Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Scars Of War Will Be Politically Correct

A stronger character would be able to use heavier armour, heavier weapons not to mention swing those heavier weapons a lot faster. The usual strength/dexterity - agility payoff. If those weapons connect, they are going to cause a LOT of damage, particularly if the fencing/dueling type character has little armour.

When I think about it, I don't understand why strength is rarely a major factor for hitpoints. Constitution was always meant as someone who healed quicker, less likely to become sick, etc rather than being better at taking blows from an adversary. This is more of a strength trait I would have thought.

As for the rogue/thief business - what are they in this game? Another virtual fighter like in other new CRPG's? or what they were before ie: a weaker, lighter individual who new how to get to loot, poison people, hide, and backstab but would be cut down in no time in a stand up fight with a real warrior?

Naked Ninja said:
What helps balance it in SoW is the fact that weapons and armor have strength requirements, and that fatigue cost for things like swinging weapons is based on how heavy the weapon is VS your strength.

So a Conan type might be able to swing a two handed sword around for ages while an agile fighter would be more accurate and deadly in the short term, but tire quicker, and will generally be using lighter armor and weapons.

Strength also gives you bonus hit points (less than Endurance, but some), so you can take more punishment, as well as multiplies your damage when you hit.

Still not sure it is balanced, but we'll see. I want all 3 builds ( brute fighter/ quick fighter/ balanced fighter ) to be viable.

Disregard my last post, you basically answered the questions therein.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Heh, glad you agree with my design ;)

As for the rogue/thief business - what are they in this game? Another virtual fighter like in other new CRPG's? or what they were before ie: a weaker, lighter individual who new how to get to loot, poison people, hide, and backstab but would be cut down in no time in a stand up fight with a real warrior?

Nope. The thief falls into the 'Agent' archetype in SoW. The 3 primary character development Paths* are Warrior / Agent / Mage. The agent uses skills to avoid, manipulate or trick foes, rather than face them directly. So a thief / rogue / spy character isn't a light fighter, they're all about circumventing obstacles.

Agile/Light fighters are one of the builds for the Warrior path, along with things like the 'Brute Fighter' and 'Shield Wall' archetypes.

* I use the word 'Path' in reference to a grouping/category of skills, SoW is still skill based and you can mix and match skills from the various paths as you wish, creating assassins or rangers or whatever.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Also, I'm not sure I mentioned it before here but Charisma is gone in SoW (it's too much of a dump stat) and Social skills (Persuasion and Intimidation) are part of the Agent path (fitting in with the idea of agent skills being about circumventing problems and tricking people).

* The reason this is important is that the game is designed around supporting at least 1 solution per path type through the various challenges. Since social skills aren't an independent Path, but part of the agent path, you won't be able to talk your way out of every situation. You may need to sneak or pick pockets or use trap mastery.

I'm sure some people would like to play a pure diplomat, I'm sorry to say that isn't part of the design in SoW, speech won't get you out of 100% of situations. You can play a pure agent and find a non-combat solution to challenges, but not a pure SpeechBoy type.

Sounds fairly good so far. I also prefer a skill system, if well balanced, to the rigid class system, which only really fits in to a full party based CRPG.

hiver

To balance Strength with other skills you need to enhance its influence rather then reduce influence of other skills.

Strength seems naturally logical as something that would affect intimidation skill, no?

For example.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Do you guys realize that a 2 handed sword would have averagely the same weight per one hand as an arming sword?

BlackAdder said:
When I think about it, I don't understand why strength is rarely a major factor for hitpoints. Constitution was always meant as someone who healed quicker, less likely to become sick, etc rather than being better at taking blows from an adversary. This is more of a strength trait I would have thought.

Stronger people do not necessarily take punishment better. In fact, Dexterity once again would play a part, since not taking the full impact of the attacks plays a bigger part in lessening the damage than flexing your muscles - and since HP isn't an accurate count of your health, but merely a measure of how well you're doing, you can have things like D&D's Evasion halving the damage of an attack.

http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-stra ... hes-better

STRENGTHEN YOUR NECK
There are many special exercises that boxers use to strengthen their neck muscles. Kickboxers and many other fighting arts use them too. They allow you to build stronger neck muscles to keep your head from being whiplashed too hard when you take a punch. While this doesn't exactly build your chin, per say, it will decrease the chances of you losing consciousness from a punch.

ROLL WITH THE PUNCHES
If you've ever sparred a pro before, you'll find that it's nearly impossible to ever hit them square. Even clean punches to their head don't feel clean. They have mastered the art of spinning their head or body away from your punch to decrease the damage. Easier said than done, of course. Here's how it works: if you're getting punched to the head, turn your head and flick your head away from the punch. If you're taking a punch to the body rotate your body so the punch passes throw and doesn't hit you solid. The hardest part about rotating the body is that you have to figure out what part of the body they're trying to hit. For example, (I use the orthodox stance), if someone were to throw a left hook to my body, I would turn my body clockwise to let the left hook pass through. Now if he was to throw a left hook to my head, I would still turn my body counter-clockwise in order to let the left hook through. This is just an example, different situations will mean you have to do different things. Don't take this step too literally!

--------

Awor said:
Do you guys realize that a 2 handed sword would have averagely the same weight per one hand as an arming sword?

Wouldn't it handle differently, though? Momentum, etc. It's still a heavy weapon, I think you'd need Hulk arms to compensate to the point of treating it like "just weight" and swing it around like you were holding two arming swords.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Clockwork Knight said:
Awor said:

Wouldn't it handle differently, though? Momentum, etc. It's still a heavy weapon, I think you'd need Hulk arms to compensate to the point of treating it like "just weight" and swing it around like you were holding two arming swords.
Not really, it's just 5-6 pounds. I can throw about 15 fast punches with 9 pound weighs (in one hand) and I have strength around 8. Swinging a 6 pound sword with two hands would be a piece of cake.
Take a look at these guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hfLZozBVpM
None of them has hulk arms.

The main problem with low-medium strength would be that you wouldn't be able to do terrifying shit like cutting people in two.

hiver

Which is an excellent feature you could reserve for high strength.
Or being able to do some heavy lifting or otherwise influence the gameworld - environment etc.

there is really a lot you can do with high strength to make it more desirable and interesting then just stupid "bigger damage lol"

PorkaMorka

Arcane
While it's hugely abstracted and probably as much for game balance as anything...

Strength gives "to hit" in D&D because the "to hit roll" is actually a "to hit and meaningfully penetrate armor" roll.

Having 18/00 Strength allows you to take your sword and jam it right through the links of someone's mail, or take your mace and cave in his helmet like a pumpkin.

Agile weaklings have to aim for the vulnerable parts, which is hard, unless you take weapon finesse.

Not entirely realistic, but that's the reasoning.

hiver

Excuses. Nothing more.
Regardless of that or any other form of similar fake excuse what i said still stands.

hiver

And thats why out of all codex youre on my ignore list.

What?

The legends say someone could decapitate several people in one blow? Legends? Was it Pier or the other fellow who wielded the same size sword as he did?

And he could bend coins with three fingers. Hear that Gareth?
I want to bend coins in SoW. My character will be called Bender.

denizsi

Arcane
:M

I didn't even think of anything like that^, I only linked to it because the sword that's believed to have belonged to him is unusually long and heavy (6.6 kg - 14.6 lb) even for two-handers.

But that's what butthurt is like I guess; it moves mountains to make meets end.

:salute: for being an exceptional :retarded:

hiver

yeah, that would be true if you posted it after someones post about weight of the swords.

back to the basement darling.

hiver said:
And thats why out of all codex youre on my ignore list.

Wait, then why are you arguing with him
emot-psyduck.gif

btw, denizsi, I already linked that article up there, on the "hulk arms" part

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Naked Ninja said:
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:
In some cases it can be interesting to explore gender differences, but I don't think it's appropriate for zombie-shooter escapism.
And that's what you think Scars of War is?

Yes, that's exactly what I think Scars of War is. Well done.
Don't be gay. You know what I mean. "Zombie shooter escapism" connotes a certain level of attachment expected of the gamer. It's a type of gamer attitude. Alternately, you can do "a dark fantasy RPG set in a world of conspiracy and intrigue, decimated by war." But pick one, because you can't do both.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Strength is not the decider in many battles. This is more of a Dungeons and Dragons trope than anything else. Decent games have Dexterity/Agility as the major 'to hit' modifier, as it should be, along with training and experience.

A giant cleaver may well cause untold hurt, however, if a lithe fencer has already stuck his/her sword through your throat and/or innards, well, all the strength wouldn't help in the world.

Fucking bullshit, and this video shows you why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
fizzelopeguss said:
Blackadder said:
Strength is not the decider in many battles. This is more of a Dungeons and Dragons trope than anything else. Decent games have Dexterity/Agility as the major 'to hit' modifier, as it should be, along with training and experience.

A giant cleaver may well cause untold hurt, however, if a lithe fencer has already stuck his/her sword through your throat and/or innards, well, all the strength wouldn't help in the world.

Yeah, it shows that when you wait before dealing the killing blow, you're fucking dead.

Alex

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:
In some cases it can be interesting to explore gender differences, but I don't think it's appropriate for zombie-shooter escapism.

Don't be gay. You know what I mean. "Zombie shooter escapism" connotes a certain level of attachment expected of the gamer. It's a type of gamer attitude. Alternately, you can do "a dark fantasy RPG set in a world of conspiracy and intrigue, decimated by war." But pick one, because you can't do both.

Sorry, but did you really not realize he was talking about Left 4 Dead 2? Or are you just trolling, Dicksmoker?

fizzelopeguss said:
Blackadder said:

Jarl Frank hit the nail on the head. Cunningham had Roy totally outclassed. If he had cut off Roy's head, or ran him through straight away, he could have been back pleasuring himself on Mrs MacGregor (who secretly enjoyed the first bout immensely) before tea time. With plenty of guineas in his purse to boot.

analt

Scholar
waywardOne said:
Silellak said:
If you want to be really specific, you should bitch about the fact that attributes can't change over time - ie, you're stuck with whatever strength you "rolled" on birth.

1st ed d&d would give bonuses and penalties to rolled stats based on age, e.g. -1 INT/+1 STR at the youngest playable age or +1 WIS/-1 CON at the oldest. i think lives were divided into 5ths with only the middle 3rd as rolled. of course, this was also back when a Haste spell knocked a year off your life expectancy.
When did this go away? I never use Haste for this larping reason. ''Hold still Conan, I just need to slowly kill you with my arcane energies.''

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
You faggots don't get it, rob roy fought like a soldier with none of the pissing about, he went for the fucking head.

If he had cut off Roy's head, or ran him through straight away

With what? that little toothpick? archie got outmanned....period and ended up with a gash from his neck to his arsehole.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Alex said:
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:
Dicksmoker said:
Naked Ninja said:

Sorry, but did you really not realize he was talking about Left 4 Dead 2? Or are you just trolling, Dicksmoker?
Everyone in this thread was talking about Scars of War, though, and he was responding to them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom