Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Second Best Thread Ever (Part 3) [occasionally NSFW] [SJW ist verboten]

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Jaesun, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Click here and disable ads!
    If it made your experience richer and more intense, then why are you complaining? Gosh, you entitled kids are a bore.
    ^ Top  
  2. TheEntitledOne Arcane

TheEntitledOne
    please don't use the E word in the 'dex
    ^ Top  
  3. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    He does defend himself afterwards, albeit not in a satisfactory manner.

I thought that Gamasutra was the only good mainstream site left, it looks like it is starting to decline as well.
    ^ Top  
  4. hoopy Savant

hoopy
    Role-playing games are role-playing games because you role-play, and role-playing is defined as follows:

If games call themselves role-playing games but contain little or no role-playing, it is the games that are at fault.
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/04/the-sunday-papers-208/#comment-page-3

Scroll down a bit.

Even our old enemies at RPS were shocked by the imbecility of the article in question. Predictably, Kieron Gillen rode in to decree that the hoi polloi Just Don't Get It™. :lol:
    ^ Top  
  7. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    EVERYTHING IS OFFENSIVE

YEAH I AM YELLING WHAT OF IT? STOP STARING AT ME

WHAT THE FUCK LOOK AT ME WHEN I'M SPEAKING TO YOU
    ^ Top  
  8. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Wow. I guess the solution is the bar Colonialism as a setting in any video game, but then that would mean we are trying to bury the truth I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO :eek:
    ^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    You have to take every chance to apologize for what your people did centuries before you were born. It's the only way. Did you already shed a tear for the holocaust today?
    edit: oh god there's more​
    Personally, I avoid RPGs because goblinoids don't get XP from killing my party. Ugh, so demeaning.
    ^ Top  
  10. visions Augur

visions
    Tbh I didn't read anything like that in the article. Just wanking about "analyzing our depictions of natives" (doing so based on such game mechanics is quite dumb of course, and equivalent to what CK pointed out with rpgs and goblinoids), the usual overdone shit that is quite common in humanities. Issues (or "issues") like this are what these people write about, and are of course quite pointless (especially in this example), but nowhere is it implied in the article that such depictions should be banned.

It's just mental onanism.
    ^ Top  
  11. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Hah. So the thread I posted earlier lead to a goldmine after all:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/posts.php?discussion=13309358180A90920100&page=1

The good folks at TV tropes try to define what an RPG is. Can they come to a better conclusion than the codex? Do they come up with a definition that gets to the heart of what exactly is so appealing about RPGs? Let's find out:

Off to a great start already!

THANK YOU

GUYS OLD RPGS AREN'T ACTUALLY RPGS CAUSE I CAN'T LARP! MIND=BLOWN

I love the fact that he says having a predefined character means the game isn't an RPG...and then he says Mass Effect is an RPG.

What follows is a bunch of posts arguing over whether Mass Effect actually is an RPG or not before this definition pops up.

Well hey...that's not so bad. It's a pretty inclusive definition that's still well defined and doesn't use any of that nebulous 'roleplaying'. Do the others at TVT agree with them? Well, it gets lost in more arguments over Mass Effect (The Greatest RPG Ever) before the genius who posted the earlier post responds with:

Well...shit, that's that guys. The authority has spoken. Roleplaying games are about roleplaying...no matter how meaningless that word is- if you can stretch out a LARPing backstory it's an RPG.

THIS IS WHY I JOINED THE CODEX :x
    Crooked Bee and Marsal Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Shadow Scythe = possible Codex spy?

:bro:
    Marsal Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  13. anus_pounder Arcane

anus_pounder
    Shadow Scythe = Eric Schwartz = Sea ? I'm just guessing here.
    ^ Top  
  14. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    :lol: I must have missed that. I think he/she edited it in later. Must have finally flipped over everything that was said.

I've seen them post Sea's articles before in different threads though they don't take credit for it..it's a possibility.
    ^ Top  
  15. visions Augur

visions
    OH HEY I DECIDE WHETHER DOOMGUY SHOOTS FIRST AT THE IMPS OR THE CACODAEMON. You choose how to react to events in every fucking game. And in every game where you are manifested in the gameworld as an avatar or a party of avatars, you choose how your "character(s)" (ie: you) react to events.
    ^ Top  
  16. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    = Wizardry!
    ^ Top  
  17. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Could also be "Wizardry", from RPS. Somehow I get the feeling that using different aliases on different forums is his MO... :M

EDIT: Nice try, MMXI!
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron RPG Codex Staff Patron

Infinitron
    It's interesting how these biodrones have completely internalized the separation that modern Bioware games have placed between the 'fighting' bits and the 'talking' bits. They realize, probably subconsciously, that the fighting bits are just filler that doesn't matter, to the point where they don't probably don't think of them as part of the 'real' game at all. For them, going through combats is just a mechanical thing you have to do, like having to go to a menu and click 'Load Game' to load a game.
    And since only the conversation scenes are the 'real' game, that line of reasoning would probably be utterly weird to them. Combat isn't 'events', it's just a...uh....thing!

In short, as we say in these parts, they don't even know what they don't know.
    ^ Top  
  19. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    :what:

How did I miss this? No, not the Colonization stuff, but the RPG shit we've been talking about.

Interesting. So basically if he likes a game then he's fine with it being an RPG even if it isn't? Derp.

Rule-less RPGs? What do you buy? An empty set of books? Where are the Wikipedia entries for all these different rule-less systems? In fact, what differentiates all these rule-less systems? Derp.

If his character had only a single skill check during the course of the entire game, did most of his character's statistics even matter? He's basically saying that all forms of role-playing are RPGs. Derp.

Don't know what to say other than I pity this guy. Also, mondblut will fume at this post if he ever sees it. At least Wizardry points out that if it is a sub-genre of any of those then strategy would be the most fitting. Derp.

What? Roguelikes don't contain enough RPG elements to be considered RPGs yet Mass Effect does? Derp.

Ah. The age old "RPGs would be better without stats" argument. I wonder what this guy was saying in 1974 after reading about D&D. "This is really awesome, but imagine if I could play D&D without the D&D! It'd be like actual role-playing! Thanks Gygax!" Derp.

So a game with character development/customisation that allows you to play the game in different ways based on how you've defined them isn't an RPG, yet a "game" that is merely computerised role-playing is an RPG? So I guess to this cunt Sleep is Death is a better RPG than D&D because it doesn't have stats. Derp.

:mob:
    Crooked Bee Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  20. Admiral jimbob nope Patron

Admiral jimbob
    Wasteland 2
    look why are you still denying the whole you being Wizardry thing we do not have a "look but don't touch" rule like gay forums
    ^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    [​IMG]

pictured: classic rpg gameplay
    ^ Top  
  22. MMXI Prestigious Gentleman Prophet

MMXI
    But why would Wizardry post on here when he's got the fabulous Rock Paper Shotgun all to himself?
    ^ Top  
  23. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Oh wow that thread is getting pretty heated now. ShadowScythe/Sea continues to fight the good fight :salute:. I might wait and see how this resolves before I post the lulz.
    ^ Top  
  24. Unorus Janco Lurker

Unorus Janco
    I know it's old as shit, but...

:what: :what: :what: :what:
    ^ Top  
  25. Stinger Augur

Stinger
    Ok I don't think the thread's going anywhere now. It seems to have died down.

Let's see the stupid shit people say:

Character building is a stupid and archaic system. It's all about fucking as many companions as you can guys! This is true roleplaying.

ShadowScythe responds with some further explanation (and continues to put down Mass Effect) and gets told this:

Does anyone even fucking know what roleplaying is guys?

Anyway, the original genius (I believe his name is Tiamatty) returns for more:

ROLEPLAYING! :x

At this point even ShadowScythe is raging over all this talk of roleplaying:

:salute:

Dear god...Biodrones don't even care that the Mass Effects don't even have real choices as long as they have the illusion of choice. So basically fake choices = RPG?

Also fuck all those old games, stupid shit, why were they even called RPGs? There was no fake dialogue options!

A little bit unrelated but Tiamatty responds to someone else's post with this gem:

...God I really hate Bioware right now.

:lol: Poor guy's gone insane.

After a while the thread starts to die out with petty infighting over some other crap instead but ShadowScythe says one last thing that I found funny:

Sounds fine to me too. Interactive Drama it is.

There's plenty more derpy shit in that thread but most of it is unrelated and is the usual Biodrone nonsense of claiming story as far more relevant and gameplay & stats are archaic and stupid.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)