Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Competition Score up to $500 by designing RPG Codex' Corporate Branding (Logo & Business Cards) Competition

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just fooling around... ;) Love your effort and work on this...:thumbsup:

I vas not at all upset. But ja, I create only works of a highly . . stimulating nature.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
2qa1v1d.jpg

Card game?

Tigranes

Arcane
What's with all these nice, crisp, professional looking cards? Do you want Codex cards to just look like, I don't know, RPS?

It can be clean, simple, and still feature Clevian multii-headed monstrosities. I believe in you guys.

Tigranes

Arcane
So... you are familiar with RPS's business cards?

The plot thickens...... :M

When morning came, I found them coiled thick round my now shriveled appendage. I could remember little of what happened, save the manic look in the Brit's eye as he undid my trousers. It had started all so... professional. A routine PR trip for Pillars of Eternity. Josh rolled out the travel pack of Doritos. They said they were journalists. One had a voluminous ginger pimple, while another guffawed like a faux-Scot extra in a Braveheart parody. They gave us business cards. Then Josh left. Needs to groom his stubble, he said. But then he locked the door from the outside.

As I got up, a few more spilled out my other end. Looks like 10/10.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I'm not sure if this is what you asked for:

zv6Q7up.png

Which combo do you prefer?

This is pretty good work although I don't think any of them are quite "there" yet. They generally look professional and effectively communicate the necessary information. I do think there are a few areas that could be improved, however, particularly with alignment and contrast.

Fronts: all three card fronts have a troll icon with RPG Codex on his shirt, so having the RPG Codex name as its own text block in card 1 is redundant imo. I think you'd be better off going for something spare, elegant, and art-faggy, closer to cards 2 and 3. However, I'm not finding the centered icon alignment very satisfying. Try using the background from card back 3, i.e. the cropped troll close up, positioned in the left third of the card, with his eyes looking right. Alternately, flip him horizontally and have his eyes looking left. Experiment with different crops and arrangements until you find the one that looks best; as is, centered and (mostly) uncropped is just kinda plain and boring. You should probably also go for a darker gray, so that the troll is more visually striking: as is, if you squint, he kinda blends into the background.

Backs: I like the basic arrangement, but I'm concerned that the Troll icons make the design too busy. The background troll in particular in cards 1 and 3 reduces the contrast of the contact info. I do like though that the RPG Codex title and tagline and the cardholder Name and Title are the most visually prominent. I feel like there are some missed opportunities for alignment, particularly the +1 Trolling Box and the social media handles, all of which could potentially be left aligned with the "Codex" of the main title. That suggestion may look like shit, or not; I just know that my eyes are looking for a little more visual order and flow than what's currently there.

Your submissions have been the best ones so far, btw.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

I'm thinking that the only thing missing in felipepe's card is personalization and some sort of logo.

The solution could be to use the backside of the card. Either another razor image with the person's name, or something like this:

Or this:

Admittedly, that would half the prize money since it's two people's work, but you could also reduce the money for the Facebook/Twitter stuff and instead increase the payout for the business cards.

hello friend

Arcane
DU also requested a subtle MHD in the background. He may have been joking, but I've been thinking the same thing since page 1. This is needed. This is a must.

I imagine the best thing would be using some very subtle gray or something so it only shows up from the right angle, in strong light. That way the card looks professional, while still holding a hidden clue to the horrors that lurk on these hallowed boards.

Tormented Seph

Scholar
Hmm, I dunno. Looks a bit sharper now I think? Anyway, thx.
The bottom and top of the image seems to be cropped, I think that to fit the image at 100% you need to try using an image at 1600x421px for the visible part.
Vertically you can always fit it manually if the height exceeds the 500px reccomended by Twitter.
Just an example (I tried to put the angry mob just for a sketch to elaborate better):

HQWYZTG.png

Unfortunately the quality of the image is still lost during upload compression, but in this way you can avoid the cropping (it depends also on the screens resolution).

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
And a herald.

With a trumpet.

Who announces our reporters presence ahead of them at every GamesCon.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Well, the inconvenience of lugging an actual scroll around would piss the recipient off, which would be very codexian. And probably the sole positive of that idea.

Anyway, I finally got some time to throw at the codex.

A few card variants:
wezeuyT.jpg
Alongside a letterhead:
iGDiSqp.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom