Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
And to cap this pointless post off, does anybody have some nice recommendations on forgotten gems? Started to collect FPS games the last year and feel the need to add something to the collection.
Not all forgotten gems but here are some FPS that are not your list:
Blood, check out http://blood.nanoaugur.net/
Speaking of Blood, the whole package is € 1.6 (70% OFF) on GOG today.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Risen 2 - Dark Waters

3MTgl2s.jpg

P8g55U1.jpg

jZ5LLKm.jpg

hUT3P2M.jpg

neY6h97.jpg

SHsPhUr.jpg

pyZmvr8.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
81IXtrr.jpg

The beginning of the nightmare.

Zgt0CHK.jpg

A very inqusitive hobo looking at us.

DvxFiJb.jpg

Abandoned metro station.

JyCXpVO.jpg

They can't wait for my train to stop.

RiQqrWF.jpg

You look like a guys from Kingpin. Tough nail to beat.

oyQXF6p.jpg

A friendly advice.

Q6MKYMy.jpg

:rage:

WtcFEUW.jpg

Tasteful art direction [1eyedking]

SbKmU2Z.jpg

:what:

This is not Ethan Thomas we are playing. Change his name Jace!

web.jpg

nYxhmOQ.jpg

Tell me about it.

npARYO5.jpg

Someone doesn't know school is out for summer.

AC75jGO.jpg

Another familiar face. This time it's a hungry Kingcomrade.

hM39Gvx.jpg

:killitwithfire:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
ItWNFw8.jpg

This car is insane. Love the way the jet engine sucks in peds.

The AI is unable to drive it so I didn't bother ever trying it out, but goddamn it's fast, very detailed too.

r3jonwah85

Savant
Quake, Doom, Heretic, Hexen 1/2, Red Faction, Sin
That's some good stuff, bro.
STRIFE, make sure to disable all the popamole features if you end up getting the recent re-release.
Good suggestion. Sort of proto- Deus Ex running on Doom engine.
Arguably the best Build engine game. DN3D and Shadow Warrior are good too (DN3D less so) but Blood is the best.
Powerslave (aka Exhumed)
Only played the demo.
Chasm: The Rift, this "Quake clone" uses an interesting engine, it's not a great game though
Still p. good. Nice visuals and good mechanically. Shame about the length and levels being essentially 2D with virtually no z-axis, not even to the extent of Doom engine games.
HλLF-LIFE
Yes! A bit linear, but very strong gunplay, cool aliens and strong overall mechanics. :salute:
Another legend. Blew everything else out of the water with technical aspects, atmosphere and AI.
Unreal Tournament
Also yes, at least as long as you want some MP or botmatch. Or modding platform.
Then there are tons of great custom maps for Doom and Quake.
There are tons of awesome camapigns for Unreal too. Some running in vanilla, some requiring UT.

Anyway some of my own recommendations:

System Shock 1 & 2.
Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (although it's more of an outdoor power armor simulator, than typical FPS).

From a bit more modern games, STALKER SoC and CoP.

Eradicator
A decent one too. About DN3D age, suffers a bit from some of the traits Quake 2 has - bland and monotonous environments, and enemies without much personality. Still it has a lot of diverse weaponry and some cool and innovative features to make up for that.
Oh, watching intro will make you cry brain cells - it's so beyond B-movie cheesy.

System Shock 2 I got and played back in the day, the first one is really expensive to get :negative: Unreal is actually great to coop, so that is recommended even if one has played it in single player. Stalker series I got and have played, nice games that actually feels modern compared to the other games on this list but in a good way. Eradicator I actually played as a kid, but I just might pick it up cheap on the current indie bundle. I remember liking the Terra Nova demo way back, will look into if it is worth getting so thanks for that one. Just picked up some new games to add (it is getting harder and harder to find good games so now we are getting into the OKish territory for some of these games):
007: Nightfire (GoldSrc engine)
Die Hard Nakatomi Plaza (Lithtech engine)
Rune (not shooter but still Unreal Engine 1 and has that nice fluid gameplay that actually feels like a game)
Iron Storm
Vietcong
Project Snowblind
Codename: Outbreak (pre-Stalker series)
Singularity (Raven software still got it apparently, nice to know)
Dead man's hand (seems decent enough)

Last edited:

r3jonwah85

Savant
System Shock 2 I got and played back in the day, the first one is really expensive to get :negative:

It is free, and with improved controls and true mouse-look.

https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=211.0

Thank you, will download that one to keep on my hard drive (might already have it somewhere actually), but I am kind of retarded and want to own a physical copy of the games I play nowadays, probably a backlash from my youth when an obscene amount of pirating took place. I actually still download the games so that I am able to keep the games I buy wrapped in the plastic since it breaks my heart to open them up, but at least that is justifiable (although stupid).

Comte

The human empire of Codexia was expanding quite nicely until the research planet RK47 Decided to Rebel

iEtwL4hvHEjNH.png

Imperial troops were sent in to quell the rebellion

iqQ1Isu2o2HTH.png

Order restored

idIwS1kQQvpK6.png

Machocruz

Arcane
My humble quarters
ULUS10391_00003_zpsvqiqw4iz.jpg

Another day at the settlement. Quaint and serene
ULUS10391_00004_zpspcwtohel.jpg

Checking in with the elder to inquire about today's tasks.
ULUS10391_00000_zpstzexzfz9.jpg

Please make the jungle safe again by eradicating the indigenous wildlife. Saps are the same no matter what world or genre.
ULUS10391_00006_zps2kzzr1tw.jpg

Arriving at mission camp with my feline squire
ULUS10391_00007_zpst0fao5gz.jpg

Contemplating the mysteries of cultures long forgotten. A moment of reflection before battle.
ULUS10391_00009_zpsthcjqohn.jpg

We find our quarry in the jungle's cavern system. It puts on its war face.
ULUS10391_00013_zpslvokm2jk.jpg

The battle is swift and furious. No time to record footage as his minions put on relentless pressure. The battle does not last long thanks to my recently acquired Japanese steel. I like to capture rather than kill (better rewards), but even when on the verge of death, raptor-kin show no signs of weakness (i.e. trapability). They maintain their composure until death. A hard-edged lot of survivors, they.
ULUS10391_00016_zpsl6cahfpn.jpg

What it's all about, folks. Don't know if I'll craft the Velociprey armor set though. You have to pick your grinding battles in this game. Only the truly no-life dedicated will craft all the equipment.
ULUS10391_00020_zpspflnsywy.jpg

Photo- bombed during my moment of glory. Cheeky lizard.
ULUS10391_00023_zpsmevpwkxe.jpg

ULUS10391_00025_zps3bncqdqd.jpg

:updatedmytxt:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom