Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Schwert und Magie (German text-based C64 RPGs)

Gord

Arcane
A few days ago I failed my nostalgia-roll and installed a C64 emulator (Vice) to check out some of the old games again.
I remembered one series of text-based german RPGs, which I used to play back in the days and managed to track them down (biggest problem was actually that I had forgotten their name).

So anyway, the series is "Schwert und Magie" (Sword and Magic), developed by a studio called GDG (abbreviation for german design group) in the years 1989-1992 (so pretty late in the C64 era).
There are 4 issues, each containing 2 independent adventures. All of them can be found online easily enough.
The games are completely text-based (edit: almost completely, sometimes there are simple diagrams and maps).

The system is rather barebones - you roll an character, who gets randomly assigned values (from 40-70 as far as I can tell) for the typical attributes (Str, Int, Dex, Cha, + Att and Def) and your hitpoints (around 30).
If you like it, you keep it, otherwise you roll another one. If you have an old char, you can load this one instead.
During the adventures you will of course fight monsters and at times have to pass checks on your attributes.

The adventures themselves are pretty short, about 1 hour probably, depending on how fast you read through the text, how many combat encounters you face or whether you get lost in the obligatory (but small) labyrinths.
Each one comes with a self-contained story (e.g. the first one has you find a magic plant, in the second one you explore an old temple in the desert). The writing is nothing special, but serviceable and reminiscent of old PnP adventure books, so it gets an extra point for nostalgia from me.
They also aren't afraid from trolling the player a bit - e.g. you can have made it through the entire adventure and completed the main objective, only to fail the last die roll and be denied a proper reward.
Speaking of rewards - if you solve the adventure in the "right" way, you get the opportunity to raise your attributes so you can play the next adventure with the same, but stronger char. Equipment however is not saved in between adventures, so except for "leveling up", there's no way to improve your char in between adventures (you can find better stuff for the duration of an adventure, though).

The games also seems to be ironman - you have one savefile, which gets erased upon the start of your adventure and there's no save or load within an adventure (although you can use your emulator to create a save, but more to that later).

There are two three quirks I found a bit annoying.
1st, they seem to do some scaling - I'm almost sure that a weak char is facing significantly weaker/fewer enemies than a stronger one, so having a "good" char doesn't really make the game easier.
2nd, Breaking of the 4th wall. They like doing that in form of short advertisement for other games made by them, or by placing "real" objects in their game (e.g. a Coke tin-can).
3rd, all rolls are pre-rolled at the beginning of the adventure. Every enemy you are going to meet, how the fight will play out or whether you pass an attribute check is decided once you start (with the exemption that the player can decide which enemy to attack or sometimes which attribute will be checked, so you have some limited influence there) - this also makes save states via emulator only useful to continue another time, save-scumming is out of question.
On the other hand it can be an annoyance if a otherwise easy section becomes almost impossible due to thr RNG screwing you over and placing too mny encounters there.

So anyway, anyone knows these games?

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
I have never heard of these games, they're not even on Mobygames. German Design Group is mainly known for Magic of Endoria. Amazingly they are still around, but they're only the German publisher for an Australian Board-Wargame now (and possibly a one-man operation, but it is one of the original group).
The name actually makes me think that those guys were fans of that game even back then, because the designers of World in Flames are called "Australian Design Group" and have been since its release in the 80s.
There is also a German Mobile developer called "Future Design Group", which has re-released GDG's C64 game "Die Dunkle Dimension" for mobile devices.
"Die Dunkle Dimension" is still being developed as a PnP RPG be the same guy who wrote the C64 version. You can download the 4200 page rulebook on his website. That's what happens when a German public service accountant writes an RPG rulebook.
[/random game trivia]

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Didn't see/play/hear of those. I think the only German game I played was called something like Keeper of the 7th Key, like the Helloween album, even using the album art in the opening, but can't find it anymore and also not 100% sure about the title :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom