Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

pippin

2A8A910790D6202BD7A48FDE0EA49B35D2D5B2E2

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
mkmebt.jpg

u wot m8

ARxAtz.jpg

:troll:

Also, I love the art for Lore (tm)(c)(r) pieces in this game.

ykQFwv.jpg

SBZJ0F.jpg

cYT8KJ.jpg

OL5aMC.jpg

Those legends/stories/myths are all very cool too, actually. Obsidian should take notes from a bunch of random friggin Belorussians.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
7232b6760a7428ccdc6addc6ea819773.jpg

Heavy Metal Fakk 2. It was inevitable for Ritual to make the game with the Julie Strain fictional character named after her (see the easter egg room in Sin for the reference). The game has interesting dual wield weapon system, where we have separate left and right hand. Of course some of them are two big and we need to use both slots, but still there is some variation insterted. Although fighting with sword+weapon was the best, since we have a mini-fatalities where the enemies are beheaded after successful combo. There are platform segments, but they aren't very difficult, if you ever completed any Tomb Raider you will pass those segments without any sweat. The story is a typical "evil never sleeps" and from the peaceful beginning we quickly are shedding blood of the alien invaders. Cool art design, same goes for the enemies, shame there isn't more of them. As always Zac Belica as a sound engineer and musician shows his talent here, you can recognize some elements from the Sin soundtrack. Everything is polished and clicks like for the first time, but sadly the game is just too short and shows that Ritual had financial problems even then.

Worth your time if you are into TPP and somehow missed it. And of course if you like nice T&A as well.

Love this game, played the shit out of it back in the day. IMO, one of the best Quake 3 engine era games.

The game actually supports widescreen resolutions out of the box. Enable the console in options, then press ~ and type:
r_mode -1
r_customwidth 1920 (example)
r_customheight 1080 (example)
vid_restart

There's no HUD stretch or anything. But you will need to download a FOV patch if you want HOR+. Get it here.

Fun fact, one of the devs had actually been working on an expansion pack of sorts. He eventually released 3 standalone maps, which are excellent. Here's a video of this map pack, there's a download link in the description.

laclongquan

Arcane
7232b6760a7428ccdc6addc6ea819773.jpg

Heavy Metal Fakk 2. It was inevitable for Ritual to make the game with the Julie Strain fictional character named after her (see the easter egg room in Sin for the reference). The game has interesting dual wield weapon system, where we have separate left and right hand. Of course some of them are two big and we need to use both slots, but still there is some variation insterted. Although fighting with sword+weapon was the best, since we have a mini-fatalities where the enemies are beheaded after successful combo. There are platform segments, but they aren't very difficult, if you ever completed any Tomb Raider you will pass those segments without any sweat. The story is a typical "evil never sleeps" and from the peaceful beginning we quickly are shedding blood of the alien invaders. Cool art design, same goes for the enemies, shame there isn't more of them. As always Zac Belica as a sound engineer and musician shows his talent here, you can recognize some elements from the Sin soundtrack. Everything is polished and clicks like for the first time, but sadly the game is just too short and shows that Ritual had financial problems even then.

Worth your time if you are into TPP and somehow missed it. And of course if you like nice T&A as well.

3SZeUzV.jpg

8AHFBaX.png

xIkPx8s.png

YveyGY8.png

faRqnzg.png

CK9CKRB.png

eb90lsj.png

6Jqfciy.png

1salZoZ.png

BSOSMw3.png

OL0Jck6.png

KzNJlnf.png

4wS7MUT.png

Rh0dL9v.png

wAnVBJU.png

aP4kZr9.png

7hx0YHb.png

tmmVmEx.png

GbjNTM4.png

p6IKXs4.png

aZlrJ3c.png

oXNDzam.png
laclongquan

Thanks! That's very intriguing and I probabbly will try when my infrequent mood make me do some hack and slash. Note this down on Gamefaqs queue list

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Jewel of Arabia : Dreamers
W0AXEqi.png
yAhOJef.png

inMT7C3.png
Tfta23j.png
pCXHdq5.png
DXsFMtC.png
mZz9cZZ.png
vbG3bth.png
BTkAjf7.png
8Ppjqur.png
LsihRLY.png
JSzfCET.png
7gCrVzv.png
0mpq7Vt.png
k2Hv3ao.png
k589oV6.png
i8UtmaJ.png
NIADQs9.png
795Q623.png
Ob3ihvi.png
LppsZjh.png
Y9AfOjn.png
kNycshK.png
v3gmqTY.png
z2rwV8h.png
ygSkdro.png
QXSp9ws.png
gCVcGLx.png
Cl0I2lb.png
C735Gw1.png
hgscJ8I.png
XK8vN7G.png
obEgzpP.png
w8aYoaV.png
WwosfQd.png
WRhXaF6.png
69l4j5Y.png
rKsUyKe.png
MHxGcLq.png
V1eo123.png
7Lxz7w7.png
ToEMB5h.png

I completed the game, but I'll get back to it because there are many things I haven't done.

the world is basically fully open, most quests are optional but I couldn't tell exactly (you need to get a dream walking meditation from a temple keeper and I don't know what makes him decide to teach you).
It's an exploration game before anything else (with turn-based combat) and it mostly succeeds at that, sometimes you'll follow some river looking for a town and another time you'll roam freely into the desert looking for a point of interest.
You'll also spend a lot of times in caves.
In particular you're looking for 7 staff stones (each belonging to one race) which unlock a particular level of spells ; I only got the 4 first ones so I have got some remaining work to do.
I wouldn't say the world is big nor that it's compact, it's somewhere between. However the game is definitely long, and you'll spend a lot of time in combat.

The setting is not only a pretext, there's no trace of an elf or dward, you're travelling in deserts, fighting pirates and talking with sultans, djinns and snake charmers.
The main story is, for a big part, about dealing with dreamers who can't wake up.

Itemization is OK, the weapons lack of additional effects to damage, but for example heavy armors lower your agility and raise your water consumptions.
Weight is very important in the game, water is very heavy, then you need some food and there's not so much room left for everything you'd like to carry, especially heavy armors or weapons.
There are unique and/or strong items to find or earn, for example stones which reduce by half the mana needed to cast spells of a particular level.
There are some class limitations (sufis only wear robes and turbans).

Talking about classes, they are interesting. Sufis can't wear anything except very light stuff, no weapon, and can use enhancement spells and other spells like nightmares.
The hash-shashins fight with staffs, the prince is a basic warrior, with big movement and dodging and can wear any weapon (so scimitars and swords). The djinn cannot carry much and is a spellcaster with basic combat ability.
Regarding pets, the donkey and camel can logically carry a lot and are very valuable because of that, in particular when you're crossing the desert and your water quickly melts.

Dialogs are often interesting, and there are sometimes quests to unlock there.
There are connections with the real world, and some characters come from further places like Chi'in or speak about greek language or about the place where pharaos live ; you're limited to middle east in the game.

There are interesting little things which makes the world more alive. As examples :
You can choose to walk by night, reducing your water consumption but limited visibility is annoying (and you'll face more monsters but I'm not 100% sure).
In the desert after a battle you'll sometimes have to fight a second battles against vultures which smelled the blood odor.
The game use "grade" names for class levels, sometimes they sound weird but that's a feature I like.
Near the end you reach a djinn city, and a shop there only accepts the mana of your djinn as money (you pay with decreasing your djinn's mana maximum) and has strong items to sell.

Quests are not particularly inspired, what's cool is talking with the character and eventually get the quest but then you'll have to visit a cave you would have visit anyway to kill someone or search for something.
However a few like the story you directly enter into are cool. There's one boring sequence of quests around a hub where you must get back several times but once again it's very probably optional.
One annoying thing is that when you've done some relevant quest, a lot of dialogs are not modified so you're not always sure you've done everything you had to do or not.

Finally concerning the combat, it's nothing exceptional but it's fun, mostly because you have to manage your HPs, MPs, Stamina and meditation points.
Taking separately each encounter is not particularly good (but there's much worse out there), spellcasters or very poisonous monsters are cool, but there are not so many of them ; the boss battles are disappointing.

Overall I really liked the game, it was worth making the mac emulator run, it's not perfect but it's much more than just a cool setting.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And some more GK, 10/10. But I would've never found the piece of clay you can pickup on the lakeshore without looking it up. :negative:

PZLfPtY.jpg

AWfAy89.jpg

jbRzYTc.jpg

ISciLOC.jpg

GK20Ca7.jpg

VOb4Smj.jpg

oQ42uaF.jpg

jog3JrW.jpg

fbf7f2E.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom