Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Are you playing with hardware acceleration on?
Yes, I am. I never thought to try software mode. I did after reading your post but it unfortunately doesn't change much, and the little it does is for the worse since everything is a bit more pixelated. Too bad but it was worse a try. Then again, I'm an old fag from the days of monochrome screeens so the game looks good enough for me anyway.
Fair enough I just hate texture filtering blurring low resolution sprites after looking at hundreds of shitty GZdoom screenshots and consider unfiltered sprites and textures better looking for these games.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
.eJwNxsENwyAMAMBdGAATahBkgf6qrICAkkgBI3BeVXdP7nU_cY1TrGJn7nMFSMeMNJKcTCOULAtROXPox5SRKgTmEPeaG0_Q-HIGlV68R-XsM9BGWaetMg79gh6NgkRUr07tO0KLWcvt8xb_GytJJXs.1TG4RYqPghp4ac9x7MBdQHX6w0I

Fuck you, France

spekkio

Arcane
Resident Evil 0

2dugokh.jpg

:?

Now for the famous bonus content!

PekHAlz.jpg

XSyyPXE.jpg

Leech hunter turns out to be a boring collection minigame.
But how about Wesker mode, what new awesome things await us???

Well, Rebecca has new dress and red eyes:

W1Zc4yF.jpg

And Wesker replaces Billy, with zero new content except his moveset:

s9Y8VP4.jpg

720DxtD.jpg

k4jubEv.jpg

Well...

3a0.gif

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
pqogiy.jpg

I walked past her owner on the way to this place, don't even know how she got up there but she was stuck. I climbed and ran into her until she dropped from ledge. As soon as she hit the ground she sprinted away to the merchant.

Fallout: Animal Rescue

sser

Arcane
Developer
I reluctantly cede the coffee.

BFA04D580A96CCC4C2011128882AFDF331A70EFB

F5B91C8FE5BA4EC4E90E4CEE7027FEFFF9832C71

A few battles later...

87C20FEE07236FD69643DC79B0AAD3F2AEB1F465

Kicker here is making those crossroads largely impassable. I did that in the meeting engagements so by the time Panthers started arriving I had much better firing lanes to channel them into. A most prodigious Spitfire destroyed two Panthers in one pass on the NW side of the crossroads. Saved my ass. Biggest linchpin is the eastern wing of the building where the flame is shooting over. I've maintained control of that over a series of battles, ensuring the fights get tangled up in close quarters instead of fanning out into wider, long-range engagements I could never win.

Two companies have held the line here. I intended to bring in a bigger brigade for reinforcements, but the Germans beat me to the punch and attacked them first. Luckily that engagement looked like this:

D9059955FC0AB16498FE73E855647BE1B60E5BA1

Germans started in the bottom left corner of the map. Pretty much penned them in with fortified AT guns and fortified infantry squads. This battle actually ended in less than the 20seconds; you can see my mortars still 'aiming'. They never actually got a shot off. German tanks exploded instantly, they called for a truce, then a few seconds later they abandoned the field.

Tehdagah

Arcane

A few battles later...

Kicker here is making those crossroads largely impassable. I did that in the meeting engagements so by the time Panthers started arriving I had much better firing lanes to channel them into. A most prodigious Spitfire destroyed two Panthers in one pass on the NW side of the crossroads. Saved my ass. Biggest linchpin is the eastern wing of the building where the flame is shooting over. I've maintained control of that over a series of battles, ensuring the fights get tangled up in close quarters instead of fanning out into wider, long-range engagements I could never win.

Two companies have held the line here. I intended to bring in a bigger brigade for reinforcements, but the Germans beat me to the punch and attacked them first. Luckily that engagement looked like this:

Germans started in the bottom left corner of the map. Pretty much penned them in with fortified AT guns and fortified infantry squads. This battle actually ended in less than the 20seconds; you can see my mortars still 'aiming'. They never actually got a shot off. German tanks exploded instantly, they called for a truce, then a few seconds later they abandoned the field.
Name?

I think I played the demo of this game 18 years ago.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

A few battles later...

Name?

I think I played the demo of this game 18 years ago.
Its one of the Close Combat games. From the look of things it either one of the last official ones, or one of the Matrix games remakes.

If only the AI wasn't so dumb... And the pathfinding so retarded...

eXalted

Arcane
Yeah, this is not game for the sophisticated Codex taste but fuck it, I am enjoying every minute of it.

NqjYTvw.jpg

oRkGQiZ.jpg

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is it Panthers in the fog?
From the names of the places, it looks more like Normandy so it would be the newest one, Close Combat: Gateway to Caen.

Correct. Got it and a bunch of other Matrix games for about $5 in a bundle couple months ago.

AI still retarded? Constantly making those suicide attacks?

Eh, somewhat. The attacking infantry AI seems improved, but the last time I got into CC was in the original generations so I dunno what leaps there are in the between remakes Matrix pushed out in recent years. The infantry AI appears better able to proportion its forces instead of clumping them up for .30-cal fodder. If I were to guess, the AI has better 'zoning' where it groups units into categories that stick close to one another. This definitely gives it a better feel of staggering its attacks by holding reserves. When the AI flanks, it can be aggressive and a lot to put up with. At the same time, it seems easily 'tricked' (often unwittingly by the player) into attacking certain objectives instead of moving around them. For example, I only got flanked when I personally took a northern objective, causing the AI to pursue the northern objective in counter-attacks before circling around. Otherwise it never took that path. The bigger problem seems to be pathfinding for tanks which has, shockingly, shown literally zero improvement from the very first Close Combat. I as the player have difficulty with the tanks and if I do, you know the AI is sure as fuck fumbling about with those controls. This in turn leads to a lot of 'pileups' of enemy vehicles which in turn is essentially broken AI. Basically, yes, the AI is still more or less bad with the occasional flare of decency.

Regardless, CC is always better experienced as the attacker which is why I think the stressful, time-based Allied campaign of ABTF is the best the series ever got.

Anyway, it's more or less the same CC. Caen is definitely the 'prettiest' in the series, though, with a transition to very sharp 32-bit graphics. The explosions are excellently drawn and the artwork is very nice in general. A shame the series never really moved off the 'theaters' it stuck to. Pacific Theater would've been great, or a Vietnam game (a Vietnam mod I played for CCIII was beyond excellent and that was ages ago). I paid $5 for Caen and a ton of others games, IIRC. I would've been pissed if I paid any more. The idea of doling out $30 or $40 for another CC reprint is just insanity to me. The series is ostensibly moving into 3D, but Matrix keeps pushing off the reveals. Seems they're having some real technical troubles with it.

A horse of course

Rise of the Triad 2013

Not even worth the fiver it cost on sale. There are a few deathmatch and singleplayer user maps but the game is fundamentally shit so what's the point.

d6AzGgq.jpg
dysxkNq.jpg
n0QKSqY.jpg
rcomFoh.jpg
bTfgbLw.jpg
lpeiyVp.jpg
McYMZSS.jpg
d8044ex.jpg
0O0TDc1.jpg
iGrVwE3.jpg
dSeFZ3E.jpg
00m3N1d.jpg
hiukaKT.jpg
DvBNozQ.jpg
CUDMbpI.jpg
jOQhDJR.jpg
rbIJMFE.jpg
2aGZrAu.jpg
IW473ai.jpg
0cl2sCD.jpg
DxUSXe8.jpg
kPKdjvr.jpg
9sNc88k.jpg
qsGeuvy.jpg
0FUR2ui.jpg
bxyn53w.jpg
PBsa0Z5.jpg
EJQ38K0.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom