenever I dispensed justice I got kicked from the server. Don't know why. Loitering and disrespecting the police by giving me funny glances are arrest-worthy crimes, in my opinion.

Outside of being a trolling cop, I don't really see the point of Gmod RP.

Delterius

Arcane
Far from "mocked", especially when, like i said, many Japanese agreed.

I don't understand your argument. Others agreed with his assessment later, true, that doesn't change the fact that he acted rather poorly.

I don't know where the hate train went afterwards, and this is the internet so the odds are it turned out retarded. But if Roguey's quote means anything is that he's still quite the idiot. Because Skyrim, as an action adventure game, is utterly shit when compared to any Zelda I played - if anything, even the quite overrated OoT demonstrates how Bethesda's chase of spectacle created an ocean with the depht of a puddle. Don't even get me started on Assassin's-the-retarded-guards-will-stop-attacking-if-you-are-low-on-health-Creed.

Of course, this doesn't really include the part where both western and eastern industries are generalized by their mainstream flagships (here, read as both games and genres). And how both sides are conservative as hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom