Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
oDU29.jpg

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Quality pirate potato dubbing :lol:

Whoa, your pirates actually dubbed games and shit?

The only thing notable about pirated goods here is the covers. Everything just has large Mandarin characters on the cover, hiding Google Image stolen pictures. The actual thing will just have extremely poor subtitles. I'd kill for Potato dubbers for variety.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-22-leisure-suit-larry-reloaded-review

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded review
Why?

By Ellie Gibson

Published Friday, 19 July 2013

Version tested: PC

[...]

All this heart-stopping action is punctuated by text-based conversations with the game's female characters. Just like old times, the defence is that the joke is on Larry; he's constantly exposed as a buffoon, and therefore it's OK that all the women are sexist stereotypes with nothing intelligent or interesting to say, and either prostitutes or people offering sex in exchange for material goods. Which is a bit like punching someone in the face, then explaining that it's OK because your fly's undone.

For further evidence of the game's attitude to women, try playing the "Angry Broads" arcade machine in the convenience store, which features pigs in dresses waving feminist placards. Except you can't, because the narrator informs us the machine is "stuck in demo mode", i.e. no one bothered to make the mini-game. Probably too busy laughing at their own joke.

But really, it's hard to get offended by any of this. Protesting that a Leisure Suit Larry game is sexist is like complaining that a portrait drawn by a six-year-old is unflattering. Besides, better save that ire up for the racism. Guess what everyone? The black character in this game is a pimp! Meanwhile, the Asian character runs the convenience store! He sells condoms in a variety of sizes, including "Banana" and "African banana"! Jesus ****ing Christ. What's next? A puzzle that must be solved by using a blackface disguise to enter a rap studio? Oh wait, that was Leisure Suit Larry 5.

[...]

Score: 2/10

It is dangerous to go alone. Take this.

tumblr_mdi8u112lJ1qbnlji.png

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wasn't aware "Asian running a convenience store" was a stereotype unless you're referring to those Asians from the south.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wasn't aware "Asian running a convenience store" was a stereotype unless you're referring to those Asians from the south.

Sometimes you really have to dig deep when you've decided you're going to be offended by something, but the reality is fairly innocuous.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

DraQ

Arcane

Sometimes you really have to dig deep when you've decided you're going to be offended by something, but the reality is fairly innocuous.
I'm deeply offended by the existence of people who desperately seek stuff to be offended by.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I wonder how many points the game losed because of sexism and raycism. Is this game any good?

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
The funny thing about stereotype avoidance is how reality denying it is. So we get in the situation were is actually racist to state the most common traits of some people. Stereotype avoidance must ditate that our fiction must be based on exceptions, not the general rule, unless you are not a white male that is.

So it's actually ok to portray black person as a scientist rather than a low life pimp, never mind how rare a black scientist is and how common a nigger pimp is. Same with women, were every woman must be some badass warrior as capable as men or something, nevermind that such a thing don't exist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So it's actually ok to portray black person as a scientist rather than a low life pimp, never mind how rare a black scientist is and how common a nigger pimp is. Same with women, were every woman must be some badass warrior as capable as men or something, nevermind that such a thing don't exist.
A black pimp would be fine if the game had other black characters without negative characteristics, but apparently it doesn't..? Therefore, racist.

The idea that a character can be racist or not depending on completely unrelated characters is ludacris. It's like saying 1 = 1 only some of the time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Should the ratio be 1:1? Or maybe if we have one black professor, than there can be five pimps or thugs?
One token doesn't make up for the rest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom