Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

racofer

Thread Incliner
Technology hasn't really gotten good enough to render mirrors yet. It's not computationally feasible.

DeepOcean

Arcane
They did truly reflective mirrors at that time because they didn't have the technology for high quality textures we have today. I'm convinced that they would place prerendered reflections everywhere at that time if it wasn't for the outdated technology. Duke Nukem had mirrors because the designers couldn't do better.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Sorry to break it to you, but all games do that because the reflections are prerendered.

lol

Quake_III_Arena_q3dm0.png

how do i prerender?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit that mission is atmospheric as fuck. It has that typical Thief level feeling of a place that seems both believe and slightly surreal, with a weird dreamlike quality to it. The sheer diversity of environments and the excellent lighting helps a lot there. My first impression was "oh no, a cavern mission, I don't like these too much" but then you entered a mine which serves a a thieves' lair, then come to a waterfall which I fell down, ended up in a crypt, climbed up and came out in a hammerite church which is part of a village with a peaceful and serene atmsophere, then I go climb back down to the mine so I can enter an abandoned and haunted prison that seems quite creepy because at first it is completely empty as you make your way down to the basement to switch the power on...

Great mission.

ZMoD4Px.png

ULq0gOS.jpg

S9oaRRK.jpg

Km3yFda.png

TvrSxBk.png

mwdthIC.jpg

mpw7GOX.png

NUai7MJ.jpg

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Damn this game is scary. Well not scary, but something in there that is just very unsettling. Have to play again tomorrow.

C89FE8E7B2D97B699368855F42ACB495390A0546

I toned down the saturation to default after that.

A5187F15E68A806699613A72D71991AEF2B4821D

The other screenshots are somehow not working -.- So I instead copypaste more pointless dayz screenshots

2287F51C782E23820D83FBA22549C8C99D7146AD

E182423FF8C3FA0736870B0FB25271678CE4E76B

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Crysis 1, still looks good for what it is - 7 years on:

JDZkNap.jpg

2007 particle physics:

XoDJtDv.jpg

DYya3IX.jpg

Still holds up against much of the current console-limited drivel getting crapped out by AAA devs.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Too bad they ruined the game with the alien crap.

It wasn't the aliens per se, it was the glacial pace of the Core level that sucked the life out of main quest, after which the game didn't really recover for the last 25%. My view is that the game goes steadily downhill mid-way through, but I do see potential with the later motifs - they just didn't have as good level design.

Crysis 1 to me is a sandboxy game just to muck around in, I like how from Contact to Awakening it does a decent job of not funneling the player too obviously. And the different ways to take on the DPRK using, say, just stealth and H2H. It still makes for a few hours of amusement, at least, for me.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah no, Crysis 1 now looks way worse. You can see how flat lighting is, how normal's are scarcely used.

Though in therms of shadows it is still amazing looking game. I have never seen another game that did ground shadows in night so well especially when you used flashlight.

A horse of course

Liberty Assassin's Freedom Creed 3: Democratic Republic Edition

:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:
:patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot::patriot:
:kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania::kwanzania:
TwWdM7L.jpg
sathSFs.jpg
yv3H3wM.jpg
Qtoakiw.jpg
fAvYWYU.jpg
0wUUwoi.jpg
pjQJCsi.jpg
IWxTqd2.jpg
GyprIbZ.jpg
sqdyCC6.jpg
dedLcGl.jpg
YZjFRnJ.jpg
pXakTco.jpg
z1Nk0S6.jpg
eRO4cXh.jpg
a2xdWAI.jpg
3EKHrNt.jpg
R7xUmWa.jpg
RXXR8Xu.jpg
ZcQB7un.jpg
5aJCcvB.jpg
4Jozgk1.jpg
EWQaIV8.jpg
d6xXXnu.jpg
WfPJBIf.jpg
IlYFUfy.jpg
J2DOYeN.jpg
QQxayki.jpg
L62YqNI.jpg
f4lY490.jpg
6ybuTRa.jpg

It's a pretty long game. I rushed through the story missions as fast as I could, avoided 95% of all sidequests, and didn't even touch the Liberation or Hunting activities, let alone the naval missions. It took me about 18hrs to finish Sequence 12. You coud probably shave a couple of hours off that if you took out some of the unskippable cutscene-esque sequences, and another hour or two of the shitty Desmond parts. It wasn't quite as bad as I'd heard, but I dislike the series in the first place. There are a lot of glitches, shitty mission design and the usual crappy sense of control over your character, but it didn't strike me as any notably worse than Revelations or Brotherhood.

I thought it worth mentioning that this is the first game I've played that uses Nvidia's TXAA method, which doesn't come out so well in still shots (it's most effective in motion) but looks vastly superior to the default AA method (probably FXAA or SMAA or something).

The Tyranny of King Washington DLC

:kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah::kwafuckyeah:

LmpEjwZ.jpg
tfKrImv.jpg
vPOed7f.jpg
CIrpWvn.jpg
6IXyVfz.jpg
Sck1WpX.jpg
5fte2gP.jpg
bPR6XsW.jpg
QNfpRZK.jpg
vOuIeBr.jpg
yHcrMJV.jpg
O8ZjZyc.jpg
vun7d8o.jpg
A4GkuJf.jpg

Another few hours of gameplay. Honestly it actually went on too long due to the lack of variety, general glitchiness and some frustrating missions. Cool idea but the novelty wore off pretty fast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom