Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Screaming Tabby: Let's Play Wing Commander 1 and special missions!

Gozma

Arcane
I want everyone to know what it was like going from great looking early '90s 256 color VGA cartoon graphics like WC1 and Lands of Lore to blurry low framerate pixellated FMV, I was like video games go2hell

Unwanted
Shitposter
Nazi death cult center of jew medicine avoidance
Here we go, final mission.

6PBjzxy.png

Even the save and load screen is cool. Awaken SCREAMING TABBY? YES PLEASE!

FcwnfzD.png

155 kills before my final mission. I think I usually get in the 160s, so I didn't do that great this time.

8oyw5F3.png
iEbfGQB.png

Oh yes! All their aces are gone. In retrospect, I should have let all their aces escape. If you do, then I believe you face ALL their aces in the final mission. Or is it the final system? not sure. I know I had to face some at very inoncenient times when I played through a few times.

k4aiIMC.png

VkPNsmH.png

NwWP0c0.png

OMG racis a blond person!

I like paladin. Too bad there is no speech in WC 1. WC 2 has speech but everything else is done more poorly.

o8U0Led.png

3dkpt6l.png

XkFzq1J.png

H4WPqgA.png

SmMxPQu.png

I like the bartender, too. The way he mops up the bar is even kind of 'tough'. Every character has something they do to give them a little personality.

I'll split this one up into several posts, which I should have been doing all along to keep pages from getting too clogged with images.

Unwanted
Shitposter
One last try. If I blow it I will just head on to secret missions.

HkgBDiP.png

2fJOP1L.png

This time the Fralthi cruiser goes down without a hitch.

qUN6yhY.png

VBQ69FA.png

Now it's graltha everywhere. These guys shoot a lot of missiles and if you accidentally ram them you are toast. I change up and just use my neutron cannosn this time as it's mathematically more efficient at least. Seems to work fairly well.

This time I take the coward's way out and leave a single damaged graltha hanging around and go after the base. Otherwise as soon as you clear one wave, the next is right there.

WX5dllt.png

The base goes up quickly since Hunter and I are both hammering it.

I take down the graltha and YET ANOTHER BIG WAVE comes in, this time Salthi. I take those down and next up it's Jalthi.

I take the coward's way out again, and flee. I've got a bunch of damage. So does Hunter and there's too much risk of being one-shotted by these guys.

Victory!!!

Unwanted
Shitposter
VV1W0E9.png

ibgxIs4.png

WIUiOcz.png

r4Y2rgQ.png

Sj9zLUy.png

AkFkidt.png

j2yOSE4.png

nmTGfy7.png

Fx1EMep.png

xBWwnwN.png

KX5ofHH.png

Thanks for reading along. One of my favorite games and I am not sure a let's play does it justice but I wanted to do one anyway since I think it deserves one and it's been a while since I played.

Like Gozma pointed out the graphics are really much better than most of what came after it for a super long time. Trying to play a lot of flight sims that quickly went to 3d was a pretty bland exercise. Even the hyper real ones of today don't have all that much flavor.

I really like cartoon style like this, where it is hand painted and not all japanized or weird. I wish games like that would make a comeback. Talented artists are better than tech any day of the week.

And the music. No need to even mention that. It blows almost everything today out of the water with amazing ease.

The difficulty is also difficult without being arbitrary or punishing. Very well balanced. 10/10 game, really. Everything about it led to an immensely satisfying game.

Hope you guys enjoyed it. I will do the secret missions as well, in a separate thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom