Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It isn't. DLC to the Indie Movie, technically it's more like Director's Cut. I didn't watched the original, and don't intend to. But it fits this thread perfectly.

Turjan

Arcane
It isn't. DLC to the Indie Movie, technically it's more like Director's Cut. I didn't watched the original, and don't intend to. But it fits this thread perfectly.
I actually have that movie in my Steam library, as it was part of an indie bundle once. I never watched it, though. Given the method of distribution, DLC isn't a completely out there concept. Not that I'd care.

Delterius

Arcane

Too bad, I expected something like

You guys should see some of the rest of that "list"...:http://m.oxm.co.uk/57106/features/the-100-most-important-people-in-games/

2. Eric Hirshberg, CEO, Activision Publishing
4. Don Mattrick, president, Interactive Entertainment Business, Microsoft
5. Phil Spencer, corporate vice president, Microsoft Studios
15. Tim Cook, CEO, Apple
19. Phil Harrison, corporate VP, Microsoft Studios EMEA
20. Robert Kotick, CEO, Activision Blizzard
21. Peter Moore, chief operating officer, EA
29. Steve Ballmer, CEO, Microsoft
32. Perry Chen, CEO, Kickstarter
34. Frank Gibeau, president, EA Labels
35. Marc Doyle, co-founder, Metacritic
57. J.J. Abrams, director
66. Emmett Shear, co-founder, Twitch
67. Leland Yee, California State senator
80. Meggan Scavio, general manager, Game Developers Conference
82. Casey Hudson, executive producer, BioWare
89. Christopher Nolan, director
94. Michael D. Gallagher, president and CEO, Entertainment Software Association
Notch is #3.:thumbsup:
At least he's not someone's CEO of marketing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This is utterly absurd and hilarious simultaneously.
Alpha Centauri is an example of a game that they just don't bother making for the post-90s generation because they can't be bothered with cerebral games. It alone provides more play-hours than your poo-poo platter combined.
Chrono Trigger is the unmatched paragon of RPG excellence that appeals to any fan of RPGs. Its game design, presentation, length, play options etc. win it new fans even in the most sophisticated of your generation.
StarCraft is unmatched in the RTS genre in terms of balance, fluidity, and longevity, despite your mewls of "teh cinematics1!". It has been an e-sport for 15 fucking years.

-----------

Alpha Centauri and Starcraft don't count cause they are undisputed masterpieces in their own genre and their genres both RTS and turned based strategy are very niche genres. Its like flight sims, one of the best and most popular is IL2 Sturmovik, a game released in 2001. These days are difficult to improve on and were already almost at the peak in their genres. These games should be left out of the discussion cause they weren't limited by their technology when they were developed as opposed to say 2D side scrollers. Nobody is gonna yell "NOSTALGIA" when you say you love Starcraft or CS or IL2.

What i am going to say below will probably considered blasphemy but im gonna start bashing games like Chrono Trigger cause i never owned a playstation 1 and i was never into JRPGs like Final Fantasy. All the rave about games like Chrono Trigger is purely nostalgia, if you ask any random person who never played it in the 90s to play the game they probably wont be raving about it as hard as someone who has played it when they were young on their playstation 1. Their response would probably be "Its good" or "its OK" because they are not influenced by nostalgia and the overall standard of games are much higher now.

It just doesn't make sense, how can a 2D side scrolling turn based japanese RPG be the GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME? In real life, we don't exist on a 2D world, its like how directors don't make movies in a 2D perspective, i mean why would Schindler's List be a better movie if it was in a 2D perspective? Or any film? It cant just cause its a 2D Side scrolling turn based RPG. its like how a fighting game can't be the greatest game of all time, and how the GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME list is dominated by heavy weight films such as The Godfather, 2001, Schindlers List etc. while romantic comedies and Michael Bay action movies are rare.
In the natural order of things as intended by god, 2D scrollers and fighting games are below games that are actually true-3D in terms of movement.

Originally Posted by 1upmuffin
The Last of Us is a great cinematic experience but as a game there are plenty of 90's games that are much better. Also I'd much rather play a game like UT1999 than Call of Duty 4, it's still a much more fun experience, and it wasn't a game I played growing up so nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

---------------
Please name every 90s game that is better then Last of Us which isn't fuelled by nostalgia. Last of Us didn't just excel in cinematic, it excelled in gameplay as well and Unreal Tournament is a great multiplayer series. my post was exaggerated and i realised i only hate games that are backwards and outdated by today standards like chrono trigger, old pokemons, pong, donkey kong, megaman which are all overated due to nostalgia. Not games like CS or Quake or Starcraft which should be enshrined and preserved for all future generations to experience.
http://www.codiekitty.com/File/Overrated/index.htm
You notice what they all have in common? almost every game is old, ugly, 2D and (probably) japanese.
And in case anyone thinks i only like new games, i hate Crysis, it boring, i think GTA is overated by stupid teens who like gangster stuff, they don't even finish the missions they just mess around shooting people which is repetitive especially in older ones like GTAIII. (GTAV might change that with all the side quest and fun activities you can do), Witcher series' combat is pretty bland, TF2 has dull gameplay, but not as dull as crysis, BIoshock 1 is overrated as HELL, Serious Sam sucks, Gordon Freeman is a crappy protagonist. But i should probably leave that in the controversial gaming opinions thread.

No link in case of "no links to the forbidden sites, maggot!". Or just type "nostalgia" on desugaf.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It just doesn't make sense, how can a 2D side scrolling turn based japanese RPG be the GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME? In real life, we don't exist on a 2D world, its like how directors don't make movies in a 2D perspective, i mean why would Schindler's List be a better movie if it was in a 2D perspective? Or any film? It cant just cause its a 2D Side scrolling turn based RPG. its like how a fighting game can't be the greatest game of all time, and how the GREATEST FILM OF ALL TIME list is dominated by heavy weight films such as The Godfather, 2001, Schindlers List etc. while romantic comedies and Michael Bay action movies are rare.
In the natural order of things as intended by god, 2D scrollers and fighting games are below games that are actually true-3D in terms of movement.

Love that ad-hominem :lol:

EDIT: Found the thread, seems the idiot who posted that got banned.
:incline: of NeoGAF

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's not an ad-hominem (attacking the person instead of the argument), it's a non-sequitur or just a false premise (the best game must accurately depict the real world).

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's not an ad-hominem (attacking the person instead of the argument), it's a non-sequitur or just a false premise (the best game must accurately depict the real world).

1. (of an argument or reaction) Arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
  2. Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain.
I was using the first definition.
But you're right, it was a poor choice of words.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014

:retarded:
Please name every 90s game that is better then Last of Us which isn't fuelled by nostalgia. Last of Us didn't just excel in cinematic, it excelled in gameplay as well and Unreal Tournament is a great multiplayer series. my post was exaggerated and i realised i only hate games that are backwards and outdated by today standards like chrono trigger, old pokemons, pong, donkey kong, megaman which are all overated due to nostalgia. Not games like CS or Quake or Starcraft which should be enshrined and preserved for all future generations to experience.
You notice what they all have in common? almost every game is old, ugly, 2D and (probably) japanese.
So gameplay is better simply because something has better AWESUME graphics?

Declinator

Arbiter

:retarded:
So gameplay is better simply because something has better AWESUME graphics?

I don't think his argument is graphics. I think he is arguing that adding a third dimension movement-wise makes games better. Sure enough, I think I'd be hard pressed to say that Ninja Gaiden NES isn't less complex than Ninja Gaiden Xbox. Of course that doesn't work as a straight comparison as they are drastically different in ways other than simply 2D and 3D.

Note though that I'm not a proponent of his argument, simply trying to make sense of what he says.

The problem here is that he thinks Starcraft is a proper game but then says Chrono Trigger and old Pokemon aren't. As far as I remember these games have similar kind of movement (i.e. you cannot jump but can move in any direction.) If he hadn't included Starcraft his argument would make more sense or alternatively if he had included Chrono Trigger and Pokemon his argument would make more sense. Now he just seems to be cherry picking.

Funnily enough he even specifically says OLD pokemons are outdated implying that new pokemon games are okay when as far as I know they just added that 3D perspective change which doesn't change the gameplay at all.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Aw, his account is protected now.

Good fucking riddance.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
vvyj6qF.png
Is it one of us :D ?

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
He looks like Andy Kaufman, I hope he suffers the same fate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom