Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

DeepOcean

Arcane
QjZpITL.jpg
How are you playing Fallout 4 before everybody?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This game is not realistic at all.
Potato roads looks like these
dsc_9221.jpg
blog_ls_3672864_7245398_tr_polskie_drogi.jpg

FFS I demand mods to fix this incoherence. :rpgcodex:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Warmachine: Tactics. Adapted from the table-top game. Decently faithful adaptation. Really shitty missions and AI. I do not recommend it.

That said, I'm gonna play a mission now (might as well finish the campaign amirite).

It'll probably be better when (if) they make the other campaigns with the other factions, because Cygnar is the gayest faction ever. I just want to play Menoth (Spanish Inquisition mixed with Muslims).

M0RBUS

Augur
I must give Arx Fatalis another try!
There's a great Let's Play series on youtube by a german girl called LythaJuliania. It's a pretty great alternative if you don't want to suffer through the bugs and annoying things in the game. She knows her way around the game.

A horse of course

Undying could use a remake

as a Bioshock game :smug:

I remember some cool custom levels for Undying, including one in which the modder went absolutely apeshit with reflective surfaces and made the level impossible to play without a supercomputer.

A horse of course

I really need to play Undying. It's one of the few older FPS's I think I would really like.

It turns to shit, but it's definitely worth playing. The early sections were scary as hell when it was first released.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must give Arx Fatalis another try!
There's a great Let's Play series on youtube by a german girl called LythaJuliania. It's a pretty great alternative if you don't want to suffer through the bugs and annoying things in the game. She knows her way around the game.

nah, I don't watch/read LP. Either I play a game or I do not, but watching others play games is boring to me, regardless whether the game itself is interesting or not.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Clive Barker's Undying is a peculiar game. In my very modest opinion it's a flawed gem, with a ton of interesting ideas, brought down by a simple not easily solvable problem.

Why Undying could have been good? Setting is nice and almost well-written. "Plot" is serviceable, the levels are atmospheric and the first levels are rather unnerving (particularly the underground cellars with low-light conditions and Howlers). Enemies are theoretically varied and in many cases fun to fight, Bosses are not bad. The "different dimension shows different things" gimmick is very nice. Time travel is done well as a plot point. Oneiros is a very nice take on Xen-like levels.

Graphics are serviceable for their era, and in many cases are even nice, particularly the texture work. Sound design is quite good, with creepy sound effects and a effective soundrack (I don't remember if it was re-used or if Undying copied the soundtrack of something else, I'm too old). Weapons are imaginative and the combo system is kinda interesting (you can use guns with different kind of bullets and a very interesting magic system. It would have been qualified as an RPG by contemporary gaming media :lol:).

So, my man, graphics are "good", sound design is very good, atmosphere and "plot" are well-written, gameplay elements could have been great (enemies, weapons). Why Undying is mediocre at best?

Bar the initial levels and some rare strokes of adequate, the level design and the pacing are horrendous. It's like they ran out of money after developing the basics and the first third of the game. You spend a ton of time in the first "act", hunting down the first Boss (the white-dressed lady) and fighting Howlers, HtH enemies. There is occasionally some variety, but after a while you are sick of 'em. Then, the level design gets even worse. You can perceive the fact that they cut , cut and cut and re-employed resources in a desperate attempt to build something working. The other Bosses/siblings are found and fought much faster than the first one, (the Pirate brother is fought in a nondescript room after it teleports in in a cutscene!).

Then, it becomes painful to play. The ending levels (Eternal Autumn or something) are drivel, utterly annoying and badly designed. I liked the end boss, but that's me. Maybe because it was FUCK THE PAIN AWAY IT IS OVER

Still better that Jericho.

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
Here you go:

-The hit detection is fucking atrocious.

-The camera shake when you get hit is fucking retarded, it's so bad that sometimes I end up looking up or down and ninety degrees to left or right.

-Enemies that spawn out of my ass. Whether it's some burrowing cthulu worm, a howler or a fucking bandit, enemies just appear out of fucking nowhere and end up behind you. At one point I entered a room with a folding screen. I saw some supplies on a cabinet, but I wanted to see if there was some shit behind the screen. I walked around it, nothing there. I took the shit on the cabinet went to leave and got blasted with a shotgun. Apparently, 3 fuckers were hiding behind the fucking screen. O_o

-The semi-open relatively large levels combined with zero hand holding results in you wandering around searching every crack while holding a chunk of kryptonite in your hand just to find out where the fuck you're going.

-A specific problem in this game is the inexplicably locking and unlocking doors. Somehow killing some eastern bandits in the garden opens up another door in the kitchen.

*I was hoarding amplifiers so this point might be partially due to me fucking up.
-On nightmare you receive a lot of damage, combine this with point one and two and you get real shit soup.
In the beginning parts of the game I burned through my pistol ammo and medkits like they were nothing. The difficulty becomes more manageable after getting the dragon head cannon since you have a weapon that actually does damage and you have ammo for, the shotgun does that too, and then the scythe. But! One thing makes the game piss fucking easy. Shield. After I got this item I immediately amplified it to max, and now I'm basically untouchable. Before, I was running around with 30 health and no medkits or ammo and it took me fuckton of hits to kill anything. Now, I have around 40 or 50 medkits, almost max ammo for every gun ( I'm yet to unlock one or two) and I kill things with either 1-4 hits, either scythe slashes or shotgun blasts. I also have around 10 or 13 amplifiers just because I don't see a reason to use them. It's much more of a hassle to change spell cast and return to the shield when you need it, fuck it! Just hit the fucker with a scythe a few more times and reshield.

- I could somewhat forgive all that if the combat was fun, but it's not. Every offensive action is either slow and powerful or not as slow but completely anemic. I'm really having a hard time enjoying a shotgun in a game when I blast someone point blank in the head and he doesn't die, and just to add insult to injury you then proceed to do a 2 second reload. The scythe is the only weapon that is fun to use and even it is kinda shitty. I have no problem with windup and recovery animation, animation being the key word. This scythe just disappears off the screen and then it returns after a while.

- Damage on nightmare is fucking stupid sometimes. For instance, the shaman dudes in the last level drop me in a single lightning hit, at least I think it's lightning. One moment I'm at 85 HP next I'm watching an unskippable execution animation. Speaking of which...

- Execution animations suck. I get it I'm dead. Why do I have to sit there and watch a 10-20 second sequence in which the PC gets brutalized? This applies to a degree to regular death as well. why do I have to wait 10 seconds before the game reloads the checkpoint? What is the point of having a quick load if I can't use it when I want it most?

- Vision effects. Haste, scrye, and shield get in the fucking way. When I was in the rain I used all three since scrye cancels all other visual effects, so instead of dealing with three interfering effects you are only dealing with one.

- The game gets much more enjoyable whenever there are no howlers. The flying melee guys are annoying as well, but at least they are flying at you so it makes sense for them to change their trajectory. Howlers just curve and fly at you mid jump.

- The final boss sucks. The bosses in this game are nothing special but the final guy is a fucking tank. His second phase is the easier one, he literally gets stun locked if you aren't completely shit. He has way too much health, I almost went and looked at a faq because I couldn't tell if I was doing anything. He gives you a reaction when you damage him, sure, but I had to repeat the process so many times that I started to question whether there's a hidden vulnerability spot that you have to exploit.

- The story doesn't work. It's supposed to be a Lovecraftian tale i.e. the horrors are caused by aliens or interdimensional creatures. Well, why am I supposed to be scared of them if I effortlessly kill every single thing I encounter while they literally, literally, can't hurt me.

- The game is kinda short. If I was to replay it now that I'm familiar with it I'd probably beat it in a couple of hours.

- The ending is completely not cliche and is very surprising. Since you can't see my face or hear the inflection in my voice I'll just go ahead and state that this is a sarcastic comment. If you think you know where the story is going you are probably right.

Dayyālu

Arcane
You have played it far more recently than me, but aye, I agree with everything you say. Bar the plot part, it's rather obvious that it's rather difficult to develop a proper Lovecraftian game, and Undying is no survival horror. And again, why everyone thinks that in Lovecraft-land you can't fight? In the "Dunwich Horror" the titular horror is killed. It's simply that the Greater things are so far removed and utterly alien that humans can do nothing. But that's another discussion.

-A specific problem in this game is the inexplicably locking and unlocking doors. Somehow killing some eastern bandits in the garden opens up another door in the kitchen.

:lol: I remember this. It's the finest retarded video-game logic. And the spawns!

- The game gets much more enjoyable whenever there are no howlers. The flying melee guys are annoying as well, but at least they are flying at you so it makes sense for them to change their trajectory. Howlers just curve and fly at you mid jump.

And you spend, what, 70% of the game fighting them? From an atmospherefag point of view, they are nicely designed enemies, but they are annoying as fuck.

- Damage on nightmare is fucking stupid sometimes. For instance, the shaman dudes in the last level drop me in a single lightning hit, at least I think it's lightning. One moment I'm at 85 HP next I'm watching an unskippable execution animation. Speaking of which...

Why the hell you played a game where you can enjoy, at best, the nice setpieces, graphic and sound design, on Nightmare? This is insanity! The game was clearly barely tested for gameplay balance.

- The story doesn't work. It's supposed to be a Lovecraftian tale i.e. the horrors are caused by aliens or interdimensional creatures. Well, why am I supposed to be scared of them if I effortlessly kill every single thing I encounter while they literally, literally, can't hurt me.

- The ending is completely not cliche and is very surprising. Since you can't see my face or hear the inflection in my voice I'll just go ahead and state that this is a sarcastic comment. If you think you know where the story is going you are probably right.

Obvious sequel hook. But again, I was so sick of it that I liked the ending. IT'S OOOOOOOVEEER

A horse of course

Jericho did a better job of GRIMDARK atmosphere (still a considerably worse game tho).

I liked the Roman Bathhouses overflowing with shit and blood :incline:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jericho did a better job of GRIMDARK atmosphere (still a considerably worse game tho).

I liked the Roman Bathhouses overflowing with shit and blood :incline:

Not only those bathhouses, it had excellent art direction overall. I still absolutely dig those crazy crusaders with armour nailed to their bodies and limbs amputated in lieu of weapons. Or the babylonian demons of the original Jericho-like priests in the last level. Or the nazi flesh golems created from multiple fused soldiers. Yum.

Just a shame the gameplay was, well... eeeeeeehhhhh

sser

Arcane
Developer
Clive Barker's Undying is a gem. At least the first 2/3rds of the game, anyway.

Also, I quite liked many of the features others are ragging on. In particular, the way the camera jolted when you got struck. I still remember being jumped by a group of monsters, one hitting me, and my camera swinging up just as I fired a shot, punching a hole in the ceiling. For some reason that just tickles the 'cinematic' part of my brain, like the main character went "whoa shit!", falling backwards and popping a shot off into nowhere. It beats the steeled methodical approach of other shooters, especially when you take Undying for a horror game. Then again, it becomes a straightfaced shooter eventually at which point a lot of those criticisms make sense... but that first 2/3rds? Awesome. Especially the first act.

In a way, though, the game is a pretty good simulation of Clive Barker's actual writing: very tense, horrific build up which eventually devolves into schlocky action-gore.

M0RBUS

Augur
nah, I don't watch/read LP. Either I play a game or I do not, but watching others play games is boring to me, regardless whether the game itself is interesting or not.
For me, it's more about the listening than the watching. I either keep the LP going on my second screen, or I simply minimize and listen to the commentary, taking a peek when something interesting happens.
Most of the times, it's not about the game, it's about who plays it.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
In a way, though, the game is a pretty good simulation of Clive Barker's actual writing: very tense, horrific build up which eventually devolves into schlocky action-gore.

Barker joined the development somewhat late in the cycle. He helped re-write some sections, such as changing the protagonist into the younger and more relatable Patrick Galloway—originally the protagonist was supposed to be the middle-aged Magnus Wolfram, whose model is the shaman killed by Patrick during the WWI intro sequence—and he also came up with some queer ideas that thankfully didn’t make the cut, like Lizbeth giving birth to the Howlers (including a cutscene) instead of seducing them into servitude. And most importantly it allowed the devs to write his name on the box.

By comparison he was involved with Jericho from the start and it shows.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom