Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Texas Chain Saw Massacre 1st playthrough.
CDE10541948D261D1279A656D86BEEDCD810EC2D

FDEF9C4AC0327D1771494E6334F27F43415755ED

FE2212D5F1FE2E4BC1120A3BFA9BD498A5BE2714

Baron Dupek

Arcane
sup Drog

A468B28D8C313D2B4CD4BBC45E1659CA9C7C4ACC

I like my women hard
working
0699AC985286B8B2BB1EF221AF7AEC58004A795D

What, you don't fancy slow, toxic death?

I met imps from Codex
They were not worth that much XP

Last edited:

A horse of course

Tomb Raider III
Adventures of LARA CROFT (1998)

Though Tomb Raider III tries to capture some of globe-trotting exoticism of the original title, it's very much the child of the second game rather than a return to the series' roots. After the opening levels, Lara can use a new geoscape interface to select from several locations around the world in her hunt for ancient meteorite fragments, concluding with a trip to Antarctica and a buried prehistoric city. Controls are virtually identical to previous entries - including the agonizingly slow climbing and hanging animations - aside from, as far as I could tell, slightly more lenient frame cancelling. Two minor additions are a sprint button and the ability to duck and crawl. Whilst the latter does open up some interesting possibilities for level design and interconnectivity, sprinting is only useful in a handful of situations. A somewhat aggravating side effect of these additions is the removal of the sidestep keys, meaning that side-stepping now requires holding down the walk button and directional keys - preventing the player from turning left and right whilst that button is held down. Controllable vehicles from Tomb Raider II return, ranging from passable (the motorboat) to infuriating (the quad bike in India). Combat encounters are roughly as frequent as TR2, albeit with more of a balance between gun-wielding foes and dangerous wildlife (natural or otherwise), and most chapters end with a boss fight in which you'll probably die several times until you figure out each fight's unique mechanics.

As with Tomb Raider II, my biggest issue isn't the painful controls or the raw length of certain maps, but the sheer maliciousness of pitfall and trap placement in the game. Every time you plummet into the void, impale yourself on barely-perceptible barbed wire, drown, burst into flame or freeze beneath icy waters, there's a palpable sense of spiteful glee on the part of the designers. There are countless sections of the game that were either never playtested by anyone without prior knowledge of what was coming, or were created with the specific intent of brutally murdering players over and over again until they understood what to do, where to go, and which moves to use from the instant they enter a room. Similarly draining is backtracking through the same traps and platforming areas after you inevitably miss a key drop or obscure item from earlier in the level. There's also a severe lack of consistency in how much assistance the game gives you in figuring out your next move. In some levels, every switch you flip will trigger a cutscene showing a door opening or platform moving. In others, it's up to the player to figure out what a lever did - and there's a good chance the door it opened is from an area you last visited 45 minutes ago. The general difficulty of the game is similarly uneven, with the first two maps of the final chapter probably the easiest and least complicated of the entire game.

With all this in mind, I did enjoy the game a little more than its predecessor. Music is used even more effectively than the previous two titles in establishing atmosphere or marking a change in tone, from sparking action sequences to capping off a particularly arduous platforming segment - though it helps that Tomb Raider 3 has the convenience of recyling a lot of tracks and sound effects from earlier games. Voice acting for everyone was more than adequate, and I'm quite fond of the unnamed thespian playing Mark Willard - who does a remarkable job of hinting at the soulless barbarity that festers in the heart of every Scotsman - plus the charming racism of whoever played the South Pacific cannibals. Environments are generally creative and varied, lighting and particle effects improved, and Lara's wetsuit is commendably flattering to her derrière.

Tomb Raider 3 is a convenient place to take a small break from the franchise, with composer Nathan McCree, and Judith Gibbins - Lara's second voice actor - departing the series. The next three Tomb Raider entries, though technically a continuation of the first trilogy, should arguably be considered as distinct in both narrative and mechanics. Since the first game, Core Design had been obliged to churn out a new Tomb Raider title every year, and by the time they'd finished TR3, many of the devs had reached their limits due to the endless crunch time and separation from their families. By the time the team was thrown onto a fourth game, the intent was reportedly to end the series for good, and the final three installments of the "classic" series were all heavily influenced by both this decision and behind-the-scenes corporate politics that culminated in the disastrous Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness. Once I've settled into my new job, I'll think about doing a marathon of Core Design's final Tomb Raider games.

MkIbi2z.jpg
cQM7GLt.jpg
kDerwP7.jpg
WpJaQcu.jpg
8ZdtaNU.jpg
jqJKiHy.jpg
ffQHbo4.jpg
LQhHu4u.jpg
TWUT9ga.jpg
WoSUQiZ.jpg
5PzXdlt.jpg
f1o8arc.jpg
1EcsRrS.jpg
5vF6kxZ.jpg
AHNwcQ5.jpg
bUO7TA2.jpg
dMfOZfl.jpg
5LZhlal.jpg
L0I50l7.jpg
SQ6msw4.jpg
Ltb3ZvG.jpg
1AtilMr.jpg
kS9p90p.jpg
hzGku6w.jpg
REciT4d.jpg
Jj8cyd8.jpg
WeWIvwb.jpg
uWvWKqw.jpg
ep4fjVM.jpg
aG7IC6B.jpg
XjnxUN4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

A horse of course

disastrous Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.
First half of the game is well worth playing. There are some cool levels mostly ruined by disastrous controls. It's likely more fun to play on cucksole.

I meant it in the sense that it basically destroyed Core (though Eidos were allegedly trying to stab them in the back for years, including concealing the fact CD were working on Tomb Raider: Anniversary whilst Core were working on the same thing for psp). I have no idea how good or bad it is yet. I mean:

Significantly, Heath-Smith had to present the game at a buyers’ conference several months before the game was released. It was an agonising experience both for the man himself and those attending. ”It was the worst opening level to any game,” an anonymous source tells Edge. “I had to sit through Jeremy Heath-Smith cursing through it while attempting to get Lara on top of a bin. It was unusual behaviour at a buyers’ conference to say the least.”

has been my experience with pretty much all the classic games so far anyway.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gigantic Army

I remember someone made a thread in gg about this game, and it catched my interest. Since there was a promo on steam, it was time to try it.
You are a pilot of a robot, and before the whole campaign you choose from 3 different main weapons and supportive heavy ones. You can power them up by grabbing the boosters that you will find among other necessary items. One thing that is really crucial to remember, and I learn it the hard way, that you will need to move fast through levels. Time is more lethal on easy and normal difficulties than most foes that you need to defeat. Fortunatelly you will find it scattered too, with some tiny optional paths when you find more of it. Just add to this the health replenishers and we are set to go. You will also have a destructible shield, which will help to avoid some nasty projectiles. Plus the jetpack, when you need to move vertically or to avoid guided missiles.

The title "Gigantic Army" has a nice touch to it once you start fighting with the bosses. They aren't so hard compared to the japanese hell shooters, but still you need be focused on their attack paterns and avoid damage. Because most of the time the boss wasn't really a boss but "only" the apperitif before the main dish. Graphics are really good, feels similar to those seen in arcade games from the first half of 90's. I was dissapointed by music though. If you played all the hot MAME titles 7 times already and want to try something new, but old at the same time I can recommend Gigantic Army.

C3C86971BFE8B94A5695F9995E9A04068B90B3BF

A0AECD76C22E33E9C2815A4981FC774E737C0D65

61ADF44B1ABF2729CC921A085010B46DE5BA9417

613DE0B2FAF89A2FB9D3F3586D09D562EE1BA2BE

DFEF32277C17A038D7293E8EC8667382A5315C0B

1EFA7CE3F8285A882DA1D1EDC7A933CCBC5B3CED

2F901BE5A9F86DE09B2C1A64285D8C4277F721E1

One Must Fall 2097

I remember the shareware version that was included in one of many CD bundles when the drives where coming on the domestic potato market. I had to try the full version after so many years to confront that memories. Well, it started great as always with the main theme.

This brings great memories as always.

The story mode where you choose premade pilots and robots its a good starter if you want to get accustomed with the controls and flow of the fights. It's nice, the fights can be really tough, because AI is really unforgiving when it comes to higher difficulty levels. But something is missing. After defeating Nova who is the first and only boss in the game I felt dissapointment. The game just ends so quickly, and the plot with the evil corporation W.A.R (lulz) it's not worth mentioning. But, there is a tournament play. I've started with a robust Jaguar and a guy with average stats. You get some money on start and you have to pull higher in the different tournaments. North America is the most easy and a good booster for your morale. Because when you will try to move onward, you will challenge many guys who didn't appeared in story mode.

The beauty of this mode lies in the fact, that even if you loose you are still in the game. Of course if you have money for repairs. The grumpy old mechanic will always have some tough words for you when you see how much the robot has been damaged. That's right, your robot isn't indestructible and it is always maintained after the fight. And the more vitality is left, the more credits you will earn at the end. Oh, and there is only one round.

You customize your robot, change his colours of armor, give give more armor/legs/arms/etc. levels and boost your pilot. Once you hit the jackpot and start winning you will feel the huge difference from where you started. After 90 fights on my account, the piloted Jaguar was a killing machine, making 5 combos without any problems and could chain even more due to the secret moves. And the AI can still surprise even after so many fights. The hazardous stages when you have too look out for the airplanes or you can toss them at the electrified net makes them even more interesting. Tournament mode is really addictive and great. That is the OMF 2097 was meant to be played.

Great music and graphics are still present, I like those early titles published by Epic Megagames. They really knew how to find a good game among many others.

Wy46mVE.png

YoCDt9N.png

uqJAS97.png

zZEURSD.png

2xpVwFF.png

NhHD2ia.png

Armored Warriors

One of the arcade titles made by Capcom that is now a little less known compared to Cadillacs & Dinosaurs or Punisher and Captain Commando. I think it was made by the same team as Alien Versus Predator because of some graphics similarities. Nevertheless it's a great game where you operate a giant robot and beat everything when you move onward. The most excellent future is that your machine is fully moddable. You don't want those pesky legs but a cool motorizes and deadly while in-air tank like system ? No problem, just kill a robot that has got it and take it. Same goes for weapons (melee and shooting ones). My favourite is laser saber that can cut enemies in half and the grabbing arm which takes a poor fellow and bashes him to the grounds while bringing some damage to anyone who is near him. There is more, but I won't spoil it for you.

41kLPbX.jpg

872JwmP.jpg

3V3O0Zj.jpg

CfN1VHc.jpg

JmOBj99.jpg

fvCuSww.jpg

k55KfSN.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Leg90A.jpg

off to a good start

AnKdAn.jpg

good start indeed

JrjI5e.jpg

finally some dark dunjins

L7cK03.jpg

interestung physix

KlpX1p.jpg

there was another elastic-necked skaven here but i guess he was camera shy

MAe9Gt.jpg

run run run run away

HxJuol.jpg

CLOSE DAT DOOR ALREADY YOU TARD

4mIV6e.jpg

fukken cliprats, mang

QpUKzN.jpg

why did i even take this pic

3rCKQ7.jpg

goddamn herostratus can't even jump down properly :negative:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
E5FA7BB2CCF468415DBA018D37D6C93C71DE1FF1

chillout after fight

7153EC50D05B3EEC54D155E128E7C2E7DFA1DFA7

poisoned spider? wut
3q2NlZA.png

BBC22BA8C9D336D667778C68E53A8481273DFC38

20F75E93465A3D6F594CDFF8E1038F29B16A5E4A

cool
*insert youarealreadydead.bmp here*
0BB417DF8B8C8419DCF201DE5CD1CFAEC3477704
no screencaps from final fight because game crashed few times because my spells (curses, lowering resistances and other debuffs) worked too good, thanks Sven

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I died horribly. Actually managed to scare him off with the flare the first time but that second time I aimed high, the flare flew over the bear's head and he mauled me.

Edit: Still by far the best open world survival game. Unlike other such games the world feels hand crafted (which I suppose could become a fault if I were to play it enough that I memorized every location, but item placement is random and I'd have to play a ton before I got to that level of memorization) and the atmosphere is somehow comfortable while also being pervasively hostile. The bear thing is part of the new challenge mode, which puts you into certain scripted scenarios, such as avoiding a bear that is stalking you (until you can find a gun powerful enough to kill it) or trying to find a signal flare to call for possible help (in the bear one you find the signal flare right away but in said other scenario the signal flare would be hidden in some distant location).

Last edited:

HansDampf

Arcane
AM2R

E6FP044.png

1atHc7T.png

H44ZjZG.png

Spiderball is slow af, but becomes obsolete later on.

TSgKyJE.png

This is still a thing.

SjGwmZE.png

Fuck those guys!

0WKpZKH.png

And this guy in particular.

Bb9d9Q8.png

Time of day changes as you progress.

Seems like a faithful remake of Metroid 2, but I'm getting bored relatively quickly. M2 didn't have the best level design in the series. And those Metroids can be really annoying. Sometimes I waste 50 missiles on them and everything misses by one pixel, other times the fight is over in 10 seconds.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At the very least, I think AM2R is the best kind of remake you would get for it. It's good for people who wanted to play Metroid 2, just not Metroid 2 on the Game Boy.

Riskbreaker

(GZ)Doom 2, "Darkmoon"
784CA81F7EF3E643D4126CD5220B24BBC2BFF61E

B42BA2E1C3A3D039E32E0C308498D1403309071B

919174C795D9CB06FE0A8C32543575BCB1D1978C

C18C31996AC4DF42F463B0399DC2ED3C3E54C895

C8B9B35CE93087D6828AC6DB5A463D6E96E48D82

05422845C5B9F2216635F839FF22FA75880F1B73

5FD1EE9046C676C2A391E9278F665AEE693911A6

C5D08649776EE6FB6E850D793396B3AE449C0E9B

52DD1210CF9E9E958E49AFD9EEF2DB9AD1E82AA9

95A3E46390DDDE0705F8B657D391B4BE49094602

A1F873DD4097AE8AFA3B8FA8665932023E242092

E1EEFB5DDA2F9803B272CCAA3893F32915DB9D6B

DCF0917F0A371614836E7155D4ABF1DF969CFE27

4E6E64925E693A7C7F2874D670963C3697D1B49B

DraQ
Do you, perchance, notice anything... objectionable... on the above screenshots?:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom